E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Post M3 Control Arm Upgrade Alignment Specs

01-03-2023, 02:54 AM   #1
scbim
cap
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Post M3 Control Arm Upgrade Alignment Specs

Hey everyone, hoping to get some input on alignment specs after upgrading to M3 control arms (wishbone, thrust arm in the front, upper control arms in the back) + Bilstein struts. I know there are a gagillion threads out there on alignment/camber specs and I've perused many but my itch still isn't scratched...

For one thing, why do so many people rock more negative camber in the rear on these chassis? The more common and seemingly logical setup is to have more camber up front since the front takes more load during turns. I read on a Z forum it was because of the shorter chassis but that doesn't apply here.

I'm thinking about running the stock M3 specs (-1 front and rear) found here, but wondering if I should try something slightly more aggressive. Not shy about attacking the local twistys late night on the weekends, but this is my daily driver so I'm mainly aiming to cater the camber toward minimizing tire wear (accounting for the weekend warrior tendencies).

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by scbim; 01-03-2023 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
johnnyorange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 lci e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbim View Post
Hey everyone, hoping to get some input on alignment specs after upgrading to M3 control arms (wishbone, thrust arm in the front, upper control arms in the back) + Bilstein struts. I know there are a gagillion threads out there on alignment/camber specs and I've perused many but my itch still isn't quite scratched...

For one thing, why do so many people rock more negative camber in the rear on these chassis? The more common and seemingly logical setup is to have more camber up front since the front takes more load during turns. I read on a Z forum it was because of the shorter chassis but that doesn't apply here.

I'm thinking about running the stock M3 specs (-1 front and rear) found here, but wondering if I should try something slightly more aggressive. Not shy about attacking the local twistys late night on the weekends, but this is my daily driver so I'm mainly aiming to cater the camber toward minimizing tire wear (accounting for the weekend warrior tendencies).

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Following this thread intently, as on my lci e91 i upgraded the front wishbone and thrust arms to the m3 version before covid, but not yet the rear.

needless to say this setup is absolutely eating my tires on this my daily driver, as I realize the alignment that was done after the front m3 bits were installed was to a standard setup, and did not account for the new m3 bits - hence tires being killed.

prior to getting new tires this week/next week i need to put the m3 control arms in the rear and get it properly aligned for the setup.

what I am specifically curious about is what the proper camber setup should be for an wagon with m3 bits, which may be the standard -1 all around
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
scbim
cap
Rep

Thanks for weighing in, what part of which tires are being worn? I've read on some threads that toe is a bigger culprit in terms of tire wear, but toe spec should be set to 0 unless otherwise specified anyway

At the end of his DIY guide, Gareth from FCP Euro says the only thing you need to be concerned about is setting the toe to 0 and that the M3 arms will add negative camber to the front on their own.

Also read that front camber is not adjustable without removing the alignment pins and the M3 control arms should add about -0.75 degrees. At this point, unless somebody convinces me otherwise, I'm just going to ask the shop to match the rear camber to the front.

Planning to get the alignment done today so I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

oe specs are crap, most shop dont have the software to do it to bmw specs anyways. like tire pressure, imo should be individually adjusted to each driver, over time you will see your driving habits and how it affect tire wear and go off that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i54n View Post
oe specs are crap, most shop dont have the software to do it to bmw specs anyways. like tire pressure, imo should be individually adjusted to each driver, over time you will see your driving habits and how it affect tire wear and go off that.
Yeah I get that vibe. Hard for a newbie to know where to start though! And not everyone has the cash to shell out for goldilocks alignment tweaks.

I ended up telling the shop to adjust only the toe. Oddly enough they ended up adjusting the camber up front anyway from -1.3 to -0.9 which is odd because I didn't think it was adjustable (since I haven't removed the alignment pin).

They left the rear where it was at -1.7. Still have questions about why BMW comes stock with more camber in the back.

At any rate she corners like a beast with the suspension upgrade and I'm just happy to be back on the road. Only time will tell with the tire wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #6
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I ended up telling the shop to adjust only the toe. Oddly enough they ended up adjusting the camber up front anyway from -1.3 to -0.9 which is odd because I didn't think it was adjustable (since I haven't removed the alignment pin).
sounds like a good shop, you paid for a service. yeah i am all about even tire wear, I would take out as much camber in the rear as possible (even side to side) imo. you could go back and have them remeasure, ideally it be close but probably a little of both your car and alignment that it wont be. i do 10 min toe front and 15-20 total in rear and camber close to -1 for wear front and rear
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #7
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i54n View Post
sounds like a good shop, you paid for a service. yeah i am all about even tire wear, I would take out as much camber in the rear as possible (even side to side) imo. you could go back and have them remeasure, ideally it be close but probably a little of both your car and alignment that it wont be. i do 10 min toe front and 15-20 total in rear and camber close to -1 for wear front and rear
That tracks, closer to the -1, -1 from the M3 manual - I'll likely leave it the way it is and wait to see if I'm getting inner wear. Now more concerned with the fact that my car is drinking gasoline like it's cool-aid. Suspecting vanos solenoids since it's over 100k and they haven't been replaced yet. Things are pricey though!

What's the logic behind your toe setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep

personal preference/experience. i tried 0 toe in front and didnt like it for the highway so kept adding a little more to my liking. if you do any hard driving youre gonna get rear inner wear, with the soft rear under compression the very inner get chewed up and the front 225 is not wide enough and rolls over on the shoulders
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 06:45 PM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

BMW set the cars up that way to understeer from the factory. Cars that oversteer are more dangerous/a bigger liability if something goes wrong so it's more predictable with more rear camber and less in front.

I'd highly recommend increasing front camber to 2+ degrees. I've run up to 2.8 and got almost no inner wear on the street only. I'm going to back it down to about 2.5 which I think should get me close to dead even wear and still keep the sharpness and superb steering feel.

Also, only toe is adjustable in the front but by adjusting the toe, the camber also adjusts some. Basically the stock configuration only allows you to dial in the toe and you're then stuck with whatever the camber is. If nothing's bent, it will be roughly the same on each side so it works fine. You'd need camber plates to adjust camber and still keep toe in spec.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #10
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
BMW set the cars up that way to understeer from the factory. Cars that oversteer are more dangerous/a bigger liability if something goes wrong so it's more predictable with more rear camber and less in front.

I'd highly recommend increasing front camber to 2+ degrees. I've run up to 2.8 and got almost no inner wear on the street only. I'm going to back it down to about 2.5 which I think should get me close to dead even wear and still keep the sharpness and superb steering feel.

Also, only toe is adjustable in the front but by adjusting the toe, the camber also adjusts some. Basically the stock configuration only allows you to dial in the toe and you're then stuck with whatever the camber is. If nothing's bent, it will be roughly the same on each side so it works fine. You'd need camber plates to adjust camber and still keep toe in spec.
Thanks for the reply! Finally, a concrete answer that actually makes sense.

I'm not about to install camber plates anytime soon considering it's storming like hell out here and I barely got control arms and struts installed, but I'll keep it on the radar (especially if I start noticing some inner wear).

Cheers mate
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251675.50
      01-09-2023, 06:33 PM   #11
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I’m late to the party . I run minus 1.5deg camber both front and rear. A few things to consider for my individual setup.
1) I have Wavetrac rear diff
2) I have M3 E90/E92 F/R sway bars
3) ground control coil overs with 440 and 550 lb/in spring ratings per GC recommendations using. Koni single adjustable struts and shocks. Rear is true M3 type with proper true M3 lower camber arms
4) I run 33 psi on all 4 tires.
Result: I’m getting even tire wear on front/rear and I rotate them every 4000 miles (255/35/18 square on Apex 18x9, ET30, SM-10 wheels)

Last edited by BB_cuda; 02-08-2023 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #12
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I’m late to the party . I run minus 1.5deg camber both front and rear. A few things to consider for my individual setup.
2) I have E90/E92 F/R sway bars
3) ground control coil overs with 440 and 550 lb/in spring ratings per GC recommendations using. Koni single adjustable struts and shocks. Rear is true M3 type with proper true M3 lower camber arms
Result: I’m getting even tire wear on front/rear and I rotate them every 4000 miles (255/35/18 square on Apex 18x9, ET30, SM-10 wheels)
All good, thanks for weighing in! Thinking about replacing the rear springs myself since the car sits much lower in the back atm. Did you notice much difference with the lower control arm upgrade in the rear? Likely, you did everything at once so it would be difficult to single them out but I'm curious how much advantage they give considering all the kits are for the uppers only.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 12:07 PM   #13
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
2) I have E90/E92 F/R sway bars
Freaking MINT setup my guy Jealous of that Wavetrac diff and square wheel/tire fitment $$$
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #14
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
There's a smidge of camber adjustment, the strut towers are slotted. Probably a half a degree there, you just have to pull the alignment pins out of the strut mounts. Its surprising how much difference a half a degree makes if you're at zero to start with.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:19 PM   #15
iPee
Rep
Drives: e91

E91 LCI xDrive
BC BR Series coilovers lowered slightly.
245/35/18 no finger gap.
M3 arms in the rear
Syncro Design front control arms
All other front control arms/toe rods have been replaced.

Front
Camber: -2.8
Toe: 0.05*
PSI: 35

Rear
Camber: -2.1
Toe: 0.10*
PSI: 37

Tire wear has been fine.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251675.50
      02-08-2023, 07:15 PM   #16
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
All good, thanks for weighing in! Thinking about replacing the rear springs myself since the car sits much lower in the back atm. Did you notice much difference with the lower control arm upgrade in the rear? Likely, you did everything at once so it would be difficult to single them out but I'm curious how much advantage they give considering all the kits are for the uppers only.
Your assumption was correct. Only thing there before my big swap was the Wavetrac diff. No way I could tell you the lower camber arms solo effect in terms of driving feel.
Appreciate 0