E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DEPO v2 vs v3 vs OEM

05-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

DEPO v2 vs v3 vs OEM

I have a cracked OEM Xenon and need replacing. I never really liked OEM halos. They were weak and yellowish anyway. Don't want to spent a small fortune on new OEM Xenon. Saw a DEPO in person and I liked their AEs. Very bright and white in daylight. Something that my OEM failed to deliver in daylight. How are DEPO v2 in comparison to a v3?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
AndrewA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
I have a cracked OEM Xenon and need replacing. I never really liked OEM halos. They were weak and yellowish anyway. Don't want to spent a small fortune on new OEM Xenon. Saw a DEPO in person and I liked their AEs. Very bright and white in daylight. Something that my OEM failed to deliver in daylight. How are DEPO v2 in comparison to a v3?
I have the DEPO P90 V2 on my 328i, I was originally going to swap them onto my Pre LCI 335i with adaptive headlight BiXenon. After using the BiXenons, it makes the headlight projection on the 328i with the Depos look like shit, Visibility is really bad with them.

They are very good looking headlights though. The angel eyes look amazing, If you're able to do a projector retrofit, that would be the best option.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
I have the DEPO P90 V2 on my 328i, I was originally going to swap them onto my Pre LCI 335i with adaptive headlight BiXenon. After using the BiXenons, it makes the headlight projection on the 328i with the Depos look like shit, Visibility is really bad with them.

They are very good looking headlights though. The angel eyes look amazing, If you're able to do a projector retrofit, that would be the best option.

Thank you for the input, it's good to know. I agree, all that DEPO v2 needs is a better projector, but other than that Angel Eyes are probably best looking ones as of today and more importantly they do get noticed in daylight - unlike OEM ones. What about just putting a good HID instead of H7 halogen bulb they come with? Will that improve situation?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
What about just putting a good HID instead of H7 halogen bulb they come with? Will that improve situation?
No, the poor optics of the projector is the problem, not the light source. Putting more light through poor optics will still have poor output, just brighter and probably more glaring towards oncoming drivers.

If you are removing OEM xenons you will need to code the car to remove the errors. These aftermarket lights are intended to replace OEM halogens, not xenons.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #5
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

I have the depo p90 v2 and hate them, by far one of the most troublesome mods i've done to my car
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maxican View Post
I have the depo p90 v2 and hate them, by far one of the most troublesome mods i've done to my car
Can you tell why please? I've searched forum and from all aftermarket brands DEPO is considered second to OEM in quality and it's Halos are visible in daylight. No errors in 07+ cars and no condensation unless users messed up housing by drilling and/or poorly sealing headlights after retrofitting projectors. With corner delete IMHO they should look really good in daylight, but I agree about poor projector quality. On the other hand - how poor it really is? It may not be as good as OEM Xenon ones, but if it's comparable to halogen OEM - then it's not bad at all, as there are tons of halogens still out there. Probably majority of e90s on the road are with halogens still. Just my 2c
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Another question guys: if I go with DEPO, what H7 bulb I can buy in order to get white light at around 4300K-5000K?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
AndrewA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You can go with gpthunder 6000k bulbs
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

Quote:
Can you tell why please? I've searched forum and from all aftermarket brands DEPO is considered second to OEM in quality and it's Halos are visible in daylight. No errors in 07+ cars and no condensation unless users messed up housing by drilling and/or poorly sealing headlights after retrofitting projectors. With corner delete IMHO they should look really good in daylight, but I agree about poor projector quality. On the other hand - how poor it really is? It may not be as good as OEM Xenon ones, but if it's comparable to halogen OEM - then it's not bad at all, as there are tons of halogens still out there. Probably majority of e90s on the road are with halogens still. Just my 2c
The no condensation thing is not true, i've had condensation problems since day 1, it happens every time i wash the car and every time it rains, and i know people who have had the same condensation problem I had. When I asked depo why this was happening, the answer i got was "it just happens". The condensation problem is so bad that it has began to make the lenses cloudy and is not fixable and I've had less condensation issues after having them opened up, painted, and resealed. The error cancellers dont work so i have a constant headlight error on my trip computer. The plastics on the inside of the housing are very brittle and have broken, causing the projector to face downward. the plastic lenses are also very weak and have had spider cracking. The projector quality is absolute shit, with a horrible beam cutoff. The brakets that hold the projector bulbs in place suck and cause the bulb to fall out of place all the time. And its not like I've just gotten a faulty pair that fell through the cracks, I've been sent 3 different sets and have had these problems every time. I've finally given up on them and am saving up the money to have custom headlights made for me using my factory halogens
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maxican View Post
The no condensation thing is not true, i've had condensation problems since day 1, it happens every time i wash the car and every time it rains, and i know people who have had the same condensation problem I had. When I asked depo why this was happening, the answer i got was "it just happens". The condensation problem is so bad that it has began to make the lenses cloudy and is not fixable and I've had less condensation issues after having them opened up, painted, and resealed. The error cancellers dont work so i have a constant headlight error on my trip computer. The plastics on the inside of the housing are very brittle and have broken, causing the projector to face downward. the plastic lenses are also very weak and have had spider cracking. The projector quality is absolute shit, with a horrible beam cutoff. The brakets that hold the projector bulbs in place suck and cause the bulb to fall out of place all the time. And its not like I've just gotten a faulty pair that fell through the cracks, I've been sent 3 different sets and have had these problems every time. I've finally given up on them and am saving up the money to have custom headlights made for me using my factory halogens
Thanks, it's good to know. Now I'm thinking to avoid DEPO. Has anyone else had same bad experience with DEPO? It's just DEPO is sometimes OEM for some manufacturers same as Valeo for example. Many official collision repair centers even offer them as replacement for some brands. I had DEPO long time ago like 10 years ago on my Toyota SUV and it was all good. Maybe they downgraded their quality and went bad since then, I don't know.
Appreciate 0