E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need troubleshooting advice on Performance Brake Kit

05-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Need troubleshooting advice on Performance Brake Kit

Hey guys,

I had my PBK installed about 2 months ago. I do not drive the car much but have put at least 800 miles on it since the kit was installed.

Right after the kit was installed the front passengers side was making a nasty noise like the pads were cutting into the rotors. This may have been what was happening as they are drilled and slotted. At first the noise was while driving and braking.

Now the only time the front right side makes noise is when I am driving at a decent speed and start turning left. It does not seem to make any noise when turning right.

I removed the wheel today and fully inspected the rotor and caliper without removing pads and everything looked just fine.

The brakes work great so I am wondering if they are still breaking in or should I be concerned as the noise as it is only on the front right side.

Thanks for any advise,

EricO
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Did you follow the manufacturer's correct recommended break in procedure to 'bed' the pads?

Usually entails a sequence of repeated stops from various speeds, various braking pressure, cooling down periods in between.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Did you follow the manufacturer's correct recommended break in procedure to 'bed' the pads?

Usually entails a sequence of repeated stops from various speeds, various braking pressure, cooling down periods in between.
Hello,

Well I did not get any instructions as I did not install them. I did do some initial braking at various speeds. The big noise was at the beginning with both front wheels. That all went away after breaking in the pads. I did not notice the other noise when turning left until days later as I do not drive the car much. I have put over 1000 miles on these pads and would have thought they would have fixed them self even if not full bedded in fully.

It is strange that it is only the front right wheel when turning left only.

Should I try and re-bed them again or could the pad just be defective?

Thanks for your input.

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I would bed in the pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I would bed in the pads.

I will try it again this weekend. Thanks to both of you. I will update this post once I do it all over again.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Worth a try. Also, check to see if there is any evidence of interference between caliper/caliper bracket and rotor.

It might be that whomever installed the brakes forgot to tighten something on the one side and it is hitting when wheel /rotor is stressed in a turn.

Don't know much about the BMW brakes as mine is under warranty for quite a while. But I did replace my stock brakes on my TransAm with the Baer 13-1/2" crossdrilled/slotted rotors and 6-piston calipers. With that kit I actually had to grind areas off of my factory front spindles to allow the caliper mounting bracket to fit correctly so it wasn't as simple of an install as I thought
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Update:

I took the wheel off today and further inspected the caliper and heat shield. I got a little excited when I saw one of the bolts to the heat shield with the head snapped off. It was not against the mounting location. I thought that was my issue for sure. I was able to drill out the broken bolt and replace it. I also looked at the brake pads and those looked perfectly fine. Once I put everything back together I went for a test drive and I am sad to sad the noise is still there. I was really hoping it was the heat shield.

I will take the car out this weekend in a commercial district and try and bed the brakes once more.

At least I found a bolt that was broke and was able to get it fixed with the old bolts from my original hardware.
Appreciate 0