E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone experience afe stage 2 intake?

09-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

Anyone experience afe stage 2 intake?

I’m having a hard time getting the hose completly flush into the throttle body adapter. Every time I tighten completly down it’ll come off after really struggling with it. Any ideas?

I can get it in snug without the box. Hell dan I run it without the box and no lid? Just the intake hose with filter? The MAf connects to it so not missing the sensor
Attached Images

2006 330xi / sedan / black and saddle brown / sport, cold weather & premium / stock - mine! ( purchased 04/01/2014 )
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
You could run it with no box, but then you'd take a performance hit letting in hot air.
      09-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Alright thank you for the replies. If anyone has had it has anyone else had a hard time getting it on? Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Hiroyue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

So your missing the coupler that goes on the throttle body before the afe pipe adapter. The adapter does not go on the throttle body.
Nvm I see it now. So the way I did it was remove the coupler and put adapter and pipe together outside of car noting how it needs to be configured the worm ring I only tighten down by hand I noticed if I tightened to much it would back off of the adapter the pipe and coupler would be close but it would make it impossible for me to line up the intake to the box. Just take your time don’t over tighten anything
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroyue View Post
So your missing the coupler that goes on the throttle body before the afe pipe adapter. The adapter does not go on the throttle body.
I’m sorry I should re-phrase. I do in fact have the coupler that attaches to the throttle body that attaches to the urethane adapter that was included with the afe intake.

So I got all parts it is just hard to fit completly snug. Like I can get the top all way flush but can’t get thebottom.

And when I do get the bottom the top isn’t pushed in all the way and when tightened it pops out.

I have given this persistence and persistence a lot of my time fighting with this try different angles etc. people have mentioned in other forums that AFE has a old unit and a revised unit. This unit was purchased a week ago on EBAY my friend just advised me. Therefore could it be older stock? I told him to return it honestly and just get his money back and go with a cheaper one like an INJEN if he really wanted one. Heard good things about that one and that figment is awesome on it.

I also don’t think just clamping it in direct without the box that it’ll stay on. Looks like it will but who knows after a bump or a good high rpm pull that it’ll pop off. The box/housing holds it firmly in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #6
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nvm I see it now. So the way I did it was remove the coupler and put adapter and pipe together outside of car noting how it needs to be configured the worm ring I only tighten down by hand I noticed if I tightened to much it would back off of the adapter the pipe and coupler would be close but it would make it impossible for me to line up the intake to the box. Just take your time don’t over tighten anything
I’m not completly understanding. So you put the adapter on the intake afe pipe first. Than slid it thru the box and installed it on the throttle body/coupler?

I tried multiple ways the way you mentioned. Even putting the coupler and adapter on intake pipe before and squeezing they the box onto the throttle body. Was much better but couldn’t get it completly on. Darn it
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Dude take that shit off and put on a proper intake BOX; such as your stock OEM intake (just cut out that useless carbon filter) or a Euro intake box, which uses a covered cone intake. What you have here is a heat soaker, not a CAI. I had that on my 07 328 back in the day and the car felt sluggish when ever the engine got hot. What that thing is essentially doing is pulling in hot air from the engine bay.. Your stock intake box was pulling in COLD air from the outside. The only thing the AFE "CAI" is good for is noise.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      09-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Hiroyue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Yes Kenny I would take the elbow coupler the adapter and afe pipe with maf and assemble it outside of the car remove the two bolts for the power steering reservoir and move it out of the way so when you put the intake tubes in to get it in place you have some space above to work with. I’m unsure of a re-designed sealed box from afe so I cannot comment on the it being a older model. What I can comment on is that I live in Florida and there was a bit of a difference in the stock to afe sealed intake noticeable sound change the comment about a heat soaker I would say maybe if you bought the shitty one that don’t use the stock intake flow sure that’s why people realized short ram intakes weren’t always great but you do what you have to with the space we are given.
Are you tightening the band down with a screwdriver or a wrench? I would say it took me about a hour my first time putting it together to get it right the pipe did just what yours is doing as well I would get it on finally and tighten it with a wrench and walk away and it would be backed off the adapter from the coupler

Last edited by Hiroyue; 09-22-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes Kenny I would take the elbow coupler the adapter and afe pipe with maf and assemble it outside of the car remove the two bolts for the power steering reservoir and move it out of the way so when you put the intake tubes in to get it in place you have some space above to work with. I’m unsure of a re-designed sealed box from afe so I cannot comment on the it being a older model. What I can comment on is that I live in Florida and there was a bit of a difference in the stock to afe sealed intake noticeable sound change the comment about a heat soaker I would say maybe if you bought the shitty one that don’t use the stock intake flow sure that’s why people realized short ram intakes weren’t always great but you do what you have to with the space we are given.
Are you tightening the band down with a screwdriver or a wrench? I would say it took me about a hour my first time putting it together to get it right the pipe did just what yours is doing as well I would get it on finally and tighten it with a wrench and walk away and it would be backed off the adapter from the coupler
Thank you for you’re reply. He went ahead and returned it. Will just run stock box or gev a different unit.

He’s looking into maybe the Injen
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
Thank you for you’re reply. He went ahead and returned it. Will just run stock box or gev a different unit.

He’s looking into maybe the Injen
tell him to stop wasting his money. do a charcoal delete, throw in a k and n filter and maybe cut a small hole in the front of the air box intake so u can get some air from the front and call it a day

50 $
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
tell him to stop wasting his money. do a charcoal delete, throw in a k and n filter and maybe cut a small hole in the front of the air box intake so u can get some air from the front and call it a day

50 $
This plus also a silencer delete (DIY) or silicon intake tube (which replaces the tube with the silencer altogether).