E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DMF on its way out?

06-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
YunzyE90
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

DMF on its way out?

Hi guys, first time I’m actually creating a thread on this forum.

So two months ago I bought a E90 318i (59 plate), 89k on the clock, manual.

So I recently noticed a vibration in my clutch when changing gears, it’s usually when the clutch is fully pressed, right before releasing it again. It is usually between gears 1- 3, shifting at 2k revs or more. It is very slight, but noticeable for someone who is sensitive to car noises and feels like me. Also worth noting, there is no noises what so ever when pressing and releasing the clutch, just that slight vibration (sometimes). I say this as my research online leads to many associating their DM flywheel issue with noises, however I do not have any noises (…yet).

Thus, I gave my trusty mechanic a call about the symptoms and said that the Dual Mass Flywheel is on its way out.

is this correct?

I am currently moving houses at the moment thus haven’t got the spare money lying around. Therefore, as it seems minor (I think). I’m hoping to leave it for a couple of months, Until I get both clutch and flywheel replaced.

is this okay? Or will it damage other components, I.e gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I wouldn't worry about it, DMF's generally grumble for a good long while before they need replacing. Keep an eye on it and change it when the clutch starts showing signs of wear, i.e. when it starts slipping of difficult to engage gears.

Mine has a slight grumble and I'm on 90k. I won't be changing it till the clutch needs doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
YunzyE90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, DMF's generally grumble for a good long while before they need replacing. Keep an eye on it and change it when the clutch starts showing signs of wear, i.e. when it starts slipping of difficult to engage gears.

Mine has a slight grumble and I'm on 90k. I won't be changing it till the clutch needs doing.

Hi Silverstreek, thank you so much for the reply!

By grumble you mean vibration when changing gears, right? And yes, clutch bite is at a perfect point as well as no slippage at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah it's a bit of vibration after putting into gear when lifting clutch through the bite point. As soon as its in gear no more vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
YunzyE90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Yeah it's a bit of vibration after putting into gear then lifting clutch through the bite point. As soon as its in gear no more vibration.
Yeah, same here tbh. Thank you for giving me a peace of mind. Guess I’ll wait till it gets worse and/or gears start slipping or struggle to get into gears. Just hope it doesn’t damage the gearbox in the process.

How long/miles have you driven with this problem? As mine only started couple of days ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Over 10k miles. My old E46 (also has dmf) did it for about 40k before the clutch started slipping and I changed both.

DMF vibration is common on all cars that have one fitted.

As long as it's not really banging don't worry too much about it.
Appreciate 0