E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Buying a car as a status symbol....

01-15-2023, 01:43 AM   #23
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Can you point out on the doll where the "status buyer" touched you?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 2
to_riffic3023.50
yousefnjr6157.50
      01-15-2023, 02:37 AM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Something definitely triggered OP but I agree with his premise. Status symbol customers are the reason why car brands, retailers, movie franchises, restaurants, etc. become diluted for the masses. Look at Mercedes now compared to the 1980s, or BMW compared to the late 90s and 00s.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is oftentimes a good business decision, but the core OG fans/customers get left behind in the process.
Appreciate 2
No one1040.00
MarcF10135.00
      01-15-2023, 03:45 AM   #25
Bmwlover x
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6

For status bmw? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 07:04 AM   #26
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Something definitely triggered OP but I agree with his premise. Status symbol customers are the reason why car brands, retailers, movie franchises, restaurants, etc. become diluted for the masses. Look at Mercedes now compared to the 1980s, or BMW compared to the late 90s and 00s.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is oftentimes a good business decision, but the core OG fans/customers get left behind in the process.
I don’t know what you mean. Both Mercedes and BMW make way better cars today than they did 20 or 25 years ago. It’s not even close. They look better, they are faster and have remarkably better technology in them. They are much safer also. This is an all about that grille is it?

Maybe the OP, or anyone else can explain to me what “status symbol” means. I mean I know what I think it means. I’d like to know what the OP or some of you guys think it means.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 09:55 AM   #27
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

It's also what keeps them in business, so were have to be thankful for the "common" buyer.
wtwo317971.00
      01-15-2023, 11:04 AM   #28
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Maybe the OP, or anyone else can explain to me what “status symbol” means. I mean I know what I think it means. I’d like to know what the OP or some of you guys think it means.
Someone who buys a Rolex because it’s a Rolex but can’t tell time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know what you mean. Both Mercedes and BMW make way better cars today than they did 20 or 25 years ago. It’s not even close. They look better, they are faster and have remarkably better technology in them. They are much safer also. This is an all about that grille is it?

They are objectively better cars now sure, but Mercedes quality and reputation was heralded back in the day. Everybody speaks of that era as the company's golden age for a reason. The product and quality control has been varying degrees of inconsistent ever since.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:46 AM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's also what keeps them in business, so were have to be thankful for the "common" buyer.
In the case of say Porsche I am thankful, because the company did not compromise its core values in the process. All their vehicles are drivers' cars and best in segment in that metric. BMW on the other hand...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 12:23 PM   #31
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:

You know what. I just had to rant because most people are terrible drivers that's all. Imagine a world where everyone could only get their license by mastering at least one track and racing others at top speed learning how to be right behind another car going 100+ etc, breaking with them, learning to overtake.. These skills would do away with traffic forever and stupid driving like 4 cars side by side on the highway blocking any passing, left lane hogging, braking too often due to being scared causing a chain of braking and traffic. My point is if people had 1/10th the skills of Schumacher or Hamilton we would never have traffic, accidents, road rage again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Correct. I mean that people buying Porsche, bmw, Ferrari (most Ferrari drivers actually drive so this applies to the next one most), Lamborghini, and so on, but are awful drivers and STILL cause traffic or accidents or drive side by side to other cars blocking passing, or are too slow in the passing lane and won't move over, or generallu just cause accidents+traffic and embarrass the company who makes their car
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #32
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In the case of say Porsche I am thankful, because the company did not compromise its core values in the process. All their vehicles are drivers' cars and best in segment in that metric. BMW on the other hand...
Porsche didn't have to develop their best sellers or common vehicles alone though. They had the platform given to them by VAG or the money to develop and implement what they wanted. BMW did it all on their own, and it's obviously paid off for them in global sales.
wtwo317971.00
      01-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #33
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
You know what. I just had to rant because most people are terrible drivers that's all. Imagine a world where everyone could only get their license by mastering at least one track and racing others at top speed learning how to be right behind another car going 100+ etc, breaking with them, learning to overtake.. These skills would do away with traffic forever and stupid driving like 4 cars side by side on the highway blocking any passing, left lane hogging, braking too often due to being scared causing a chain of braking and traffic. My point is if people had 1/10th the skills of Schumacher or Hamilton we would never have traffic, accidents, road rage again

Correct. I mean that people buying Porsche, bmw, Ferrari (most Ferrari drivers actually drive so this applies to the next one most), Lamborghini, and so on, but are awful drivers and STILL cause traffic or accidents or drive side by side to other cars blocking passing, or are too slow in the passing lane and won't move over, or generallu just cause accidents+traffic and embarrass the company who makes their car
Nobody would have a car or license. Everyone would be on welfare because they couldn’t get a job.

Gezzzz man.

Brother i drive 40,000+ miles a year so i see plenty but non of that has anything to do with a status car. I never do tracks because i get car sick but i manage to drive safely and only go in the passing lane when i pass.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #34
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Odd post - settle down speedracer
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #35
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
My point is if people had 1/10th the skills of Schumacher or Hamilton we would never have traffic, accidents, road rage again
You do realize that even race car drivers have accidents, and even road rage at their fellow competitors. It’s human nature. It’s a pipe dream to believe that all accidents can be avoided with proper driver training.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 02:27 PM   #36
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Nobody does that though
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 06:08 PM   #37
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Porsche didn't have to develop their best sellers or common vehicles alone though. They had the platform given to them by VAG or the money to develop and implement what they wanted. BMW did it all on their own, and it's obviously paid off for them in global sales.
I read an article stating it was Porsche going to buy the VAG, but the 2008 crisis allowed the latter to turn it around. FWIW. BMW charges over mass brands and yet tends to become one. It must be from pure greed rather than lack of money, I believe. But their point should actually be demand for driver's cars is shrinking and what modern drivers want is self-driving cars, multimedia and all the crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 06:15 PM   #38
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I read an article stating it was Porsche going to buy the VAG, but the 2008 crisis allowed the latter to turn it around. FWIW. BMW charges over mass brands and yet tends to become one. It must be from pure greed rather than lack of money, I believe. But their point should actually be demand for driver's cars is shrinking and what modern drivers want is self-driving cars, multimedia and all the crap.
They weren't going to, they tried to and it almost bankrupt them. So VAG ended up purchased half of Porsche and then the other half two years later.
      01-15-2023, 06:21 PM   #39
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Not to be stupid, but even if I agree that buying something for the status symbol is a bad idea….who cares?

It isn’t anyone’s business what people do with whatever money they have. They bear the consequences of that, not others.

Also who is to say that most people are buying something for simply the status symbol, you aren’t a mind reader, maybe they really like how it drives, or the features it has.

There will always be people that buy things for the status symbol only. That’s life. It occurs with many things, not just cars. But it doesn’t matter. Just worry about yourself. Worrying about what other people do is just a dead end.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 06:34 PM   #40
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Not to be stupid, but even if I agree that buying something for the status symbol is a bad idea….who cares?

It isn’t anyone’s business what people do with whatever money they have. They bear the consequences of that, not others.

Also who is to say that most people are buying something for simply the status symbol, you aren’t a mind reader, maybe they really like how it drives, or the features it has.

There will always be people that buy things for the status symbol only. That’s life. It occurs with many things, not just cars. But it doesn’t matter. Just worry about yourself. Worrying about what other people do is just a dead end.
The only thing that makes sense is the OP must think that owning a BMW means you have status.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #41
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

flex culture is everywhere and frankly it’s quite sad—-replacing substance in our lives with branding and objects is not a solution—-there is no escape from the depths of living.

it’s also funny that people believe a BMW would be a “status symbol”—any 2 bit jabroni can walk off the street and lease an X1 or an X3 or 3-series. Doesn’t take money or taste anymore.
      01-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #42
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
flex culture is everywhere and frankly it’s quite sad—-replacing substance in our lives with branding and objects is not a solution—-there is no escape from the depths of living.

it’s also funny that people believe a BMW would be a “status symbol”—any 2 bit jabroni can walk off the street and lease an X1 or an X3 or 3-series. Doesn’t take money or taste anymore.
Crazy. And here I always thought people bought these cars because they are luxurious and some of them are fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 10:53 AM   #43
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Crazy. And here I always thought people bought these cars because they are luxurious and some of them are fast.
An X1 or an X3 is still more expensive than a similarly priced Kia or Hyundai or Honda or whatever.

An X3M is $73K++++ - not exactly a cheap car. So why don't you tell me the argument?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 01:32 PM   #44
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
An X1 or an X3 is still more expensive than a similarly priced Kia or Hyundai or Honda or whatever.

An X3M is $73K++++ - not exactly a cheap car. So why don't you tell me the argument?
These days a Toyota RAV4 starts at around $30k and an X1 around $38k. Honda CRV around $32k

The difference in prices is long gone..