E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Repair shops in Ann Arbor, MI Area?

04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Repair shops in Ann Arbor, MI Area?

Hello all

I was in an accident yesterday (my first ) and damaged my front bumper and hood. Gonna go the insurance route despite knowing that I can probably fix most of it myself for cheaper. Hopefully long-term my rates don't spike too much. I swear the progressive snapshot device reduces my reaction time (too much hesitation to use the break, since that's what it measures and bases discount on).

So, I'm looking for any recommended shops in the area for body work. It won't be much body work. I'm hoping they just replace the front bumper, front passenger headlight, and hood. Bumper could be repaired, but do body shops even do that? Got two nice punctures from a trailer hitch and a tow hook under a truck

Also, I'm hoping that I'll be able to pay the difference between a new OEM bumper through the insurance company and an M-tech or M-Sport bumper new, and maybe a new CF (but painted, eiew open CF) hood. I'm hoping I can pay the difference (and the difference won't be that much).

I don't know much about this stuff, since it's my first accident, but hopefully it's not too painful of a process, especially if I get some guidance on quality body shops in the area that take my insurance. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
      04-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

I'm not sure about Ann Arbor, but when someone hit my parked car, i took it to motorwerks in commerce (novi area). They put on an entire new door, paint matched perfect (color and factory orange peel).

I've had them paint a new OEM bumper and hood for me when i first got the car, and same deal. All quality work, and they work straight with your insurance, so you really don't have to do anything, just drop the car off, enterprise will leave a car there, and you drive away. Pretty simple actually.

My only advice is to check the quality of the painter of whatever shop you take it to, that's one of the most important things, since it's what you see everyday. Everyone pretty much recommends Auto Metric for repairs, and since Motorwerks has there painter, you know it's good paint work.

Good luck man, i know it sucks, but i'll share my experience, which has been nothing but positive with them.

www.motorwerksgroup.com
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
Depending on how long you have had Progressive, they forgive your first accident after a few years.
      04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
Depending on how long you have had Progressive, they forgive your first accident after a few years.
Only about 3 months... I signed up with them when I got this car. Hopefully somehow I'll still qualify in a few years. Hopefully they think I'm otherwise a good driver. Just got my snapshot refund of 20% for the first 3 months.... Just going back to them with the deductible...

I'll definitely check out Motorwerks. I've been reading a bunch of good things around here with them, and maybe they can help me figure out what bumper setup to go with and my options if any. I just hope they're in Progressive's "network," though Progressive said you can take it anywhere, but they'll try to keep the price as low as possible. I'm tempted to see how much they'll write the check for and see whether I can do the repairs myself with OEM painted parts. I doubt the shock-absorbing material behind the bumper was even moved, since it was just holes punched through the bumper in areas with nothing behind them. Guess it never hurts to have a professional check it out though, especially if someone else is paying for it, and the professionals are nice and professional.

Thanks for the heads ups!

Definitely not going on TSE Michigan this weekend.. My tail is between my legs till this crap gets fixed up again
      04-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I have had progressive for a while and you can go anywhere you want to take your car. I had repairs done at Cooper Auto Body in Lansing and they are top notch, but not on progressives list. I still had everything taken care of with no issues at all.

If you get a loner, just rock that at TSE
      04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
I have had progressive for a while and you can go anywhere you want to take your car. I had repairs done at Cooper Auto Body in Lansing and they are top notch, but not on progressives list. I still had everything taken care of with no issues at all.

If you get a loner, just rock that at TSE
No loaner. 10 years of no accidents, plus $5 a month for loaner coverage with the insurance. Oh yea, and I walk to work I live in an area where things are pretty easily walkable (and I'm trying to keep my weight down), so it works out pretty well.

My car was insured as a "Pleasure Car" too, since I walk to work. That's how I kept my insurance at reasonable levels to begin with. Thanks for the heads up with Progressive though! good stuff to hear.
      04-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Didn't you just get this car? Sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad you are ok. Time for cosmetic upgrades.
      04-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
Didn't you just get this car? Sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad you are ok. Time for cosmetic upgrades.
Why Yes, Eye4speed, I did just get the car!

Yea. Sucks. I've never been in an accident or had a ticket before. I mean, I'm going to make lemonade out of lemons. I was pissed that the bumper was full of pockmarks from road debris when I got it CPO, and in fact it was one of the only complaints I had about the car. Also, that side headlamp had a scratch in the front from CPO too, so I guess that'll be replaced.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Yea, the cosmetic upgrades are what I'm hoping for, just have to talk to the repair shop about getting the better/sport bumper and potentially CF painted hood (if I can pay the difference, or not).

Last edited by Dr.GumbyM.D.; 04-12-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

When the person ran into my car, they had progressive, and i went thru their ins. company, so they are familiar with progressive, not sure if they are in network, but they've worked with them on my car. The thing is, progressive will est. what it costs to fix, you take it to the repair shop, there is a system (sorry forgot what it's called) that has the cost for everything, parts, paint, labor, time, etc. this is what all repair shops use. If they find something that's not known in the original progressive est. they need to get it approved. Motorwerks are good guys, and are into modding cars, so just ask if you can pay the difference for an M-tech front or whatever else you want. As long as it's OEM you should be ok, but of course ask them.

PS - the pockmarks are why i had my hood and new bumper painted when i first got my car as well. Jet Black is the softest paint around, not much you can do. They put a little more clear on so i can polish it out when needed for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

No fault insurance sucks. If they are found at fault, you can file for mini-torte (spelling) and get refunded $500 off your deductible.
      04-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
DirtyD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi e92 Alpine White

Noooooo!!!! Gumby I'm so sorry to hear this I was looking forward to meeting you at TSE. Ugh what a pain, I guess you will be spending the weekend with your fiancé after all

2008328xie92
Alpine WhiteSaddle Brown
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
No fault insurance sucks. If they are found at fault, you can file for mini-torte (spelling) and get refunded $500 off your deductible.
I was written the ticket because I hit the back of their car, despite they running the light, deciding not to go through with it, and slamming their brakes, in heavy traffic, and I just too the brunt of it. I'm at least going to fight the ticket and say I swerved to avoid a worse accident because of the circumstances. We'll see. Point is, legally the car in front can't be at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Noooooo!!!! Gumby I'm so sorry to hear this I was looking forward to meeting you at TSE. Ugh what a pain, I guess you will be spending the weekend with your fiancé after all
Thanks Dan. Sorry if you did get the time to go! I was looking forward to meeting up too.. Maybe the next time we meet I'll have a nicer bumper and hood!