E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Overboost spikes acceptable?

12-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i xdrive

Overboost spikes acceptable?

Is this amount of overboost acceptable or is it indicative of any issues? Boost target was around 13psi but actual boost spiked at 20.9psi for a short moment. Run in 3rd gear with WOT after 3k rpm

https://datazap.me/u/1897/log-157462...=0&data=3-4-13

2011 e90 n55
MHD Stage 2 (ver. 1.54)
VRSF charge pipe
VRSF downpipe
Injen Intake
Spec single mass flywheel
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

It is quite high.

So right at the same time as your boost spike, the throttle is closing. With closed throttle boost will build up and reach higher numbers than targeted because the pressure has no where to go so it only keeps up building.

Now I don't know if it's a part of the tuned DME strategy where if there is overboost, the throttle closes to restrict that over compressed air to get intaked in the cylinders or if it is simply an issue with irregular throttle closure that then has other repercussions like the overboost.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 12-02-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

inb4 boost solinoids

ugly is right though, eventually you'll get the 30ff/30fe code, but I would start trying to figure out where the boost is leaking from

As a test, flash the stage 2 7.1 Maps and do the same thing, see if u get throttle closures (i bet you wont)
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
It is quite high.

So right at the same time as your boost spike, the throttle is closing. With closed throttle boost will build up and reach higher numbers than targeted because the pressure has no where to go so it only keeps up building.

Now I don't know if it's a part of the tuned DME strategy where if there is overboost, the throttle closes to restrict that over compressed air to get intaked in the cylinders or if it is simply an issue with irregular throttle closure that then has other repercussions like the overboost.
Thanks. Let's see if MHD comments on whether this throttle closure is part of the tune. Any other reasons for irregular throttle closure?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
inb4 boost solinoids

ugly is right though, eventually you'll get the 30ff/30fe code, but I would start trying to figure out where the boost is leaking from

As a test, flash the stage 2 7.1 Maps and do the same thing, see if u get throttle closures (i bet you wont)
Thanks. Where would I find the 7.1 maps? Were you able to tell which maps I had from the charts?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1897 View Post
Thanks. Where would I find the 7.1 maps? Were you able to tell which maps I had from the charts?
So with Android, you have websites that contains all the previous versions of any App on the play store. Just google APK Mirror and you will get tons of website where you can search for MHD N55 e-Series and download previous versions of the app. I just do not know what version of the app matched the versions 7.1 for maps.

You can also tell which map and version of MHD that you are running by looking at your log. One of the log parameter always contains that information and it's generally the last parameter!

So you are not having throttle closure during your pull which indicated that it should be working good, it only happens when you shift and I believe that this is tune related honestly.

I am having a hard time with this throttle issue as well since it makes me overboost to 28 PSI on Stage 2+ so I had to go back to Stage 1+ and drive nicely. I have sent emails to Twisted Tuing and PMed him in here to see what might be my issue but he never replied.

Rough Knight is right, though. You should consider cheking or replacing the Boost Solenoid and the 2 vacuum lines on it since it is a bit of a common issue and the number 1 source for overboosting.