E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > (another) Bluetooth Retrofit Thread

07-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
jkrew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

(another) Bluetooth Retrofit Thread

I'm getting ready to start sourcing parts for a bluetooth retrofit and I just wanted to clear up a few last questions.

Car is a '07 328i with no navigation and no BMW assist. Since it is a U.S. E90, I'm assuming I will be pre-wired (I will double check anyway).

I'm only looking to retrofit Bluetooth - no BMW assist.

Questions:

1. I have determind that a ULF (vs a TCU) module would be more appropriate for my retrofit since I'm only looking for Bluetooth. What is the difference between the different ULF modules?

ULF
MULF (same as ULF I believe)
MULF2

2. Is the mounting bracket the same for both the ULF and the TCU? Part #65159135687

3. Since I'm only looking to add Bluetooth - I do not need an FZD - correct?

4. Do I need to purchase a Bluetooth loudspeaker? Part # 65136938657. Or will my car already have it?

My shopping list as of now:

Bluetooth Antenna #84506928461 - $20.86 (ECS Tuning)

Bluetooth Microphone #84316938762 - $52.66 (ECS Tuning)

Module Bracket # 65159135687 - $12.77 (ECS Tuning)

ULF - ~$200 (eBay)

Total - $286.29

By searching I have found all the retrofit PDF's and read through the guides - although a lot of the information is so old I don't think it's relevant anymore.

I'm going to attempt to code it myself (if necessary) with the help of the tutorials available. Otherwise I will look for a local coder or take it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Just FYI - I read that all US cars were pre-wired as well, but my 2011 E93 M3 was not. I had to run the wire from the bluetooth antenna back to the trunk (it was not pre-wired and tied back like I've read on these forums). Perhaps its because I have an E93 (convertible) and I know there are some weird differences.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

TCU is for bluetooth and BMW assist.
MULF2 is for bluetooth and USB/AUX in

bracket for TCU and MULF2 is the same just that TCU is mounted ontop and MULF below with the bracket sandwiched between.

you should already have a FZD (which controls your map lights etc.) just that you do not need to change your FZD since you do not want assist.

bluetooth loudspeaker is for BMW assist only. not necessary for bluetooth phone

since you are doing bluetooth retrofit, you may want to consider doing the USB (6FL) retrofit at the same time since both uses the same MULF2 module and both requires coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Check out my thread, it will get you started. My friend and I are finish up our final install and will provide updates.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689846
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
jkrew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
since you are doing bluetooth retrofit, you may want to consider doing the USB (6FL) retrofit at the same time since both uses the same MULF2 module and both requires coding.
Is there a visual/part# way to differentiate a MULF from a MULF2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Check out my thread, it will get you started. My friend and I are finish up our final install and will provide updates.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689846
Subscribed. I was considering doing the iPhone eject box - but I heard the iPhone 5 is going to have a completely different dock connector.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrew View Post
Is there a visual/part# way to differentiate a MULF from a MULF2?
part # are different. even for MULF2 there are a few variations and part #. for example,
MULF2 HIGH
MULF2 HIGH BASIS SVS

the difference between the 2 is the SVS which is for voice control.

you can check out realoem to find out the difference part # and requirements for each module.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
jkrew
United_States
Rep

One more question - Assuming I'm only doing the bluetooth retrofit without the 6FL retrofit... Will I need to get the blue 54 pin MULF plug? Or will the White plug in my trunk plug right into the MULF2
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One more question - Assuming I'm only doing the bluetooth retrofit without the 6FL retrofit... Will I need to get the blue 54 pin MULF plug? Or will the White plug in my trunk plug right into the MULF2
I doubt it will work. just count and see how many pins the plug allow for. If it's not 54 pins, you'll need to buy the blue plug.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
I doubt it will work. just count and see how many pins the plug allow for. If it's not 54 pins, you'll need to buy the blue plug.
It's not amount of pins that's the issue; rather, it's the different male sliders are different to fit into the female MULF's receptacles. The white pin casing fits the TCU. The blue fits only the MULFs.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
jkrew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
It's not amount of pins that's the issue; rather, it's the different male sliders are different to fit into the female MULF's receptacles. The white pin casing fits the TCU. The blue fits only the MULFs.
Thank you both for all the help. I have all my parts on order - should be installing next week. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by jkrew; 08-08-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
jkrew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
part # are different. even for MULF2 there are a few variations and part #. for example,
MULF2 HIGH
MULF2 HIGH BASIS SVS

the difference between the 2 is the SVS which is for voice control.

you can check out realoem to find out the difference part # and requirements for each module.
I ended up with a MULF2 HIGH BASIS SVS. What is the voice control?

Also - I got all my parts in today. The white connector on the factory harness does not fit into the MULF2 - I had to swap it out with the blue 54 pin connector. You could also just discard the white pin connector and connect only the male pins into the MULF2 to save $10. Just wouldn't be as clean of an install and you risk connection issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also - I got all my parts in today. The white connector on the factory harness does not fit into the MULF2 - I had to swap it out with the blue 54 pin connector. You could also just discard the white pin connector and connect only the male pins into the MULF2 to save $10. Just wouldn't be as clean of an install and you risk connection issues.
voice control is when you press the button on your steering wheel, you can speak to the car and ask it dial numbers or a phone book entry.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

Is there a part number associated with the blue 54 pin connector ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Gizzy's_M235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
Part number is 61136920074
I got mine for 11.68 at getbmwpartsdotcom
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
are you the same person from bmw-sg?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
are you the same person from bmw-sg?
Yup .....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgiz13 View Post
Part number is 61136920074
I got mine for 11.68 at getbmwpartsdotcom

The title on their website says its a cover cap. Is that what this is/ what you bought?

Last edited by PichaDis11; 08-20-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
yellowbrick2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

I know this is an old thread... But I have an ulf and wanted to know if my 13th gen would work..

I used it on an e38 and all was great, no coding needed.
I know I need the blue plug and will order one, just want to know that it didn't fry you ulf.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

So did you ever get this working? Im doing the exact same thing to my car right now. I currently have no bluetooth, assist, or usb.. I have a '07 335i e92. Therefore its prewired for phone so half of the wiring is done. I have nothing installed yet. I also bought a usb inpa cable to code when its finished up.

So far i bought the following:
MULF2 high svs w/bracket(ebay-used)

On order:
Bmw BT mic
Bmw BT antenna
Blue 54 pin connector

Still need to figure out what im going to do with the usb. I found all the parts i need from other threads. We would need the usb fakra cable that plugs into the mulf and runs to the center console. I have the stock aux in and that would be replaced with a new usb/aux combo port. The usb fakra must be run from trunk to center console.

If you need part numbers here you go:

BLUETOOTH:
54 PIN MULF2 HI SVS CONN.

BLUETOOTH ANTENNA

BLUETOOTH MIC

USB PARTS:
CENTER CONSOLE USB/aux ADAPTER
(Must check existing aux in plug for either 4 or 6 pin connector so you order the correct new adapter)
6 PIN
4 PIN

USB FAKRA CABLE
WHITE FAKRA CABLE

Now heres the catch with the usb side of this conversion. The parts i listed will work. However the correct way to do this would be to buy the bmw usb hub and buy the two different fakra cables (black & white). But thats unecessary if you only want ONE usb slot. Therefore you order the white cable and one side of the cable will need to be modified to connect to the usb/aux adapter.(very easy, just need to sand down a groove) so you will make a direct connection from the mulf to the usb slot.

IF you want to go the other route. You need the bmw usb hub and one black fakra and one white fakra. I forget which one goes where but its very obvious. (Black fakra- 61119129361). This method adds over 140$ to the cost of the conversion to add another usb port(one in glove box and one in center console.

**EDIT: Next poster reminded me about another small detail i forgot. In an E90/E92 where AUX-IN comes standard. It is routed from the center console, under the CC forward to the Audio/Navi Head-Unit.

When using a MULF2, the AUX-IN wiring (3 wires) is routed fro, the center console to the rear trunk, into the correct pins of the MULf2 main connector...

And as far as I know, US-Spec car's are pre-wired for the telematics service, BMW calls it, up until model year 2009/2010.... So any pre-lci 100%, comes pre-wired for this setup, minus the Blue Wire Harness Cover to plug a MULF2 in instead of the usual TCU it is pre-wired for in the first place. But its basically a matter of buying the correct MULF2 style wiring harness swing-lock connector and installing, no major modifications needed.

Also the Fiber MOST system loop must be modified to accept the new deive(s) installed, while still being a complete loop.
Search for the official BMW 6fl retrofit pdf, it outlines basically everything you need to know and as well as being a great HOW-TO guideline, to do to correctly. Showing you step by step to install it, as-if it came from the factory as a preinstalled option.

Also do your research before you start your retrofit, because you might need just a TCU or just a MULf or possibly both... based on what options/features you want to add....

For a quickkk breakdown...
TCU is for the cell phone service for BMW Assist and Bluetooth phone calling..
MULF2 is for aux-in, USB port add-on, bluetooth calling as well.
MULF2 SVS is the same but adds Voice Commands to the MULF2. Kind of unnecessary in my opinion.

When you have I-Drive, the gps antenna is now plugged into the TCU or the MULF if equipped, in the truck. Instead of being plugged directly into the back of the idrive headunit... CCC or CIC. The GPS antenna signal is then transferred on the CAN-Network to the I-Drive HeadUnit...

Note: This makes it alott easier for someone doing a non-idrive to idrive retrofit. Totally off topic, but since I have done this very Retorfit, I know firsthand lol. Sure beats running a GPS style (blue connector) Fakra Extension Cable from the trunk to the back of the I-Drive HU...
Anthony

Last edited by AWDBooSTIn90; 11-03-2016 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #20
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
So did you ever get this working? Im doing the exact same thing to my car right now. I currently have no bluetooth, assist, or usb.. I have a '07 335i e92. Therefore its prewired for phone so half of the wiring is done. I have nothing installed yet. I also bought a usb inpa cable to code when its finished up.

So far i bought the following:
MULF2 high svs w/bracket(ebay-used)

On order:
Bmw BT mic
Bmw BT antenna
Blue 54 pin connector

Still need to figure out what im going to do with the usb. I found all the parts i need from other threads. We would need the usb fakra cable that plugs into the mulf and runs to the center console. I have the stock aux in and that would be replaced with a new usb/aux combo port. The usb fakra must be run from trunk to center console.

If you need part numbers here you go:

BLUETOOTH:
54 PIN MULF2 HI SVS CONN.

BLUETOOTH ANTENNA

BLUETOOTH MIC

USB PARTS:
CENTER CONSOLE USB/aux ADAPTER
(Must check existing aux in plug for either 4 or 6 pin connector so you order the correct new adapter)
6 PIN
4 PIN

USB FAKRA CABLE
WHITE FAKRA CABLE

Now heres the catch with the usb side of this conversion. The parts i listed will work. However the correct way to do this would be to buy the bmw usb hub and buy the two different fakra cables (black & white). But thats unecessary if you only want ONE usb slot. Therefore you order the white cable and one side of the cable will need to be modified to connect to the usb/aux adapter.(very easy, just need to sand down a groove) so you will make a direct connection from the mulf to the usb slot.

IF you want to go the other route. You need the bmw usb hub and one black fakra and one white fakra. I forget which one goes where but its very obvious. (Black fakra- 61119129361). This method adds over 140$ to the cost of the conversion to add another usb port(one in glove box and one in center console.
Including with this, you would need to have 4 or three wires to the MULF2 unit for the aux connection. The aux audio is routed through the MULF once connected to the car properly. Those pin outs I do have but are at home I will post it later.