E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > FCP Euro sent me the wrong parts?

03-21-2023, 11:30 PM   #1
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
FCP Euro sent me the wrong parts?

Received a set of B58 Spark plugs for my B58 coil conversion recently from FCP and unfortunately it seems as though they sent me the wrong parts? I splurged on the OEM Genuine BMW plugs ($25 a plug) and what I received were their Champion plugs ($16 a plug) in BMW boxes? Is that right?

As you can see in pictures, they are brand new "Champion" with brass washers and stamped "France". However, as you can see on FCP Euro's page for the Genuine BMW OEMs, they should be "BMW" with steel washers and stamped "Japan" for country of manufacturer. The ones I received match the Champion B58 Plugs exactly.

My question is: how will FCP Euro react in this situation? I have heard of members being denied returns/warranties lately with FCP's newest policy change and I am scared FCP will raise some eyebrows even though I am 100% not at fault.

I guess I will find out for sure tomorrow when I call, but was just wondering if anyone had a recent experiences like this going with FCP? I have almost always been an ECS exclusive customer but have recently started to branch out and am wondering if I made a mistake. ECS has even warrantied out parts that had no warranty on them months after delivery when items came damaged/mishipped no questions asked (I tend to buy a lot of parts and just sit on them for a while before opening up the boxes, it's a horrible habit I know, but I just buy so much...)

And no, this post is not sponsored by ECS and no, I did not just buy Champion plugs and swap the boxes, these are pictured exactly as received

Last edited by GnomeChild; 03-22-2023 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 12:49 AM   #2
Ur_mommas_n54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Received a set of B58 Spark plugs for my B58 coil conversion recently from FCP and unfortunately it seems as though they sent me the wrong parts? I splurged on the OEM Genuine BMW plugs ($25 a plug) and what I received were their Champion plugs ($16 a plug) in BMW boxes? Is that right?

As you can see in pictures, they are brand new "Champion" with brass washers and stamped "France". However, as you can see on FCP Euro's page for the Genuine BMW OEMs, they should be "BMW" with steel washers and stamped "Japan" for country of manufacturer. The ones I received match the Champion B58 Plugs exactly.

My question is: how will FCP Euro react in this situation? I have heard of members being denied returns/warranties lately with FCP's newest policy change and I am scared FCP will raise some eyebrows even though I am 100% not at fault.

I guess I will find out for sure tomorrow when I call, but was just wondering if anyone had a recent experiences like this going with FCP? I have almost [...]
I’ve had great luck with their customer service, I’d send them a email and or call them or file the replacement paperwork on their website.
Appreciate 1
jsunma652.00
      03-22-2023, 01:27 AM   #3
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur_mommas_n54 View Post
I’ve had great luck with their customer service, I’d send them a email and or call them or file the replacement paperwork on their website.
I have already filed the returns paperwork online and have begun the returns process. They even had an option for "Incorrect" or "Not as ordered" parts but I am just left wondering how the return shipping will be handled. They state that the customer is liable for returns shipping but I don't see it fair to be held liable considering this is absolutely 100% not my fault

I hope they can see things from my perspective and not risk losing out on a high-dollar client over $5. Obviously the system can be rigged against them with fraudulent returns/warranty claims but I can testify I am not a scammer! If I was, my main target probably would have been the B58 coils themselves considering they were $400+. Unless of course, that would have been too obvious and exactly what I wanted you to think; so I set my sights on the Plugs instead!

But that is not what happened in this situation because I am not a scammer
Lol
      03-22-2023, 02:21 AM   #4
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

There is a reason why I do not buy from FCP myself.

That being said, looking on RM Euro, I see that Champion is marked "OEM". Therefore those plugs are likely legit, but I would want to see "BMW" marked on there since those are in OE boxes. That is why I buy OEM and not OE/genuine. No sense paying $11 more for the same thing.

You can order Bosch ones for a little cheaper. The picture shows made in Germany?

Searched using part number 12120040551:

Also, a BMW dealer sells the plug looking exactly like yours, so I think you are good there. I would have just used aftermarket plugs, and NGK if you want Japan-made.
https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...ug-12120040551

Last edited by mainbearing; 03-22-2023 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:33 AM   #5
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I see Champion being marked as "OEM" on FCP's end as well but the Genuine BMW plugs are marked "Genuine"

Unless of course BMW no longer makes their own plugs and has outsourced to Champion. If that's the case then I would have just ordered the Champion plugs myself. What's the extra $10 upcharge for? To have them come in the OE box that will promptly get discarded once I'm done with installation? HEH!

I am going to call my local dealer tomorrow as well and see what the pricing will run me on a set of 6 of them and see what plugs they supply as "Genuine". Hopefully they are "BMW" plugs, if not I will have to make a choice between which OE manufacture to go with..

Shucks man. Plugs would have been a fantastic item to have lifetime warranty on too... especially for the expensive B58 plugs
      03-22-2023, 02:35 AM   #6
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
There is a reason why I do not buy from FCP myself.

That being said, looking on RM Euro, I see that Champion is marked "OEM". Therefore those plugs are likely legit, but I would want to see "BMW" marked on there since those are in OE boxes.

You can order Bosch ones for a little cheaper. The picture shows made in Germany?

Searched using part number 12120040551:

Also, a BMW dealer sells the plug looking exactly like yours:
Agreed, Champion is OEM for B58 coils.

Like many things buying BMW branded parts is often just paying extra for the box (or sometimes for a logo to not be ground off from the part). TRW M3 arms have the logos removed and I have had the same for thermostat housings on an e46, etc.

I think these are probably legit as BMW packages them. The champions would have been the same plugs in a champion box.

-Rich
      03-22-2023, 02:39 AM   #7
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I agree, BMW did a poor job not making sure those "genuine" plugs are marked "BMW". But they probably do not expect typical owners to even see the plugs.

All the reason not to pay $11/ea more for BMW to gouge you when OEM plugs (whether Champion, NGK, or Bosch in whatever case it may be) are readily available.

BTW, car manufacturers do not make their own spark plugs. NGK, Bosch and Champion do.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:46 AM   #8
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If that's the case, these will still be on their way back. There is no way I am paying a $10 markup per plug just for the OE Box. I'd rather just buy the Champion plugs in Champion boxes since they would effectively be the exact same thing.

And yes, before you ask, I did buy and pay the BMW markup for my "Genuine" M3 control arms just so my ///M logos would not be grounded off

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Also, a BMW dealer sells the plug looking exactly like yours, so I think you are good there. I would have just used aftermarket plugs, and NGK if you want Japan-made.
This made me chuckle a bit. The review for the plugs from BMWSA

Last edited by GnomeChild; 03-22-2023 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:00 AM   #9
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
If that's the case, these will still be on their way back. There is no way I am paying a $10 markup per plug just for the OE Box. I'd rather just buy the Champion plugs in Champion boxes since they would effectively be the exact same thing.

And yes, before you ask, I did buy and pay the BMW markup for my "Genuine" M3 control arms just so my ///M logos would not be grounded off

EDIT
This made me chuckle a bit. The review for the plugs from BMWSA
I have some dehydrated water to sell. If you want some let me know.

Shipping is free and it arrives in all of the empty glasses in your house instantly. It even has an invisible BMW logo.

Ok it is clearly late, I am going to sleep now.

-Rich
      03-22-2023, 03:28 AM   #10
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You jest but it still hurts
(Only a little though)

I have also modified the OP as it seems as though this was not probably not entirely FCP's oversight, if at all
      03-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #11
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So I just got off the phone with the FCP rep and we got things straightened out. Since I don't see this as entirely FCP's fault, I ultimately opted to cover the shipping cost for the return. I should have told them to adjust their photos/description to avoid this issue/discrepancy in the future but it slipped my mind. Everyone "involved" (me, FCP, BMW) had a little share of the blame so I guess this is probably the best conclusion

The CS rep was pleasant and attentive, it took about 10 minutes on hold to get through the system. Overall not the worst experience but not what I'm used either with near instant service from other providers. One thing I noticed was that the returns form did not include reimbursement for tax, it only listed a returns total for the base cost of the plugs; but, I was assured by the Rep that a refund for tax would also be included once the return gets processed

I decided not to "end" my business with FCP and I actually went ahead and placed an order with them for some new plugs. I went with NGK because they seemed the closest to the "Genuine OEM" plugs (mainly because of the steel washers. The brass washers are probably better but NGK has a decent reputation and the closest it "OE" design so I just defaulted with them.) I have heard they can be pretty hit/miss when it came to N54 plugs so hopefully I will have better luck with the B58 ones. Either way I still have lifetime warranty so I will be covered for replacements as long as FCP stays in business

Came out to about $95 with tax so with the return+tax on the "Genuine" plugs I'll be looking to come out with about $75 back in my pocket. Not bad for a minor inconvenience I suppose

Had I knows I would have just ordered Champion/NGK plugs from the getgo. You live and learn I guess. To anyone else reading this and haven't come to a conclusion yet, do yourself a favor and just avoid the "Genuine" plugs; you will only be getting OEM plugs in a BMW box (YIPEE!)
      03-22-2023, 01:46 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I see Champion being marked as "OEM" on FCP's end as well but the Genuine BMW plugs are marked "Genuine"

Unless of course BMW no longer makes their own plugs and has outsourced to Champion. If that's the case then I would have just ordered the Champion plugs myself. What's the extra $10 upcharge for? To have them come in the OE box that will promptly get discarded once I'm done with installation? HEH!
Hahaha, this is why you never buy Genuine parts for BMWs when you have the "OE" option on FCP. It's like that for all parts really. Like there's nothing odd about that that's just how it is.

FCP is one of the best stores to get your parts to, never had major issues and they always helped me out when they did something wrong or even I did.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251657.50
      03-22-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I can't help it! I am the sucker that's born every minute
My eyes lay sight of the blue and white emblem and my arms extend to fork over the cash

But in this case where there are no badges to behold, BMW can hold it. I'll gladly go with the OEM provider when they have a proven track record for a solid discount; especially since that's what I will be given regardless. Things like water pumps I did not want to take a chance on, I went with the OE Continental pump; unfortunately for that one I don't think I ordered from FCP Euro but I should have!
      03-22-2023, 05:41 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I can't help it! I am the sucker that's born every minute
My eyes lay sight of the blue and white emblem and my arms extend to fork over the cash

But in this case where there are no badges to behold, BMW can hold it. I'll gladly go with the OEM provider when they have a proven track record for a solid discount; especially since that's what I will be given regardless. Things like water pumps I did not want to take a chance on, I went with the OE Continental pump; unfortunately for that one I don't think I ordered from FCP Euro but I should have!
Yeah me to, when it comes to OEM vs Genuine with no OE option that's when I usually take my decision based on what the part is used for and might get Genuine.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2424.00
      03-23-2023, 12:16 AM   #15
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

^ This for me too.

And FCP has always been excellent to me. Maybe that will change in the future, but until then…
      03-23-2023, 02:20 AM   #16
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

BMW never made their own plugs. Even if they say bmw on them they’re made by someone else.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17146.50
      03-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #17
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yes, I misspoke

Meant to say something along the lines of BMW "branding" their own plugs, not necessarily producing them

BMW makes very few of their own "wear" items. A lot of the "small fry" stuff is outsourced, just produced to BMW quality but often with a BMW badge added after for "Genuine" BMW parts. Waterpump, Coil packs, Sparkplugs, Air Filters etc
I would assume the things BMW would actually make in house are major items that they would want to control "trade secrets" over like blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, heads, and specialty items like the interior panels, seats, trims, etc
      03-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
^ This for me too.

And FCP has always been excellent to me. Maybe that will change in the future, but until then…
They did scare me with their plans to change how the lifetime warranty worked, idk if you recall. They wanted to make it so that instead of getting a refund for your warranty order, you'd get credit towards a new order that is unrelated, which is really bad.

I actually don't know what happened with that. I guess they never went through it or else they would've made a bigger announcement.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #19
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
They did scare me with their plans to change how the lifetime warranty worked, idk if you recall. They wanted to make it so that instead of getting a refund for your warranty order, you'd get credit towards a new order that is unrelated, which is really bad.

I actually don't know what happened with that. I guess they never went through it or else they would've made a bigger announcement.
They went through with it. You get store credit instead of money refunded to your credit card. It's better than nothing but not as good as it used to be. And with these platforms aging and more stuff breaking I'm sure that credit could be utilized by most people.

FCP doesn't always have the best price and their shipping times can be problematic sometimes for the western US. Fortunately for me there's a large euro retailer with their HQ nearby that allows next day pickup and I've used them many times.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 06:16 PM   #20
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

As lowrydr310 mentioned, they did go through with it. I don’t think drawing attention to how it differs from before is good press for them, so they published a few blog posts and quietly changed the terms of the LRG (which you can access on their website).

After announcing the impending change, they backpedaled a bit by allowing orders placed before Nov 1, 2022 to be grandfathered into the old policy. While they explicitly state that for grandfathered orders you can convert your store credit refund to cash by contacting them, they don’t mention whether the refund amount is equal to replacement part cost (as was case with original LRG), or the original part’s cost (new policy).

Because they say that the original LRG policy is still in effect for those grandfathered orders, my assumption is that your refund would be for the replacement part, but I could be wrong.
      03-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #21
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
FCP doesn't always have the best price and their shipping times can be problematic sometimes for the western US. Fortunately for me there's a large euro retailer with their HQ nearby that allows next day pickup and I've used them many times.
Is it BMA Auto?
I used to use them all the time back in my e30 days. When I still lived in SoCal I would basically get things overnighted for free since their HQ is in Glendale. I would have stopped by to pick up same day will-call but even so they were still about an hour and a half's drive so I just waited the day. Used to push my orders through Patrick all the time, he probably got either tired of hearing me and attending to my orders every other day or he was ecstatic for the solid commission my orders probably brought in
It's been nearly a decade now since I've called, wonder if he would remember me? BMA and Pelican Parts (honorable mention to BluntTech) were basically my go-to for classic BMW services. Funnily enough I have used Pelican more recently for a few purchases on the e90. It all comes full circle

Fortunately I managed to find a little hole-in-the-wall Euro supplier locally after my move to NorCal called FPS Euro (not to be confused with FCP Euro lol). They are small and don't have a website but they always have Total 5w40 and genuine filters in stock so I always run over to them when it's oil change time. Usually buy a whole box for about $250 which sets me straight for, I think, almost 3 changes. Street price on Total 5w40 seems to have almost doubled lately so I wonder how much a box would run me these days

Back on topic, FCP I almost just view as another ECS/Turner but with a solid warranty. The prices between the two don't seem to differ all too much; maybe I'll find a few parts cheaper on one than the other or one will be able to source a very obscure/nearly NLA part that the other can't and vice versa but they are both located in the Eastern US so shipping times are effectively the same between the two for me. As long as FCP continues to do good and their warranty program stays relatively hassle free they will probably continue to cut more into my ECS share of business. Probably not what ECS wants to hear but maybe it might be incentive for them to consider offering a comparable warranty program in the future *nudge nudge wink wink*

Competition breeds innovation
Capitalism sure is fantastic
      03-23-2023, 08:22 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
They went through with it. You get store credit instead of money refunded to your credit card. It's better than nothing but not as good as it used to be. And with these platforms aging and more stuff breaking I'm sure that credit could be utilized by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
As lowrydr310 mentioned, they did go through with it. I don’t think drawing attention to how it differs from before is good press for them, so they published a few blog posts and quietly changed the terms of the LRG (which you can access on their website).

After announcing the impending change, they backpedaled a bit by allowing orders placed before Nov 1, 2022 to be grandfathered into the old policy. While they explicitly state that for grandfathered orders you can convert your store credit refund to cash by contacting them, they don’t mention whether the refund amount is equal to replacement part cost (as was case with original LRG), or the original part’s cost (new policy).

Because they say that the original LRG policy is still in effect for those grandfathered orders, my assumption is that your refund would be for the replacement part, but I could be wrong.
Well fml ha. I guess it's still kind of worth. The concept is just so dumb now, like if I have a 700$ FRM, I buy a new one, I'm still 700$ out you know. I need to then order some shit.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 03-23-2023 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0