E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Review: DTUK CRD-T box for 2007 330D

10-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Thumbs up Review: DTUK CRD-T box for 2007 330D

Let me start by saying I’ve owned and driven both remapped and boxed diesels before, and I’m fully aware of all the pros and cons for each option. However, in my experience, the box felt faster than the remap, despite having almost identical figures on paper, and I can only assume that’s to do with the way the power is delivered.

The other factor that’s swayed me towards a box again, is the new MOT regulations. Nobody’s quite sure yet what exactly they will and won’t be able to see, do or check, but there is a specific reference to alterations to the ECU – and I thought a box that could be physically removed was a better option.

The CRD-T box has 4 pre-loaded maps, each with different manipulations of fuelling and boost levels, and then each of these maps is adjustable by +/- 10,20 or 30% to fine tune it to suit each individual car.

Map 1

This is the ‘basic’ CRD-T map. First impressions are VERY good. The usual sluggish response before the turbo spools up has completely disappeared; the car feels responsive and lively with even the lightest squeeze of the throttle. The first mile of my drive to work is uphill, over speed humps, and it’s always felt like I’ve had to work the cold engine quite hard with the constant speeding up and slowing down. This morning, the car sailed over that section, never having to raise the revs, as there was so much more torque, even at 1000rpm.

And then I got onto the dual carriageway and put my foot down that instant power delivery didn’t disappoint, and it pulled strongly right through to 4k rpm, when I looked at the speedo and realised I was in license losing territory

Contrary to what I thought, and something that I’m very happy about, it doesn’t seem to have affected the accuracy of the OBC at all. I know that a round trip to work would always return 35mpg previously, and after resetting the trip computer before leaving home, it showed 37.1mpg arriving back at home 40 miles later – even after driving a bit harder than I normally would, just enjoying the extra power available. If that continues, that’s going to be extra miles out of every tank – the box will pay for itself in no time!

Map 2

This map has the same boost levels as Map 1, but slightly increased fuelling. Despite this, it doesn’t feel quite as responsive under light throttle, or quite as smooth as Map 1. The difference is noticeable once you put your foot down though, the power comes in even harder OBC showed 39.6mpg for the same journey, which is an outstanding increase in economy given the power hike, but I think for my driving style, and the majority of the journeys I do, Map 1 is better suited. This would better suit someone who drives hard a lot of the time, which to be fair, I don’t.

Map 3

Same fuelling as Map 1 this time, but with increased boost. Instantly felt much better than Map 2, the initial responsiveness that I’d enjoyed from Map 1 was back, and the extra boost gives a lovely smooth delivery of power right through to the redline. Typically, when I’m trying to do a comparative test, my trip to work with this map was in very heavy traffic :mad: I’ll see what the OBC says when I get home, but this is almost definitely the one I’m going to stick with. It suits my driving style and the car perfectly.

Map 4

This map has no extra boost at all – it’s just increased fuelling, the same as (presumably) the CRD2 or Red/Green boxes. TBH I’m not going to try this one, it seems counterintuitive to run a 1-channel map on a box that can manage 2. I’m sure there’s a reason for having it, but with 3 other choices, I don’t feel like I’m missing out

Now I’ve decided I’m sticking with Map 3, I need to adjust the power to get the most out of the box. I'll try +10% tomorrow, then +20% if that doesn’t cause any problems. Then I need to think about telling the insurers… Gulp!

All in all, a great big for DTUK, Andrew himself, and the CRD-T box.
      10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I've always preferred straight re-maps in previous cars - but I found after the first few months, the fuel economy plummeted. Really badly. My E46 330cd dropped to 29mpg around town - and couldn't manage over 41-42mpg on a motorway. The Mk5 GTi was the same - first few months, there were encouraging signs of the fuel economy increasing by 4-5mpg - then after a year it started dropping below 20mpg!

My 330d has a tuning box also, it has managed a consistent 38mpg around town and will do 48-50mpg on a 20+mile motorway run.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between re-maps and box's - in terms of power delivery. How good or bad they are for the engine is debatable - but I will say this, why would any company even think of selling a device with a 5 year engine warranty, or however long it may be, if they had any idea's it would damage the engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Be careful in this shitty weather mate - 500ib's ft of torque is pretty dangerous in the ever increasing greasy conditions. Just tonight, i prodded the accelerator on a slight curve, in 4th doing 45ish and the back started sliding.

good luck and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Good point - I'll see how it goes but I may consider taking it off when the weather gets really bad.
      10-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

You say increased boost, is this a new device that doesnt plug in to the fuel rail?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Great write up Paul, and glad to hear that you've experimented with the various files too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I've always preferred straight re-maps in previous cars - but I found after the first few months, the fuel economy plummeted. Really badly. My E46 330cd dropped to 29mpg around town - and couldn't manage over 41-42mpg on a motorway. The Mk5 GTi was the same - first few months, there were encouraging signs of the fuel economy increasing by 4-5mpg - then after a year it started dropping below 20mpg!

My 330d has a tuning box also, it has managed a consistent 38mpg around town and will do 48-50mpg on a 20+mile motorway run.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between re-maps and box's - in terms of power delivery. How good or bad they are for the engine is debatable - but I will say this, why would any company even think of selling a device with a 5 year engine warranty, or however long it may be, if they had any idea's it would damage the engine?
We dont offer a 5 year engine warranty, but do have product liability insurance in place, for an occasion that a module causes damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
You say increased boost, is this a new device that doesnt plug in to the fuel rail?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Good point - I'll see how it goes but I may consider taking it off when the weather gets really bad.
after running the same kit on our 335D i would suggest replacing the module with the blanking plug Paul, as the extra torque will be wasted when the white stuff hits the roads
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
The system connects to the turbo pressure sensor, as well as the common rail. Increases the boost slightly, as well as increasing the fuelling.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Nice, how much extra pressure can you (safely) fool the ECU in to letting it run?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well, map 3 +10% worked beautifully, I'll try the +20% tomorrow and see.
      10-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

Great write up Paul, appreciate the effort you have gone to. Im so wanting one of these but i might wait until spring when the weather starts to get better. It will be a waste to have the box but not have it connected. Sounds great though.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Well, map 3 +10% worked beautifully, I'll try the +20% tomorrow and see.
Updates??

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List

Map 3 +20% is great too. Oodles of power, love driving all over again consumption for that tankful wasn't great - 33 compared to my normal 35mpg, but I did have a couple of long journeys stuck in traffic. I'll try again with this tankful and see how it goes, but in terms of driving pleasure, it's an absolute winner.
      10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Nice write up!

Thx for sharing the knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
In the interests of fairness, I though it only right I should add that my engine management light came on tonight as I floored it, joining the motorway. I'll give it overnight and see what happens, but it's possible that even after having it fitted for a few weeks with no problems I may have to go back to the +10% setting.
      01-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
New year update

Whatever that EML was, it hasn't happened again. The car is running beautifully, way too much torque for the winter tyres though

Consumption is absolutely unchanged since I fitted the box. Trip computer is showing 5-10% more mpg, but calculating it brim to brim, I'm getting exactly the same 35mpg I always did.

The only question now is what next? Brakes don't need replacing for another (idrive estimated) 20k, so I'm loathe to waste all that perfectly good pad material unnecessarily. Suspension feels OK, but the car's on 93k now and it's probably getting tired. I quite fancy the M3 subframe bushes, but if I'm dropping the subframe I may as well fit M3 (or equivalent) ARBs while I'm there. That's about £300 on parts and a hefty labour charge - I don't fancy pressing bushes or dropping the subframe on my driveway.

Then there will be no point having all that fitted without replacing the dampers and springs, so there's another £600, but those I'll fit myself.

Decisions, decisions...
      01-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #17
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Just read this thread for the first time. Being a fellow 330D owner I always had my doubts about tuning box's. Seems they have come on along way in the last few years. Be interesting to see some dyno results of the various different settings you have available!

Very happy with my Evolve map, too early to say if the fuel consumption has improved but its currently sitting on 38mpg, best i've ever had is 34mpg so we'll see how it changes at the next fill up!

One thing that i'm interested in is the DPF delete, might not be for everyone but for few extra horses and not to mention MPG increase it might be something i'm looking into over the next 6 months.

LSD might be something else to look at but there not cheap!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, DPF delete I'm saving for as and when I have a problem with it. I can write it off in my moral chequebook as essential maintenance that way
      01-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
parksy340
Rep
Drives: 335d

where is the best place to get the dpf deleated
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Won't the DPF delete now fail the MOT...(which is a good thing IMO) 330d's shouldn't blow smoke and it wold make those lovely pipes all dirty
      01-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #21
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It shouldn't do - cat removal is a fail, because it interferes with the emissions on a petrol engine. From the MOT manual Section 7.4 on the VOSA website:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm

Quote:
Reason for Rejection

1. The exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a period of 5 seconds at idle

2. The exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration which would obscure the view of other road users

Note: The criterion is density and not volume of smoke. The description ‘dense smoke’ includes smoke or vapour which largely obscures vision.
A well maintained engine shouldn't produce anywhere near that quanity of smoke.
      01-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
It shouldn't do - cat removal is a fail, because it interferes with the emissions on a petrol engine. From the MOT manual Section 7.4 on the VOSA website:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm

A well maintained engine shouldn't produce anywhere near that quanity of smoke.
jeez, that is so daft that a cat removal is a fail, but a DPF isn't.

DPF stops all those dangerous (to people's lungs) small particles getting released... shame

Last edited by TMP; 01-08-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0