E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Do these symptoms sound like DTCactuator motor fail?

10-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Infidel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi MT s/p/c

Do these symptoms sound like DTCactuator motor fail?

My car has had the DTC triad for a couple months now but I have had this symptom for even longer. it started as choppy acceleration when starting out while turning and then progressing to this clunking noise when making slow turns that I had assumed was a suspension issue. I changed most of the front suspension and it remains.

When making a turn at low speed, if I am not giving it gas at the time ( think pulling into a spot) I will get a terrible clunk clunk clunk from what seems to be the front dif or the transfer case. it seems higly dependent on the steering angle with more angle being worse up to a point. Even if I push in the clutch while making the slow turn it still makes the noise.
However, if I cut power to the car while making the turn by hitting the start button, as soon as the engine cuts out the car smoothly continues through the turn without any noises or vibrations.

I am already in serious trouble with this car so this issue is giving me a lot of anxiety. Does this sound like it could be the stripped worm gear? Or is it something else entirely.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
My car has had the DTC triad for a couple months now but I have had this symptom for even longer. it started as choppy acceleration when starting out while turning and then progressing to this clunking noise when making slow turns that I had assumed was a suspension issue. I changed most of the front suspension and it remains.

When making a turn at low speed, if I am not giving it gas at the time ( think pulling into a spot) I will get a terrible clunk clunk clunk from what seems to be the front dif or the transfer case. it seems higly dependent on the steering angle with more angle being worse up to a point. Even if I push in the clutch while making the slow turn it still makes the noise.
However, if I cut power to the car while making the turn by hitting the start button, as soon as the engine cuts out the car smoothly continues through the turn without any noises or vibrations.

I am already in serious trouble with this car so this issue is giving me a lot of anxiety. Does this sound like it could be the stripped worm gear? Or is it something else entirely.
Sounds like bad outer CV joints on the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Sounds like bad outer CV joints on the front.
That wouldn't explain the issue going away when cutting the engine.
Appreciate 0