E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Header Review. AFE high flow Cat Headers

04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #45
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

well what headers did a pre-facelift EU N52 use then? because either way, both of them look like 215hp for the 325 and 255 for the 330i. If the part numbers are different and they supposedly flow better why is there no real difference in output?

I tried cross referencing all of the face lift N52 manifolds for the European market and none of them show up as ever being used here, so the assertion that the EU market switched to US headers and lost power appears to be false.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:56 AM   #46
Benan
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
yes, US has different and more restricted header design, AFE uses euro design but with 300 cell cat.
Aha... I guess the OEM is aprox. 600cell / cat?

Here i Sweden we have the 330i as 258hp up to 2008. Then its the 272hp with direct injection.
But the 325 is listed as 218hp all the way up to 2012. But if you what to uppgrade your 2008 and onwards to the 330i spec, u can buy the 3 stage intake and CPU of the 330i and get 272hp. But not on the pre 2008 moddels.
So I assume that direct injected on bouth moddels use the semi-heders

E90 M-Sport 330i N53 272hp w Dynomax VT Muffler & Mod. OEM airbox w Ramair filter

Last edited by Benan; 04-28-2015 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:19 AM   #47
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Anyone from researching on past cars, will 300 cell cats prevent CEL? Metallic cats over ceramic is what I've been reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:15 AM   #48
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
If you are "welling" me, I gave it the old college try; in that I had everything disconnected and removed as per a header install write up TheSt|G had provided and I had three of the easier exhaust manifold nuts removed when I decided installing the headers really wasn't much fun, so I reassembled everything. However, I did manage to complete the secondary cat delete in the process. Part of my lack of enthusiasm is that I am only two days removed from having the flu for three days and I am still not feeling percent.

I will have the headers installed this week, I promise, as I know a good shop by my office with a few highly recommended BMW techs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #49
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
well what headers did a pre-facelift EU N52 use then? because either way, both of them look like 215hp for the 325 and 255 for the 330i. If the part numbers are different and they supposedly flow better why is there no real difference in output?

I tried cross referencing all of the face lift N52 manifolds for the European market and none of them show up as ever being used here, so the assertion that the EU market switched to US headers and lost power appears to be false.
No one is saying the cat cell count and such is the same, simply that it went from being a more equal length design to the worse US spec collector into cat design.
      04-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #50
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Anyone from researching on past cars, will 300 cell cats prevent CEL? Metallic cats over ceramic is what I've been reading.
yea metallic last more longer under extreme use, but usually 300 cell is not pure metallic though. AFE didnt say what kinda material they used.

AFE site already says 300cpi is to prevent CEL
      04-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #51
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benan View Post
Aha... I guess the OEM is aprox. 600cell / cat?

Here i Sweden we have the 330i as 258hp up to 2008. Then its the 272hp with direct injection.
But the 325 is listed as 218hp all the way up to 2012. But if you what to uppgrade your 2008 and onwards to the 330i spec, u can buy the 3 stage intake and CPU of the 330i and get 272hp. But not on the pre 2008 moddels.
So I assume that direct injected on bouth moddels use the semi-heders
well my had 3 stage already for N51 version, but too bad N51 will have 800 cell or more main cat. dont come live in california.
      04-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #52
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
well my had 3 stage already for N51 version, but too bad N51 will have 800 cell or more main cat. dont come live in california.
I have to ask a smog shop about this but let's say the car has 200k miles and naturally it needs to change primary catalytic converters. Wouldn't it make sense to cut and weld the new cats to the OEM pipes, when it still prevents CEL and passes emissions? The shop wouldn't care about the brand/make/cell count as long as it passes emissions in CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #53
Benan
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-sport 6MT

I guess they mixed it up damn good between the U.S and Euro market..I searched around on a scrapyard homepage and found 325i E90 with the same typ of headers you are refering to.
But if you have issues with passing smog inspection with removing the cats in the headers, just keep the secodary cats and mount a 300 cell cat where the stock resonator sits on the OEM exhaust! It will still "clean" the exhausts but give alot less resctricion back there where the exhaust gas has lost alot of its heat and volym. Only diff is that due to the colder inviroment it will be placed in it will take more time to get it heated up to opptimum working temp. But just do acouple of hard pulls before inspection adn it will be find... That how we do over here and we run singel 100cell cats

EDIT: found out now that we have totaly diffrent airbox aswell....

I picked up a used "euro box" for $70 to day for modding to a DIY CAI..

E90 M-Sport 330i N53 272hp w Dynomax VT Muffler & Mod. OEM airbox w Ramair filter

Last edited by Benan; 04-28-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #54
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I have to ask a smog shop about this but let's say the car has 200k miles and naturally it needs to change primary catalytic converters. Wouldn't it make sense to cut and weld the new cats to the OEM pipes, when it still prevents CEL and passes emissions? The shop wouldn't care about the brand/make/cell count as long as it passes emissions in CA.
thats only if you have pre obdII car, those you can still use 49 state legal cat, on our car u need get CARB certified cat only. which mean u need have a CARB number stamp on the cat.

if you have N52, most likely aftermarket CARB cat will be denser then your stock one.
      04-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #55
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

I called AFE performance 6 months ago and asked about a group buy on this header paired with their AFE mid pipe. I wish I remember the guy's name they never contacted me back and the request was for 10+ ppl... Anyone else down for a group buy??? pm me please and I can start a new thread again for the group buy...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #56
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90 View Post
I called AFE performance 6 months ago and asked about a group buy on this header paired with their AFE mid pipe. I wish I remember the guy's name they never contacted me back and the request was for 10+ ppl... Anyone else down for a group buy??? pm me please and I can start a new thread again for the group buy...
How much did they say for the group buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #57
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot
OKAY. So, I have had these headers for a few months now and I keep hear/seeing posts asking about N52 headers other than AA or headers with cats. So, as suggested, rather than keep posting in different threads, I'm going to put everything up here.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with AFE, I am NOT a mechanic. I am a computer science major so any claims or theories put out here should be taken with a grain of salt. Furthermore, if this violates any forum rules, please edit and do no delete or let me know my errors and I will rectify ASAP.

Engine/Car:

2009, AT 328i N52.

Modifications PRIOR to Headers (engine/performance):

Dinan catback exhaust
Dinan ram intake
Secondary cat delete
RPI intake scoops
BMS powerbox (which was replaced, more below).

Storyline:

So, much like many of you, I grew bored with the N52 powerband. Upon many months of research (and as AA was releasing their catless header) I decided that emissions issues and CEL would just drive me nuts. For a DD, I do not need to jump through hoops to pass emissions. I research AFE as a company as a hole and then specifically their headers with high flow cats.

Based on the research and their power claims - not to mention I would pass emissions, I hit the buy now button. I would never look back from time period again.

Here is the details on their website: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=48-36307

The thing that sold me was not only emissions being a cake walk, but their dyno graph:

The above image is provided by AFE and NOT my own dyno*

So, about ten days later, these beauties come in the mail:

First off, let me stop by address the build quality. Top. Notch. The welds were almost a work of art, the bends made engineering and logical airflow sense and they weighed 12lbs lighter than OEM headers/manifold even considering they had high flow cats installed.

Note the flanges, the thickness was something that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside because to me, that indicates a proper build process and they did not get lazy on items. It spoke very highly to me, yes, these small things really matter and you should really pay attention to some products you buy, won't mention names here, but you get the point. (No, no - not AA, a more 'generic' reseller).

I looked up DIY, I forget his username, but he has the 130i had an awesome (I believe it was you) thread. Being mechanically disabled, I opted to have a shop install them. It was about 5 hours shop time, so that would mean 5 weeks my time. No regrets there, ego hurt but I'll recover.

Back on track, I literally just kept my phone at my desk and kept looking at it praying the shop would call and say, all good - come pick up. Finally, they did. I left work early and bailed out to see my sleeping beauty.

Results:

The results were very impression. From the initial start, the car sounded WAY more aggressive, slight rasp, yes - I will not lie, but I think that's due to any header system in an inline 6 engine. The cold start idle literally sounded like a V8 'camming'.

I put about 100 miles on the headers and watched as they went from a silver metallic stainless to a nice golden color from the heat, which I find beautiful:

It's just so, so pretty to me

So, a few more miles later, I had the dyno itch craving. Well, maybe buyers remorse in a way. "What the hell did you do, Josh? This is a few mortgage payments, this is an LSD, this is ___________" I needed a dyno to be assured I had made the right choice. So, called up the shop and did my first dyno in my BMW. The results, I would say, are very impressive. I instanatly stopped crying over lost money and started to plot new upgrades, a 330 manifold and tune.

Here is the dyno with ONLY afe headers, intake scoop dinan intake, 2nd cat delete and dinan catback (all of which, minus headers offer substantial gains IMHO)

I was very, very, very impressive with the gains over stock. I was so excited.

Now, I knew I had to do more. So, from there, I took off the BMS power box tune and installed a 330 intake manifold then purchased a proper tune from AA. Both of those items are NOT in the dyno and I am currently pending a NEW dyno next week.

Sound clips or GTFO you say? As you wish. Below is a video of my car with ALL mentioned mods, you can get an idea of the rasp, which I mostly contribute to the 2nd cat delete, but I enjoy it and it is very loud (SIC).

This was a warm start and I wish I had audio from a non stationary situation, but at this time it is all I have. I am hoping to be around the 250whp mark with the current final mods.

So, all in all - if you're worried about AA's catless headers like I was, this is a very viable option that offers some amazing improvements as well as audible enhancements.

There you guys go.

Any questions/comments/concerns - please post. I'll be glad to help answer any questions.
How's the headers??? Any updates, sound changes etc??
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #58
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot
OKAY. So, I have had these headers for a few months now and I keep hear/seeing posts asking about N52 headers other than AA or headers with cats. So, as suggested, rather than keep posting in different threads, I'm going to put everything up here.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with AFE, I am NOT a mechanic. I am a computer science major so any claims or theories put out here should be taken with a grain of salt. Furthermore, if this violates any forum rules, please edit and do no delete or let me know my errors and I will rectify ASAP.

Engine/Car:

2009, AT 328i N52.

Modifications PRIOR to Headers (engine/performance):

Dinan catback exhaust
Dinan ram intake
Secondary cat delete
RPI intake scoops
BMS powerbox (which was replaced, more below).

Storyline:

So, much like many of you, I grew bored with the N52 powerband. Upon many months of research (and as AA was releasing their catless header) I decided that emissions issues and CEL would just drive me nuts. For a DD, I do not need to jump through hoops to pass emissions. I research AFE as a company as a hole and then specifically their headers with high flow cats.

Based on the research and their power claims - not to mention I would pass emissions, I hit the buy now button. I would never look back from time period again.

Here is the details on their website: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=48-36307

The thing that sold me was not only emissions being a cake walk, but their dyno graph:

The above image is provided by AFE and NOT my own dyno*

So, about ten days later, these beauties come in the mail:

First off, let me stop by address the build quality. Top. Notch. The welds were almost a work of art, the bends made engineering and logical airflow sense and they weighed 12lbs lighter than OEM headers/manifold even considering they had high flow cats installed.

Note the flanges, the thickness was something that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside because to me, that indicates a proper build process and they did not get lazy on items. It spoke very highly to me, yes, these small things really matter and you should really pay attention to some products you buy, won't mention names here, but you get the point. (No, no - not AA, a more 'generic' reseller).

I looked up DIY, I forget his username, but he has the 130i had an awesome (I believe it was you) thread. Being mechanically disabled, I opted to have a shop install them. It was about 5 hours shop time, so that would mean 5 weeks my time. No regrets there, ego hurt but I'll recover.

Back on track, I literally just kept my phone at my desk and kept looking at it praying the shop would call and say, all good - come pick up. Finally, they did. I left work early and bailed out to see my sleeping beauty.

Results:

The results were very impression. From the initial start, the car sounded WAY more aggressive, slight rasp, yes - I will not lie, but I think that's due to any header system in an inline 6 engine. The cold start idle literally sounded like a V8 'camming'.

I put about 100 miles on the headers and watched as they went from a silver metallic stainless to a nice golden color from the heat, which I find beautiful:

It's just so, so pretty to me

So, a few more miles later, I had the dyno itch craving. Well, maybe buyers remorse in a way. "What the hell did you do, Josh? This is a few mortgage payments, this is an LSD, this is ___________" I needed a dyno to be assured I had made the right choice. So, called up the shop and did my first dyno in my BMW. The results, I would say, are very impressive. I instanatly stopped crying over lost money and started to plot new upgrades, a 330 manifold and tune.

Here is the dyno with ONLY afe headers, intake scoop dinan intake, 2nd cat delete and dinan catback (all of which, minus headers offer substantial gains IMHO)

I was very, very, very impressive with the gains over stock. I was so excited.

Now, I knew I had to do more. So, from there, I took off the BMS power box tune and installed a 330 intake manifold then purchased a proper tune from AA. Both of those items are NOT in the dyno and I am currently pending a NEW dyno next week.

Sound clips or GTFO you say? As you wish. Below is a video of my car with ALL mentioned mods, you can get an idea of the rasp, which I mostly contribute to the 2nd cat delete, but I enjoy it and it is very loud (SIC).

This was a warm start and I wish I had audio from a non stationary situation, but at this time it is all I have. I am hoping to be around the 250whp mark with the current final mods.

So, all in all - if you're worried about AA's catless headers like I was, this is a very viable option that offers some amazing improvements as well as audible enhancements.

There you guys go.

Any questions/comments/concerns - please post. I'll be glad to help answer any questions.
How's the headers??? Any updates, sound changes etc??
Only changes came when I killed the secondary cats. Thus far, very happy.
      06-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #59
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Dyno?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #60
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Dyno?
Been too lazy. Trying to sort this emissions issue first.
      06-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #61
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
Ahhh...dyno. Dyno dyno?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #62
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:
Ahhh...dyno. Dyno dyno?
Yes, dear. I promise. This month.
      06-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #63
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yes, dear. I promise. This month.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #64
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Axiom is gone I read somewhere on here... My wife is buying me these headers for Father's Day!!! How does it sound with your secondaries off hack?
Whats the power curve 3K, 4K up to what?? Hook it up with more recent updates
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #65
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Axiom is gone I read somewhere on here... My wife is buying me these headers for Father's Day!!! How does it sound with your secondaries off hack?
I've had the AFE catted headers installed about two months ago. When I first had them installed I had the secondary cat delete with the BMW performance exhaust and it was friggin loud. My first course of action was to have 9-inch resonators installed on the mid pipes, which didn't help much, I then reinstalled the secondary cats, which toned it down to an acceptable level, until about 4,000 RPM. I then purchased the Dinan exhaust system, which helped but I ended up installing a baffle insert in the Y pipe. The increase in low and mid-range power was quite noticeable. Obviously, everyone has a different level of tolerance for noise, but the one thing I can assure you, if you are running with the secondary cat delete and the PE, it will be substantially louder. Have fun!
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #66
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Dyno coming this week. Please stay tuned.