Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Low Tire Pressure

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
SureShot434
Enforcer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Garage List
Low Tire Pressure

So at 5:30 this morning i got in my car to come to work and as soon as I turned my car on I got a Low Tire Pressure warning and it said it was the driver rear side. I know I just need to check the tire pressure and may add some air. It's just really random that it sat for 6 hours over the night and all of the sudden I get a low tire pressure warning?

My question is will it be ok to drive to my grandparents after work and check it there since I have a family reunion? I'm wondering if it will be ok since I have the run flat tired....? I haven't yet gotten a tire pressure gauge to keep in my car yet and well now I'm wishing i would have done that already.

Thanks guys.

-SureShot434

2001 325is / Alcantra Shift Boot / M3 Motor Mounts / Clear Tails, Side Markers, and Signals / Thule Roof Rack / Thule Snowboard Carrier / 15% Tint with Brow
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
How far do you have to drive? I would stop by a gas station and check the tire pressure/add some air. I wouldn't drive more than a couple miles on a low tire; you risk damaging the wheel, depending on how low the tire is. In my experience, my TPMS is a little sensitive, and comes on if the tire is only 5-6# low, but I've heard others say that it doesn't come on for them until the tire is almost flat. Does the tire look low?

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it.

Add air and keep an eye on it. If you can't find a nail/hole in the tire, have your wheel checked. Tires don't just lose air for the hell of it. Have both checked out ASAP, but just adding some air to it now will probably hold you over.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
SureShot434
Enforcer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
How far do you have to drive? I would stop by a gas station and check the tire pressure/add some air. I wouldn't drive more than a couple miles on a low tire; you risk damaging the wheel, depending on how low the tire is. In my experience, my TPMS is a little sensitive, and comes on if the tire is only 5-6# low, but I've heard others say that it doesn't come on for them until the tire is almost flat. Does the tire look low?

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it.

Add air and keep an eye on it. If you can't find a nail/hole in the tire, have your wheel checked. Tires don't just lose air for the hell of it. Have both checked out ASAP, but just adding some air to it now will probably hold you over.
The tire doesn't look flat at all, which I was told it wouldn't ever really look low due to it being a run flat. Is that true? I have to drive about 30 miles. I think I will go to the closest gas station and check it out. I don't remember ever hitting any pot holes or curbs and such on my way home last night.

They are having a fair in my town and I had to take some side streets to get home and it was packed last night. I'm hoping some little freaking kid, thinking he was funny, and throw something in the street for people to drive over or something!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

2001 325is / Alcantra Shift Boot / M3 Motor Mounts / Clear Tails, Side Markers, and Signals / Thule Roof Rack / Thule Snowboard Carrier / 15% Tint with Brow
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.26]
2008 328i  [5.50]
I had low tire pressure neglected it for a day was going to get it filled them somehow it got really low on air and I got a flat. I didn't have runflats either. I would get it checked out now, go to a local gas station they should have a mechanic who can fill it up for free some have self serve stations where who can fill it up yourself.
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
The tire doesn't look flat at all, which I was told it wouldn't ever really look low due to it being a run flat. Is that true? I have to drive about 30 miles. I think I will go to the closest gas station and check it out. I don't remember ever hitting any pot holes or curbs and such on my way home last night.

They are having a fair in my town and I had to take some side streets to get home and it was packed last night. I'm hoping some little freaking kid, thinking he was funny, and throw something in the street for people to drive over or something!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

I have learned the hard way over the years to be absolutely diligent about my wheels/tires/tire pressure. Especially since these cars do not come with spares, it's better to be safe than sorry. I always have my wheel and tire thoroughly checked even if I find it just a couple lbs low (sometimes temperature fluctuations can cause this to happen naturally, but like I said, I learned the hard way to never ever neglect or ignore a low tire warning. It could literally leave you stranded. Ask me how I know).

As far as runflats not looking flat/low, that could very well be true but I have aftermarket wheels and tires so I don't have much experience with RFTs.

Sometimes places like Discount Tire or indy tire shops will top off your air for free if you ask. And if your tires have Nitrogen in them, yes, you can top off with regular old air from a tire shop/gas station if you're low.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

If you do not damage the run flat tire by driving on it when deflated, there is a good chance it may be safely repaired. Otherwise, be prepared to replace the tire.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Just swing by your dealer. I had low pressure warning on my passenger front tire this morning after leaving my car there over night. They aired it up for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
this is normal, something to do with ambient temperature, not exactly sure but did temperature in your area drop over night? Also rft's are pretty tough, I drove for about a week with a flat, yea don't ask, I wouldn't recommend that either but just keep it under 50 and take it nice and easy on your way to a tire shop.
I no longer have rft's but keep an oem spare in the trunk and a small air compressor that plugs into lighter.
      07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
SureShot434
Enforcer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Just swing by your dealer. I had low pressure warning on my passenger front tire this morning after leaving my car there over night. They aired it up for me.
Dealer is an hour and a half away and they closed already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
this is normal, something to do with ambient temperature, not exactly sure but did temperature in your area drop over night? Also rft's are pretty tough, I drove for about a week with a flat, yea don't ask, I wouldn't recommend that either but just keep it under 50 and take it nice and easy on your way to a tire shop.
I no longer have rft's but keep an oem spare in the trunk and a small air compressor that plugs into lighter.
I don't really think the temp dropped all that much. It was ALOT cooler during the day yesterday than it has been recently, and didn't much change over night.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
Well when I go to work in the morning no gas stations are open. I live in a rural area near the Air Force base I work at. I'm still at work when its suppose to be my day off, instead I'm working 12.5 hours missing a huge majority of my family reunion. I get off work in about an hour then i will be going to a gas station. So before you start saying things like this please just think for a moment that maybe there are factors that didn't allow the op (me) to get it taken care of on the way to work.

As for taking it to the dealer...the dealer is an hour and a hald away. I'm hoping its nothing like a bent wheel or anything like that since I'm leaving Tuesday for vacation to Michigan and Canada.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I highlighted the part that matters. Problems solved. See how easy that is.
Sold: 2007 MB E92 335i, 2011 BSM E92 335i, 2014 EB M235i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

U should be alright it probably lost some air... I got to 2 big nails on 2 of my tires for more than a week, u can feel it and I havent lost air but hopefully Monday I will get new ones.

2011 335is
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Why not pick up a small 12v compressor (try a motorcycle shop) along with a good tire gauge and maintain your own tires?

Inflate all four tires to the psi indicated on your door jamb card and then RESET the TPMS system according to your owner's manual. After you have done this, your warning should not come on unless there is a drop of about 25% in one or more of your tires - which not normal at all in spite of what you might read on the 'net.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Same thing has happened to me 4 or 5 times. In all but one of the cases, I had a nail or screw in a tire.

Check the pressure in all 4 tires. If one is a few pounds lower than the rest, you probably have a nail or screw in the tire. So the next question is it a slow leak or fast leak? If it's a slow leak, you can top up the pressure and drive on it until you have a chance to repair it. But you must monitor it and keep it topped up. If you let the pressure drop significantly from normal and drive on it for any appreciable distance (? miles), you will have to replace the tire, but it should get you home. If you keep the pressure up, you can repair a RFT at some shops, but most dealers won't repair them.

The first time it happened to me, I was 80 miles from home, which involved an hour of freeway driving. I topped it up and checked it after a few miles. The pressure held. So I hit the road and drove home. I checked the pressure again and it was still normal. So I had some time before I had to repair it. I have a friend that nursed a slow leak for weeks.

One time I lost all pressure in a tire (RFT). I drove it about 10 miles and got it replaced. At very slow speeds, I could feel much higher rolling resistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Yesterday morning, got in the car and had the message- Low Tire.
But here's where it gets interesting.
ALL FOUR TIRES!
Then go into IDrive and the status page doesn't show low tires. All four tires are good to go.
Go to put air in them, and no need.. pressures are good!
Try to reset the TPMS, no go~

Have to wait till Tues to get to my BMW dealer. Anyone ever hear of this?!

Thanks
Motch
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
^maybe tpms batteries?
I read something similar, issue with the tpms itself
      07-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
SureShot434
Enforcer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ended up having 33 psi in the tire..so it was a little low. I added some air and reset the tpms and no more issues. Hopefully ther isn't a nail or something in it. I'll monitor it for a couple days and take it in if it gets low again.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

OP glad you got it worked out. Keep an eye on it for a few days and you should be fine. I'd look into a pressure gauge, you can get them at any auto store and they come in handy. Also look into an air compressor, they are relatively inexpensive and are nice to have in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
PhilipWinkel
Rep
Drives: BMW

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue. The TPM keeps going off for the drivers front tire, but it looks fine and I just checked it two weeks ago. I will check it again, but am wondering if our cars tell us what the current tire pressure is. I would assume it does in the system info, but I can't find it. I figure it would beat using a little gage and checking it manually. Just assumed the car would have the PSI figures in the iDrive system.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

It's called PV=nRT
Appreciate 0