E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carbon Fibre Bonnet

01-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335D M Sport

Carbon Fibre Bonnet

Hi chaps, been looking at getting an M3 style bonnet as I find the standard e90 bonnet a bit drab and its a big flat space so I thought the power dome of the M3 style breaks that up nicely, so my question is does anyone have any experience with a carbon fibre bonnet (ie) do they fit well, are they well made and are they sturdy, Ive looked at many adverts for places selling them and the prices seem all over the place. many thanks

http://mstyle-px.rtrk.co.uk/acatalog/info_B06CF001.html

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap...s/tcb6071.html

http://www.aktivperformanceparts.co....549-769661.php

http://www.carnoisseurdirect.com/sei...bm-25163-p.asp
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Laney
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx ms, E90 330d ms

Garage List
I have a friend with a carbon fiber bonnet on his E36 M3. Its to long so it bulges in the middle. It looks ridiculous and the company he bought it from won't do anything about it.

Its always a risk when buying carbon fibre panels due to fitment and quality issues.

Do you you have a pre LCI or an LCI? Maybe a facelift bonnet and bumper would be a better option??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

I would steer clear, a few smaller CF items can look well but a full bonnet would get a firm no from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I have no experience with BMW carbon bonnets specifically but I do have experience with a Seibon bonnets for 3 different cars and have found them to be perfect fit and finish every time! It is more expensive for a reason. Go with the last link if you want peace of mind that it will fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Laney
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx ms, E90 330d ms

Garage List
Would you be painting it to match the car or leaving it as it comes?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
Do you you have a pre LCI or an LCI? Maybe a facelift bonnet and bumper would be a better option??
Thanks Laney, I have a pre LCI but the LCI bonnet does nothing for me visually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
I would steer clear, a few smaller CF items can look well but a full bonnet would get a firm no from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
I have no experience with BMW carbon bonnets specifically but I do have experience with a Seibon bonnets for 3 different cars and have found them to be perfect fit and finish every time! It is more expensive for a reason. Go with the last link if you want peace of mind that it will fit.
Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
Would you be painting it to match the car or leaving it as it comes?
Well my car is Sparkling Graphite so I would probably leave it as is, if the feedback comes in as a no go I will probably just get the Metal version of the bonnet but obviously I would have to get that sprayed, thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Seriously... If your budget allows and you really want carbon go for a Seibon bonnet. You won't be dissapointed.

No. I am not on commission
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Seriously... If your budget allows and you really want carbon go for a Seibon bonnet. You won't be dissapointed.

No. I am not on commission
Nick on the under side of the bonnets are they like double skinned for strength or do they have a skeleton type of thing going on. thanks btw
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
All the ones I have had have the skeleton thing going on. I think you would be looking at custom/mega bucks for a double skinned bonnet. It would be nice but how much time do you spend admiring the underside I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All the ones I have had have the skeleton thing going on. I think you would be looking at custom/mega bucks for a double skinned bonnet. It would be nice but how much time do you spend admiring the underside I suppose?
Oh right, not that I want a double skin affair, I was just curious how they get the rigidity of the bonnet, I know CF is thin so I'm picturing in my brain that it will rattle around or be a bit flimsy, is this the case?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
If the fit is spot on and it has some rubber cushioning on it then you shouldn't have a problem. There is no reason for it to be more rattly than a OEM bonnet as long as it fits right. It is very thin but very strong and the skeleton gubbins makes it very ridgid. The bonets I have had have mouldings/skeleton bits round the edges to give it the same thickness as OEM where it makes contact with the rest of the car if you know what I mean?

If you did have a rattle that you noticed it would be easily fixed by applying some 2mm heatproof foam tape in the offending area. I have done this with exhausts before but never had to do it with a bonnet.

You know the other option would be to wrap it in carbon effect vinyl (although a bit of a cheap boy racer option)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info Nick, much appreciated :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

[QUOTE=Raymo;11229191]Hi chaps, been looking at getting an M3 style bonnet as I find the standard e90 bonnet a bit drab and its a big flat space so I thought the power dome of the M3 style breaks that up nicely, so my question is does anyone have any experience with a carbon fibre bonnet (ie) do they fit well, are they well made and are they sturdy, Ive looked at many adverts for places selling them and the prices seem all over the place. many thanks

Hi, have a look at these guys, carbon and steel with lots of styles, quality and excelent prices.
Kev.

http://www.schmiedmann.com/3_series/...e15.htm#paging

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=ZURICH;11237626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Hi chaps, been looking at getting an M3 style bonnet as I find the standard e90 bonnet a bit drab and its a big flat space so I thought the power dome of the M3 style breaks that up nicely, so my question is does anyone have any experience with a carbon fibre bonnet (ie) do they fit well, are they well made and are they sturdy, Ive looked at many adverts for places selling them and the prices seem all over the place. many thanks

Hi, have a look at these guys, carbon and steel with lots of styles, quality and excelent prices.
Kev.

http://www.schmiedmann.com/3_series/...e15.htm#paging
Thanks Kev, great site, Have you had anything from them? and whats the quality like?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

[QUOTE=Raymo;11239543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZURICH View Post
Thanks Kev, great site, Have you had anything from them? and whats the quality like?
Had a few bits and pieces, delivery times are allways accurate and quality of products is top rate, I would give them 10 / 10.

Kev

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0