E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

10-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #1981
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Yeah I know but would you want your car updated to v31.0 when you knew that it messed with the N52K and N51 engine. Let's be honest here, BMW does not have a good track record with this shit as far as I am concerned. I am holding off and I just wanted to make some of you aware in case you were pressing your dealership to be upgraded. I would hate to see some of you get upgraded and when a fix is released they tell you no since they already updated you.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #1982
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

My car is living proof that V31 DME update is not the answer in the long run..... ONLY FOR TWO WEEK!

But what a couple of weeks...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #1983
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
My car is living proof that V31 DME update is not the answer in the long run..... ONLY FOR TWO WEEK!

But what a couple of weeks...
I think I would have your car checked... it is hard to believe they installed pixie dust that ran out in 2 weeks time. Maybe your wastegate/s are having issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #1984
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
O.K., I've read it. But the problem does refer to N52K and N51 engines only, not N54.

I have some new astounding info. You know I have complained to BMW and told them that there can be no doubt about "if" there will be a fix, only "when".

Well. My foreman called me this morning, telling me he made a big fuss at BMW about the issue. Now BMW development department wants to take my car in for a week or two to investigate the problem. They still have no clue what the problem is and want to take measurements with several DME software versions on the same affected car - that is, mine.

Seems like they want to figure out what the triggering condition is, wastegates, turbos or whatever.

Car will be in the shop from tuesday on. I'll report.
Crazy! So, the bittersweet news is: This basically confirms V31 = FAIL. BMW still has apparently been inserting their thumb in dark places despite all the rumored "v31 fixes this...no wait...V32 is confirmed to fix this in December" chatter. On the other side, it's nice they are taking your car and looking into things. I see several possible outcomes..

- They find the universal problem and attempt to address it, sometime in the future a while out with a progman update

- They find the universal problem but tell us it's normal and go to sit on a sharp stick

Sigh...I need an oil change in 500 miles and was really hoping to have something shaken out with this mess by then, and be able to get a working update during the service.

Maybe between this and Pavel's oddity, we can figure something out.

Thanks for helping by giving them your car!

This is so frustrating that they are seemingly so stumped as to the problem... HEY GENIUS ENGINEERS...IF YOU OPEN THE DAMN WASTEGATES A TON MORE THAN THEY USED TO BE, THE CAR GETS LOUD AND TAKES LONGER TO BUILD BOOST AND MAKE POWER. Wow, and I didn't even get my degree in engineering!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #1985
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pavel, did you hear anything back from your techs yet, from the letter you wrote? Did you call em since they might just be using your letter as a dart board or toilet paper?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #1986
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I think I would have your car checked... it is hard to believe they installed pixie dust that ran out in 2 weeks time. Maybe your wastegate/s are having issues?
My technician called me today to discuss the issues I've been having. He wants me to turn in the car tomorrow morning.

He also told me that he opened up the case with BMW AG Technical support to help him. He suspects it could be the wastegate actuator, and in worst case scenario they need to replace the stock turbos for new ones.

Anyway, I'm leaving it in his hands tomorrow so we will see what comes out of it.

I can't really say that I care anymore. I am going to my local Audi dealer on Saturday to run some figures and see where I'll end up. Just cant take this anymore as it consumes so much of my energy.. plus my girlfriend is soooo sick of my bitchin and whining
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #1987
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Well , today BMW did not call me at all concerning the car. Yesterday they said they will continue investigating so seems strange they did not tell me the car was ready since i also have their service car.
IF they update DME that would not have taken a whole day so:
1. They want to make a day pass to make me believe they worked a lot on it.
2. They could have run boost tests and maybe decided to replace wastegates and turbos (yes i am dreamer ....)
3 they just forgot to call me.
Will see tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #1988
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I've been suffering with daily limp modes due to my reluctance in bringing in the car to be checked out. I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump..you guys think there's any chance they would replace the fuel pump w/o updating the progman? Last time I got an update was Nov. of '07 (pre-lag).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #1989
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If you are getting limps take it in. Try requesting that they not update PROGMAN.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #1990
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Well , today BMW did not call me at all concerning the car. Yesterday they said they will continue investigating so seems strange they did not tell me the car was ready since i also have their service car.
IF they update DME that would not have taken a whole day so:
1. They want to make a day pass to make me believe they worked a lot on it.
2. They could have run boost tests and maybe decided to replace wastegates and turbos (yes i am dreamer ....)
3 they just forgot to call me.
Will see tomorrow.
aaaand the wheel o' prediction lands on...... NUMBER THREE!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #1991
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
O.K., I've read it. But the problem does refer to N52K and N51 engines only, not N54.

I have some new astounding info. You know I have complained to BMW and told them that there can be no doubt about "if" there will be a fix, only "when".

Well. My foreman called me this morning, telling me he made a big fuss at BMW about the issue. Now BMW development department wants to take my car in for a week or two to investigate the problem. They still have no clue what the problem is and want to take measurements with several DME software versions on the same affected car - that is, mine.

Seems like they want to figure out what the triggering condition is, wastegates, turbos or whatever.

Car will be in the shop from tuesday on. I'll report.
@meyergru

well my dealers called me today, cos i send CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com complain "Send e-mail to:" drop-down box, select "BMW AG worldwide" and they said that they will contact BMW in Germany and will investigate, wonder if they are going to ask that i will bring them my car, hope that they are not going to make it worse

"Dear Mr *******,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have forwarded your request to the relevant department for assessment.

Kind Regards,
BMW Customer Service Team

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Board of Management: Norbert Reithofer, Chairman,
Frank-Peter Arndt, Ernst Baumann, Herbert Diess,
Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner, Michael Ganal,
Ian Robertson
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joachim Milberg
Registered in: Munich HRB 42243
-------------------------------------------------------------------

post your information afterall
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #1992
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Dude,

Everybody that have sent a email to CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com gets that exact same answer.

I have sent them several reminders but still get the same lame shit!
yesterday I sent them a mail containing random greek letters. Guess what reply I got?

Same as you just did! That means there's not eaven a real person on the receiving end, only an autoreply!

Customer care My ass!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #1993
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
well i will see what my dealer in Lithuania is going to answer to me soon...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #1994
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

dude ... r u for real
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #1995
newbieone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335ic Space Gray

Well, it's been a lil over 1k miles since the dealer updated my software. (i intially brought the car in for HPFP but the SB said to check and update software first.) the result was lag, louder exhaust note, exhaust gurgling, and no more turbo spooling sound.

anyways...yesterday i noticed the lag improved. it is almost completely gone and back to it's initial responsive state.

it is still louder, still gurgling, still can't hear the spooling but now with only a very very slight lag.

maybe it takes a while for the car/DME/ECU to adjust after the new software? anyone experience the same thing after putting some miles on it?

I have Sept07 build. as a side note, feels like my refurbished fuel pump is about to go again. still have not taken the car in for wastegates.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #1996
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieone View Post
Well, it's been a lil over 1k miles since the dealer updated my software. (i intially brought the car in for HPFP but the SB said to check and update software first.) the result was lag, louder exhaust note, exhaust gurgling, and no more turbo spooling sound.

anyways...yesterday i noticed the lag improved. it is almost completely gone and back to it's initial responsive state.

it is still louder, still gurgling, still can't hear the spooling but now with only a very very slight lag.

maybe it takes a while for the DME/ECU to adjust have the new software? anyone experience the same thing after putting some miles on it?

I have Sept07 build. as a side note, feels like my refurbished fuel pump is about to go again. still have not taken the car in for wastegates.
i recall reading something similar.

also, some people have more lag when the car is warm. could that be the real difference for you?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #1997
newbieone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335ic Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i recall reading something similar.

also, some people have more lag when the car is warm. could that be the real difference for you?
the car was definitely warmed up. gauge slightly below 250.

i do know for a fact that the car struggles when the AC is on. this was even before the DME update. also, AC and/or hills combined affects my fuel pump. both times when the car started to do the shimmy, i was on the same freeway.

quite dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #1998
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

maybe it takes a while for the car/DME/ECU to adjust after the new software? anyone experience the same thing after putting some miles on it?

Wait until the car warms up a bit. It feels almost lag free for the 1st 10-15 minutes of driving.

I also think it is crazy how when I start my car in morning and if I stand behind it you can see the exhaust coming out of the passenger pipe only. After a minute or so you can hear the wastegate on the drivers side open up and the exhaust starts to flow to both. I was wondering why one exhaust tip was black and the other was clean.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #1999
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Oh boy ... please be specific about your s/w version update so that we can avoid this nonsense about lag magically curing itself for people infected with virus 29.2 ...
- maybe You just adapted to your car's “new” performance.
I've put more than 1k miles since my "de-tune" and the lag is still there and omnipresent. Floor it in any gear at 2,000 rpm (no need to bother going below that) and enjoy nothing until 3K +.

on a side note: you may raise suspicions about being a BMW NA mole with fairytales like this
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #2000
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Got to be just a placebo or you getting used to it. I guarantee if you hooked up a V3 with diagnostics, you'd see your WG cycles at the same levels that they have been. This disease does not cure itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #2001
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
I also think it is crazy how when I start my car in morning and if I stand behind it you can see the exhaust coming out of the passenger pipe only. After a minute or so you can hear the wastegate on the drivers side open up and the exhaust starts to flow to both. I was wondering why one exhaust tip was black and the other was clean.
That behavior is actually normal pre and post 29.2. The difference is the amount therefore sound volume of exhaust passing through the pipes. BMW's close that one exhaust flap at start-up in order to pre-heat the cats VERY quickly and burn off the nasties for good emmisions numbers. Once they heat up (a minute or so) that flap opens a bit and presto, you have two open pipes. Also, this is the same flap that is used to control noise and remains partially closed under light and no throttle, and opens to allow all the gasses under WOT on the stock exhaust. It's actually not the WASTEGATE opening as you refer to, it's the exhaust flap. To complicate things more, there is another internal flap or sorts, closer to the cats themselves, which do the same thing. For example, I have the Performance Exhaust, which has no flap in the passenger side, so it's barkingly loud at startup (and stinky with gas smell, with no flap to help the cats light quicker). However, even with no flap, the car does not POP POP POP BURBLE when lifting throttle for the first minute or so of warmup. Once a bit warmed, that internal mechanism changes, and instantly my car gets even louder under accel/decel. Sorry for the bit of OT, but I didn't want this going awry and getting confused with "wastegates" bein attributable to exhaust gasses on once side vs another. Just one last quick point which also negates the wastegates from having any specific left vs right exhaust pipe impact...in front of the cats is an X pipe, which blends the gasses (and noise) at that point, so it's not two separate pipes straight back.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #2002
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
That behavior is actually normal pre and post 29.2. The difference is the amount therefore sound volume of exhaust passing through the pipes. BMW's close that one exhaust flap at start-up in order to pre-heat the cats VERY quickly and burn off the nasties for good emmisions numbers. Once they heat up (a minute or so) that flap opens a bit and presto, you have two open pipes. Also, this is the same flap that is used to control noise and remains partially closed under light and no throttle, and opens to allow all the gasses under WOT on the stock exhaust. It's actually not the WASTEGATE opening as you refer to, it's the exhaust flap. To complicate things more, there is another internal flap or sorts, closer to the cats themselves, which do the same thing. For example, I have the Performance Exhaust, which has no flap in the passenger side, so it's barkingly loud at startup (and stinky with gas smell, with no flap to help the cats light quicker). However, even with no flap, the car does not POP POP POP BURBLE when lifting throttle for the first minute or so of warmup. Once a bit warmed, that internal mechanism changes, and instantly my car gets even louder under accel/decel. Sorry for the bit of OT, but I didn't want this going awry and getting confused with "wastegates" bein attributable to exhaust gasses on once side vs another. Just one last quick point which also negates the wastegates from having any specific left vs right exhaust pipe impact...in front of the cats is an X pipe, which blends the gasses (and noise) at that point, so it's not two separate pipes straight back.
Wow, good stuff Nova and thanks for the great reply as it was very informative. Most importantly thanks for not calling me a dumb ass
Appreciate 0