E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > URGENT: Creaking / squeaking coming from rear of car

03-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
xozxro
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i Space Grey

Angry URGENT: Creaking / squeaking coming from rear of car

Hello,

So, $900 later, I'm still right where I started.

I've replaced my rear rotors, rear pads, and rear calipers, all for this sound to persist:
https://youtube.com/shorts/_ArxIG70W64?feature=share

I brought it into a shop after the rotors and pads were done by me, and they confirmed calipers were sticking... so they replaced them.

The shop gave it back saying there was no sound, but there is. I call them 20 seconds down the road, they aren't sure why it's still there, I drive on it for an hour, same sound, I call again and now their tech apparently heard something from the front, after replacing calipers.

WTF?

So I took this video. Clearly coming from the rear. All brake components are clearly fresh. Calipers, rotors, and pads. Any ideas as to this? I have to drive the car two hours away tomorrow.. so I'm putting it up now to see if there's anything I can look for based on ideas given to me here. My current points of inspection are now are axels, something with diff, anything with drivetrain etc...

Please let me know if anyone has even the slightest inclination. I just want the problem gone. That's why I paid them an arm and a leg to deal with it, instead of doing it myself... and yet, now here I am. This is why I never go to shops. Lol.

Thanks for ANY help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

dust shield rubbing around the ebrake shoes, theres a channel the rotor sit in iirc
Appreciate 1
steifan31.50
      03-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Agreed, that definitely sounds like a dust shield scraping and not a creak. Pull the wheels off and check. Could be loose ebrake hardware inside one of the drums too.
Appreciate 1
steifan31.50
      03-30-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

The sound is a bit "springy" as well (to my ears, well trained in E46 parking brake noise), might be parking brake shoes being too close to the inside of the brake disc (the drum part). Should sound much worse if any parking brakes components have come loose though.

325i '06, 323Ci '00, A3 2,0TDI Q '10, 740 GLT 16V '88
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 04:54 PM   #5
xozxro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steifan View Post
The sound is a bit "springy" as well (to my ears, well trained in E46 parking brake noise), might be parking brake shoes being too close to the inside of the brake disc (the drum part). Should sound much worse if any parking brakes components have come loose though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Agreed, that definitely sounds like a dust shield scraping and not a creak. Pull the wheels off and check. Could be loose ebrake hardware inside one of the drums too.
When I replaced my brakes - made sure E brake wasn’t the issue via adjusting. Checked dust shields when issue first began as well. Had the same thoughts… but it seems to be the U joint between the driveshaft and the diff actually.

It took me 10 minutes to figure it out when determined, and with my car on jacks. I mean seriously, the diagnostic ability of a $125 hour shop was next to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #6
540guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39 / E90

Sound like dust/stone shields to me as well.

I had this problem on my 540. The metal under the bolts that hold the shield to the assembly rots out. The bolt is still tight, but the shield is now free to move. This drove me absolutely insane listening to this on nice summer nights with the windows down .. ting, ting, ting - or when driving in an underground garage tinig, ting, ting.

Dealers and repair shops almost never hear the sound because their shops are open 7am-6pm, with lots of shop & street noise masking anything subtle.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:58 AM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Maybe it's squeaky bushings? I had a rubber boot tear and did this "fix" two years ago. No squeakyness or performance issues since, nothings loose or anything.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
xozxro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Maybe it's squeaky bushings? I had a rubber boot tear and did this "fix" two years ago. No squeakyness or performance issues since, nothings loose or anything.
https://youtu.be/xxyqamNmWH4
Yeah one would think it’s an option. But appears to be U joint between drive shaft and diff.

That being said, I would recommend silicone grease on bushings that squeak. Have had the same issue, went through same process in video, but silicone grease is safer for bushings haha.
Appreciate 0