E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New Rear Discs & Pads... Uneven Pad Bedding?

02-23-2023, 10:54 AM   #1
PriceyUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Luxury (2012)

New Rear Discs & Pads... Uneven Pad Bedding?

I've just last night put new discs & pads on the rears, and in the process I've done the following:

• Used a drilled wire brush on the back of the alloys
• Done the same on the wheel hub
• Done the same with any mounting points/sliding points on the caliper/bracket
• Then lubricated the pad rears, pad ears and where the pads slide in the bracket (ceramic grease instead of copper)
• Cleaned the sliders up and regreased them (silicone grease)
• Made sure the pad retaining clip is firmly back in place (only a few months old anyway)

I've then drove to work this morning which is exactly a 20 mile, mostly motorway. Making sure to be easy on the brakes as you should. However the initial wear is missing a chunk of disc on one side. Looking at the old discs, a little bit of the inner circle of the discs isn't touched by the pad so a bit seems "normal", but it's like double that.

Everything on the brakes was dry and dusty beforehand, and the sliding pins were seemingly ungreased too, however I've never had any issues with the functioning of them, or any noises. So if anything I thought I'd be improving them by giving them a bit of TLC!

Nearside @ 20 miles - which seems normal vs the old ones.

However...
Offside @ 20 miles
Offside @ 40 miles

I can't understand what I may have done wrong - could it just be due to the age/imperfections on the offside? Or is it just minor imperfections with the rotor/pad? I know I'm only 40 miles into them but the uneven wear between the sides got me concerned!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0