E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Creaking steering rack

03-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #23
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I've installed M3 control arms on 2 of my e90s and didn't get any creaking, sqeaking, popping, etc. on either one. Zero. I also have Dinan camber plates on this one so my strut angle is a good bit more than stock. Sounds silent when turning.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #24
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just finished up from under the car today with my mechanic friend and fixed up what my issue was. Turns out my creaking ended up being my brakes. As soon as I let for the brakes my creaking/rubbing went away when turning and we further confirmed it by laying hands on the brakes during the turn and feeling the creaking in the brakes.

Had the calipers off in 15 mins and lubed up the pads and everything is now right as rain. No creaking/popping/rubbing, anything. Glad it wasn't the arms or worse, the rack. That job is not one I want to be revisiting anytime soon
      03-30-2023, 11:09 PM   #25
daniel4653
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
I guess a video showing my issue exactly would probably be the best, right?

Curiously, in the video, the rack only did it near full lock going to the left, but did not make the noise to the right. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the left side of the car/suspension/strut area. No, I don't believe this is normal NVH increase from M3 arms; frankly I didn't notice any increase in NVH going M3 control arms

On a slightly related note, my car now officially has an email account

Ain't that some shit?

My car has been doing this exact same noise when turning the steering wheels hard like making a u turn. Doesn't matter if it's to the left or right. Only does do on cold mornings and goes away once the car has moved around. 2011 E90 335i on M3 control arms and stock rack. 158K miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 12:01 AM   #26
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My problem was creaky/unlubed brake pads. My issue is 100% resolved after we threw some brake grease on the back of my front brake pads. Happy to say and report I have not had any issues after "adjusting" my control arms and lubing my brakes. Check if the noise goes away with no pressure on your brakes and steering L2L in place

The fact that the noise goes away after the car is fully warm might not be as a good precursor as you might think. It could indicate a dying PS pump or Steering rack especially if the noise is more of mechanical whirring and not a "popping" or "creaking". I would check your PS reservoir to ensure it is topped up and maybe crack your tie-rod boots off and check for leaks. My old 335i rack gushed out nasty orange/red fluid from my boots when I removed them as I was removing it after the rack died. My PS reservoir was also completely empty and you could hear the PS whirring loudly during steering as there was no fluid in the system to provided the needed pressures for the pump to function correctly. The whirring sound it pretty unmistakeable

The tie-rod ear-clamps are one time use but if you are very careful with the "teeth" and remove the clamps by using a simple screwdriver to widen the "crimp" they can be reused. You will need a dedicated Ear-Clamp plier to "tighten" the crimp back tight enough to get a good seal however, and any water that gets into the boot will corrode your rack inside out and cause it to blow in as little as 3 months. It is extremely recommended to buy the dedicated tool to ensure you have a good-n-tight seal after diving in there for diagnostics. Alternatively, new clamps are very cheap, maybe $20 for both sides, but you would still need a dedicated tool to complete the "crimp" so I would just reuse your old ones; just be very careful during removal

Hope that helps
      04-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #27
daniel4653
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
My problem was creaky/unlubed brake pads. My issue is 100% resolved after we threw some brake grease on the back of my front brake pads. Happy to say and report I have not had any issues after "adjusting" my control arms and lubing my brakes. Check if the noise goes away with no pressure on your brakes and steering L2L in place

The fact that the noise goes away after the car is fully warm might not be as a good precursor as you might think. It could indicate a dying PS pump or Steering rack especially if the noise is more of mechanical whirring and not a "popping" or "creaking". I would check your PS reservoir to ensure it is topped up and maybe crack your tie-rod boots off and check for leaks. My old 335i rack gushed out nasty orange/red fluid from my boots when I removed them as I was removing it after the rack died. My PS reservoir was also completely empty and you could hear the PS whirring loudly during steering as there was no fluid in the system to provided the needed pressures for the pump to function correctly. The whirring sound it pretty unmistakeable

The tie-rod ear-clamps are one time use but if you are very careful with the "teeth" and remove the clamps by using a simple screwdriver to widen the "crimp" they can be reused. You will need a dedicated Ear-Clamp plier to "tighten" the crimp back tight enough to get a good seal however, and any water that gets into the boot will corrode your rack inside out and cause it to blow in as little as 3 months. It is extremely recommended to buy the dedicated tool to ensure you have a good-n-tight seal after diving in there for diagnostics. Alternatively, new clamps are very cheap, maybe $20 for both sides, but you would still need a dedicated tool to complete the "crimp" so I would just reuse your old ones; just be very careful during removal

Hope that helps

Morning, for my car it happens on cold start up and turning the steering wheel all the way to the left or right to sharply turn the car. It's definitely more a creaking that sounds like it's coming from the rubber gaskets. I tired yesterday evening doing my same movements with my foot not on the brakes, sound was still present. If it's like 55 degrees in the morning it does much less noise compared to 40 degree mornings. This is why I believe it's rubber brushings or something. Control arms were upgraded to M3 ones a year ago. There is no play on my wheels doin the standard 12 and 6 o clock shake or 3 & 9. Going to jack the car up this AM and check out the sway bar bushings. Bought some silicone based grease to lube them up.

Will attempt to record a video.
Appreciate 0