Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Intermittent TPMS Pressure Monitor Malfunction

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #1
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Intermittent TPMS Pressure Monitor Malfunction

Hello everyone,

Trying to diagnose my TPMS Inactive issue. It comes and goes, self-clears then reappears a few days/week later and I've had it. On most drives it would clear before getting home so I wouldn't even be able to get a scanner on to see what part of the system is failing so that I had a starting place to diagnose it.

However, today I managed to get home with the malfunction still going on and got a scanner on there. I didn't want to miss my chance so I just threw on my Carly (no bully) and this is what I got:

Running it through a code decoder, I got this:

I took it to my local tire shop and they scanned each TPMS and did confirm that all sensors were producing a signal except for the driver's front.

Now, interestingly enough, I HAVE had issues with my reverse gear sticking/activating while driving (causing my PDC and rear lights to activate) so it's funny that this code includes both those faults.

I have a new reverse switch on order (car is a manual) but have not yet ordered a new TPMS.

Could the faulty TPMS cause the whole system to malfunction? I thought if one TPMS goes bad it only displays a fault with that specific unit in the CIC?

Ergo, would it stand to reason that if I replace my presumed faulty TPMS, my inactive code should disappear? This is probably my next course of action but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and how they resolved it (WITHOUT coding out the TPMS function and switching to FTM). Car is 10/2009 build 2010 e90 335i
      03-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
For anyone who may stumble upon this thread years from now with the same issue and tries to search 005E2E or 5E2E I think my issue was a dead/dying/damaged TPMS sensor

I posted about my fix here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post

After I was finished up at the yard, took the car into my local Les Schwab because they always do good work for me. Needed one of my TPMS sensors replaced because I'm chasing down an intermittent TPMS Inactive Malfunction and I think a dying TPMS is causing it. Oddly enough when the guy scanned my sensors he said they all scanned fine which was weird because maybe 2-3 weeks prior when I went in and asked them to scan my sensors, they said my driver's front TPMS was toast. I opted to switch it with a used TPMS I bought off eBay anyway since the stem was pretty damaged (pictured above) so hopefully my TPMS malfunction doesn't come back. I would have gone new on the TPMS but I am planning on new wheels soon so this is just to hold me over until then. When one TPMS starts to go bad, the rest are soon to follow....

Curiously they didn't charge me for exchanging my TPMS (and they did so against policy: they don't install 3rd party hardware even if it's OEM. They just made an exception for me since I've been in there so often).

They did however charge me for "TPMS Relearn" but I thought BMWs were pretty good with automatically detecting and integrating new sensors without programming/flashing?
I can't imagine they did anything besides the TPMS reset through iDrive. Did they do anything with external programming tools or did I just get fleeced for $25? Lol
So far I have not received any new TPMS malfunctions following the exchange of my Driver's front TPMS. Knock on wood.
I have also only driven the 335i maybe not even 100 miles since swapping sensors however so it may be too early to tell. If I end up receiving a new error I will update the thread but If I don't, that should be all the information you need to conclude what has happened from here on out
      06-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #3
Jnorm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328 xi

Hi all. Having a similar problem, tho mine is TPMS Malfunction and is no longer intermittent. Had TPMS sensors scanned at a tire shop today and they all read good; surprising since they're original from 2011.
Planning on new tires soon, so should I just replace wheel sensors anyway due to their age?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I would replace both. Mine were giving me intermittent codes for a while. I chased a few rabbits, but eventually just bought new ones and had them installed when I got new tires. They did not charge for relearn. These sensors learn on their own.
      06-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

The other option I wish I had known about earlier is coding it out: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...highlight=tpms
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 08:49 PM   #6
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattanderson View Post
The other option I wish I had known about earlier is coding it out: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...highlight=tpms
Yeah, but it's nice to have. I live in an area with a lot of construction and get nails in my tires a lot. The sensor is always accurate.