E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > what is this and does it need a bracket?

06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
nismo740
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 325i

what is this and does it need a bracket?

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what this wire is for? It is located on the front struts. It seems to be held on by a small bracket on the inside of the front strut.

Name:  what is this wire.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  220.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

that is your break wear sensor wire. i am assuming that is the passenger side? usually the drivers side has two wires, one for the parking brake sensor and one for the angle sensor for the lights
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
nismo740
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for the reply. (yes this is the left strut when looking from front to back of car)

I'm asking as I have just received my new BC coilovers and they don't have any brackets on either the left or right strut.

it did say on BC website that

"Straight replacement for original equipment
The BC Racing coilovers are a direct replacement for the original equipment. Unlike other brands of coilovers, the BC Racing range do not require brackets fabricating, cable ties or jubilee clips to install. The bottom mounts come with all brackets to take the original ABS sensor leads, brake lines, anti roll bar drop links etc.Just take off your original equipment suspension and install the BC Racing suspension. A straightforward and simple install. "

Name:  bc coilover.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  238.5 KB
I know I have Front Right pictured but the Front Left is the same i.e. no brackets, Am I missing something here or is BC missing these brackets.

Do other brands of coilovers have these brackets on their front struts?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo740 View Post
thanks for the reply. (yes this is the left strut when looking from front to back of car)

I'm asking as I have just received my new BC coilovers and they don't have any brackets on either the left or right strut.

it did say on BC website that

"Straight replacement for original equipment
The BC Racing coilovers are a direct replacement for the original equipment. Unlike other brands of coilovers, the BC Racing range do not require brackets fabricating, cable ties or jubilee clips to install. The bottom mounts come with all brackets to take the original ABS sensor leads, brake lines, anti roll bar drop links etc.Just take off your original equipment suspension and install the BC Racing suspension. A straightforward and simple install. "

Attachment 395653
I know I have Front Right pictured but the Front Left is the same i.e. no brackets, Am I missing something here or is BC missing these brackets.

Do other brands of coilovers have these brackets on their front struts?

the brackets are attached to the pinch bolts on the spindle, they will stay with the new coilovers because the pinch bolt stays on the spindle in the same way that the factory strut is attached.

see item number 9 on this page

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=31&fg=10
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
nismo740
United Kingdom
Rep

issues with endlinks

do you think there would be any problems re-using the OEM endlinks on BC coilovers. The bracket is around 1" lower down on the BC compared to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Isn't it the ABS sensor cable ?
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0