E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Bad News on the Recall Letter

11-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #133
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

You said: ABSOLUTELY make sure the vehicle has an immobilizer first by:

1) asking the Dealer and/or manufacturer
2) also asking RIV prior to paying/importing

For point 1, isn't all it takes is for someone once to check if all 2008 BMW's have the immobilizer? Sounds like noone here's done that yet? I can't see it changing from day to day, maybe by model, but at this point, it should be clear which models do and which don't.

2) I didn't think RIV will say anything to you. Won't they just say to get the mfr to show in their recall letter that it does have one? In which case you're back to point 1. Or I thought they'd just point you to the admissible cars list? You're saying they might verbally tell you something other than what's on their list?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #134
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (US)

There are actually two things you have to contend with during the import process: Admissibility and the Recall Clearance. Personally, I think the latter is horseshit.

The issue with the immobilizer falls in the Admissibility category, because AFAIK, you cannot retrofit a vehicle with an immobilizer unless you somehow replaced the entire ignition system?

Anyway - RIV is the authority and ultimately tells you yes or no, so that's why I'm recommending speaking to both prior to doing it. My car is already here, so take this as advice only - you're certainly free to go it as you see fit and let us know how it went.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #135
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmba View Post
Wanna hear something weird? I still don't have my clearance letter either; but today the RIV e-mailed me form 2 so I can take the car to get inspected. I didn't think they were supposed to do that until they got your clearance letter? Do you have yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #136
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
Wanna hear something weird? I still don't have my clearance letter either; but today the RIV e-mailed me form 2 so I can take the car to get inspected. I didn't think they were supposed to do that until they got your clearance letter? Do you have yours?
Your post gives me mixed emotions - on the one hand I'm so very happy that you're now able to get things going and get your car registered. On the other, NO, I DO NOT have my form 2 from RIV, and I contacted them a month ago, and I think my recall clearance from the dealer was submitted prior to yours...which makes me MAD!!!

I am still happy for you Picus - just let me wallow in my own misery for a while
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #137
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I still don't have my recall clearance letter, that's why it was weird. I got this e-mail from the RIV last week saying something like "hey, you are in our system but we don't have your clearance letter", I replied with "thanks, I have one coming", then they replied with form 2, which is weird. So I am going to go ahead and do the federal inspection, but I still don't think I can get registered until I have the clearance letter for the RIV.

Do you know if we need a provincial inspection too? The form 2 mentions that in some cases a provincial inspection is required before being licensed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #138
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
Any vehicles built after Sept 1 2007 needs an immobilizer. You can not add this after the car is built so do not buy the car if the door sticker date is after that day.
I must correct my previous post: It seems that you CAN add an immobilizer!!
www.mastergard.com
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #139
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
www.mastergard.com
Hmmm - I wonder if RIV will accept the aftermarket installation for imports?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #140
trickydisco
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
www.mastergard.com
Website states:
Meets Transportation Canada Standard CMVSS114

I don't know what that means.

It does not state the product/installation pricing.

Barrington
2006 330i sedan TiAg
1998 Porsche 911 C2S
1969 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #141
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Doesn't the mfr still need to sign off on the 3rd party immobilizer as being as good as theirs? Which isn't likely going to happen, regardless of whether the immobilizer meets the TC requirements. They need the mfr's approval IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #142
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro View Post
Doesn't the mfr still need to sign off on the 3rd party immobilizer as being as good as theirs? Which isn't likely going to happen, regardless of whether the immobilizer meets the TC requirements. They need the mfr's approval IIRC.
From RIV web page:

The Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 114 - Locking and Immobilization Systems, has been amended and, effective September 1, 2007, will require that every Multipurpose passenger vehicle, passenger car, truck, and three wheel vehicle manufactured after September 1, 2007, except for an emergency vehicle, or a vehicle that has a GVWR of 4,536 kg or more, or a walk-in van, be equipped with an immobilization system that meets the requirements specified in the amendment.

Please be advised that if you are planning to import a vehicle manufactured after September 1, 2007, that the vehicle may be affected by this requirement and if an immobilizer that meets CMVSS 114 is not already installed in the vehicle, that an immobilization system will have to be installed. You may also want to verify the cost of such an installation prior to importing a vehicle.

Note that it doesn't say that the vehicle mfg. has to certify the system, only that the system must meet CMVSS 114 standard.
There is a lot of good info re: importing at
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #143
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

Please...for the love of God people...do not believe the propoganda from the auto sector that it is difficult or impossible to import a car from the states. It is far easier than you might think. US cars are 25-30% cheaper and all Canadians should import. Even if the dollar dips back down to 90 cents...it is still cheaper to import from the states.

You've been screwed for so long you don't know what it feels like to not be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 02:14 AM   #144
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Note that it doesn't say that the vehicle mfg. has to certify the system, only that the system must meet CMVSS 114 standard.
There is a lot of good info re: importing at
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
Exactly that thread I've been reading. Post 9516 gets to what I was trying to say I've read various people say:

It appears that on the surface an after market immobilizer would meet the requirement. One problem is that the mfrs will maintain that the car has been modified and the warranty is void. The other problem is who certifies that the mod meets CMVSS114. I suggest that you get it done in the US with a manufacturers (theft deterrent-immobilizer) statement that it meets CMVSS114 and specifically the ULC documented version (ULC documentation costs approx $140 and is in the thread here). Also an invoice that clearly references CMVSS114 and ULC plus that it was installed. Talk to the Canadian Tire supervisor where you will be getting inspection done and get an opinion based on the documentation you will be providing. That was position 1, position 2 is will Canadian Tire install and certify an after market system. I can't see them turning down the second scenario. Just kiss your warranty goodbye. Don't forget that Canadian Tire is the one you have to impress.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #145
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro View Post
Exactly that thread I've been reading. Post 9516 gets to what I was trying to say I've read various people say:

It appears that on the surface an after market immobilizer would meet the requirement. One problem is that the mfrs will maintain that the car has been modified and the warranty is void. The other problem is who certifies that the mod meets CMVSS114. I suggest that you get it done in the US with a manufacturers (theft deterrent-immobilizer) statement that it meets CMVSS114 and specifically the ULC documented version (ULC documentation costs approx $140 and is in the thread here). Also an invoice that clearly references CMVSS114 and ULC plus that it was installed. Talk to the Canadian Tire supervisor where you will be getting inspection done and get an opinion based on the documentation you will be providing. That was position 1, position 2 is will Canadian Tire install and certify an after market system. I can't see them turning down the second scenario. Just kiss your warranty goodbye. Don't forget that Canadian Tire is the one you have to impress.
If you had read the previous couple of pages of that thread you would have seen the post from a lawyer who said that a manufacturer can deny a warranty ONLY if the malfunction was caused by the modification!!! The warranty on the rest of the car is still in effect. eg, since an immobilizer is nothing more than a switch on the ignition, if some morning your car won't start because the immobilizer has failed to turn on, don't expect BMW to fix it. But if it is because your fuel pump has konked out, repairs would still be covered by the warranty.

P.S. Which dealer do you work for?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #146
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you had read the previous couple of pages of that thread you would have seen the post from a lawyer who said that a manufacturer can deny a warranty ONLY if the malfunction was caused by the modification!!!

P.S. Which dealer do you work for?
I know about that concept, specifically as it's used in the US even more than here, as it's in their warranty act, the Karen Magnusson one IIRC. I thought that getting your car registered here required some sort of proof from an mfr, not just the company that installed the aftermarket immob., and that post I quoted sounded like it was saying something similar.

I only went back a few pages from the last, I've not read all 640 pages of that thread so I haven't read the post you're referrin to...

PS Don't assume things. Don't you know, that makes an ass out of u and me...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #147
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

It's not a BMW, but I am flying down to Washington DC on Saturday to pick up a 2007 Impala LTZ with 28k miles on it. I'm getting this car for $17k, where as in Canada they are all priced in and around $30k. My dad's taxi died on him, so he charged me with aquiring a replacement. This car is fully-loaded, sans sunroof (need to mount a roofsign), and the V8 (discovered that needs premium fuel, no-go for taxi).

Working with a great dealership in Maryland, this is their first time dealing with a Canadian and are jumping through all sorts of hoops to make sure this sale happens. I had completely forgotten that today was the American thanksgiving, so they won't be able to overnight the Title/BofS until tomorrow morning, which means I can't leave the US until Tuesday at around noon. No biggie, $45 motel stay ain't going to break the bank.

GM Canada has joined the extortion game however. I mentioned upthread that I had, years ago, gotten my recall clearance for free. They are now demanding $250 for it...

Will post an updated trip log when I get back!
      11-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #148
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Guys - the gentleman who published the "UCanImport" document I've promoted in here just emailed his subscribers with some tips that I think are pretty interesting, and contain some information about the new immobilizer ruling. I'm in no way connected to his publication, but from the value it gave me during import and the subsequent followup emails he sends out, I highly recommend paying the $9.99 to pick it up as Zabin (the creator) is a great resource, and his website is expanding to contain more info for us importers.

Here's an excerpt from his email today:

------------------

- The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) is currently receiving an unprecedented volume of inquiries and is backed up. There are sometimes some extended delays when telephoning or faxing their office. Be patient. We've found that the best time to call is first thing in the morning.

- Transport Canada is reviewing the list of inadmissible vehicles that are affected by the recently introduced immobilizer standard for many 2008 vehicles (November 1, 2007). More updated information is expected on the RIV site. Due to the huge public backlash against the new immobilizer regulation, we are expecting that some middle ground will be agreed upon and those importers that purchased their vehicles prior to November 1st may be granted some amnesty. Please keep us informed if you are caught in this unfortunate circumstance. We want to know how it worked out for you ...

- MONEY SAVING TIP: RIV accepts an internal dealer printout for BMW. If you are buying a BMW from a dealer in the US, save yourself $500 by having them print this document for you! If you would like us to send you a sample copy, please contact us at info@ucanimport.com

- Mitsubishi may not honour warranties on vehicles imported into Canada. Call the company and confirm if you are looking at importing a vehicle from this manufacturer.

- Note that the 2008 Toyota Landcruiser is not listed on the RIV as either admissible or inadmissible. HOWEVER, RIV is maintaining that this vehicle is not admissible. We are hoping that this discrepancy is adjusted to avoid confusion for Canadians looking to import this model.

- If purchasing an Audi that was manufactured prior to 2004, you should confirm the cost of installing Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). There may be more work than you expect for modifying older models from this manufacturer.

- TIME SAVING TIP: If purchasing an Audi or a Porsche from the U.S. our blog gives you the exact process, complete with contact information.

- MONEY SAVING TIP: Negotiate with the US dealerships to have a Manufacturer's Authorized Representative switch on your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) as part of your purchase price. This will save you both money and time when completing your importation.

- For UCanImport Readers living on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, please note that you can import cars using the Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, B.C. COHO Ferry. Information is now available on our site at http://www.ucanimport.com/border_crossing_info.aspx

- If you are buying a brand new car, the dealership may not issue you a Title document. This is not a worry, as US border crossings accept an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) in place of the Title.

- During your importation, please do not assume that the US border has received your documentation. The onus is on you to call them and confirm prior to your planned crossing date.

------------------

There is a lot more information in his newsletter. Website is here if you're thinking of doing an import: http://www.ucanimport.com
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #149
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmba View Post
------------------

There is a lot more information in his newsletter. Website is here if you're thinking of doing an import: http://www.ucanimport.com
That is a good website Elecricmba. A few other sites that have info on importing cars (not necessarily bimmers)

www.redflagdeals.com
www.carburner.com
www.importcarcanada.com

There are probably more............
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #150
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, GM is really on the ball with this. I paid their (slightly less) extortionist rate of $250 this morning, and the letter has already been faxed to the RIV! I don't even have the car yet!

On another note: The Lewiston Bridge into Niagara Falls from Buffalo, NY is the ONLY port in Ontario that will accept a faxed title anymore. I also tried the bridge closest to Montreal and that was a no-go. So, as a result I am making the 4 hour detour to go over the Lewiston Bridge, and consequently saving staying approximately 28 extra hours I would have had to stay in the states had I been taking any other bridge. My dealership could only release the title this morning after payment had cleared, thus they were going to overnight it to US Customs in Alexandria Bay, NY. FedEx guaranteed us delivery by 2pm Saturday, which meant I could leave the US at 2:01 pm Tuesday. By going over the Lewiston Bridge, I was able to have the title faxed at 10am this morning and can thus leave at 10:01am Monday. Total time saved by this detour: 28hours.

With my recall letter already sent, can I basically call the RIV like an hour after I have cleared the border and gotten a Form 1 and ask for my Form 2 to be emailed to me immediatly? That would be awesome: I could go in for my Canadian Tire inspection somewhere along the way back and go straight to my friends garage and get a safety, and get my plates the same day!
      11-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #151
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post

With my recall letter already sent, can I basically call the RIV like an hour after I have cleared the border and gotten a Form 1 and ask for my Form 2 to be emailed to me immediatly? That would be awesome: I could go in for my Canadian Tire inspection somewhere along the way back and go straight to my friends garage and get a safety, and get my plates the same day!
The fly in that ointment is the fact that you need to pay RIV and it typically needs 24 hrs to clear their system, even on internet payments. To do the payment online, you need the Form 1 Case Number. So, as the math genius would say, 2 into 1 don't go..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #152
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
The fly in that ointment is the fact that you need to pay RIV and it typically needs 24 hrs to clear their system, even on internet payments. To do the payment online, you need the Form 1 Case Number. So, as the math genius would say, 2 into 1 don't go..
But don't you pay the RIV directly at the border? The $2xx.xx fee? And doesn't the Form 1 that the CBSA gives you on behalf of the RIV have the case number on it?

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the RIV and CBSA can't process the payment immediately. They are government agencies after all... Ah well, worst case scenario, I get my plates next day. No big deal... I'm going to be running around the next day anyways to all the upfitters to get the taxi gear installed and going through a bunch of city inspections.
      11-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #153
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
But don't you pay the RIV directly at the border? The $2xx.xx fee? And doesn't the Form 1 that the CBSA gives you on behalf of the RIV have the case number on it?

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the RIV and CBSA can't process the payment immediately. They are government agencies after all... Ah well, worst case scenario, I get my plates next day. No big deal... I'm going to be running around the next day anyways to all the upfitters to get the taxi gear installed and going through a bunch of city inspections.
that may be the case at your border crossing, but the custom's agent at my crossing (BC) would not collect the RIV fee.. The Form 1 is the case number, yes. To make sure RIV got it all, I re-faxed the whole document set to them after phoning to get a specific fax number to make sure it was all there, in one place. At the same time I paid the RIV fee online using the case #, Port Code and Agent's ID, all on the Form 1.

24 hours later (these folks are really busy these days), I pestered them again, they had record of the fee payment by then, and asked them to email me the Form 2 pdf, which they did. One hour later, I was on the road, a Canadian Car, exit stage left from Canadian tire,
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #154
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, I'll play it by ear. Thanks for the heads up though! If that is the case, as soon as I have that I have all that information in my hands I will call someone at home to go online and do that part for me to save time.

I hear you about the volume thing. Queenston-Lewiston Customs and Border Patrol told me they are exporting in excess of 450 cars a DAY! Hence why they are the only one accepting faxes. Could you imagine the logistics behind signing for each one of the titles manually, and then tearing open each envelope and processing it? It would probably tie up a couple of agents for the better part of a day!