E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335xi cold start trouble

09-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
dahabit
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

335xi cold start trouble

Hi all,

I have a 2008 335xi and every morning when the weather is a bit cold it seems like the car wants to die. I have no problem with the car starting but after about 5-8 seconds the rpm drops a bit, and the car shakes and it almost feels like the car is going to stall or the engine will die. I usually just the turn car off and start it again. The problem doesn't seem to be there once the engine is warmed up. This is only happens every morning. I have taken a quick little video show you guys.

I ran the code few weeks ago and it said #5 ignition is bad so I replaced the ignition coil. That didn't seem to fix the issue. The car is currently in the shop to replace all spark plug. My question is, is it really the spark plug or is it a starter or something else?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vmLaJzocuCiUEGUE7
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
domain007
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i X-drive

i would say your injectors are toast also, when was your last valve cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahabit View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2008 335xi and every morning when the weather is a bit cold it seems like the car wants to die. I have no problem with the car starting but after about 5-8 seconds the rpm drops a bit, and the car shakes and it almost feels like the car is going to stall or the engine will die. I usually just the turn car off and start it again. The problem doesn't seem to be there once the engine is warmed up. This is only happens every morning. I have taken a quick little video show you guys.

I ran the code few weeks ago and it said #5 ignition is bad so I replaced the ignition coil. That didn't seem to fix the issue. The car is currently in the shop to replace all spark plug. My question is, is it really the spark plug or is it a starter or something else?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vmLaJzocuCiUEGUE7
Are you running Mhd? Do you have the cold start idle reducing feature on? I swapped my injectors because of something similar and afterwards the issue was still there. I took the Mhd cold start feature and it’s fixed now. $1200 worth of injectors later unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
dahabit
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain007 View Post
Well that can't be good. To answer your question, I am not sure, I only purchased the car few months ago. It has about 183,000 KM on it. I am slowly going through changing everything I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
dahabit
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Are you running Mhd? Do you have the cold start idle reducing feature on? I swapped my injectors because of something similar and afterwards the issue was still there. I took the Mhd cold start feature and it’s fixed now. $1200 worth of injectors later unfortunately...
I will be honest, I am not sure what Mhd is. But I will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
If you don’t know what Mhd is then you probably don’t have it. It’s an aftermarket tubing software. It’s possible you bought the car with Mhd installed...or maybe another aftermarket tune that has the cold start idle disabled.

What rpm does your car normally idle at on a cold start?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
dahabit
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
If you don’t know what Mhd is then you probably don’t have it. It’s an aftermarket tubing software. It’s possible you bought the car with Mhd installed...or maybe another aftermarket tune that has the cold start idle disabled.

What rpm does your car normally idle at on a cold start?
Usually its about 1000rpm then it slowly drops to around 600-500rpm thats when the shaking and feeling of stalling happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
dahabit
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain007 View Post
if the injectors are toast would I not have the same starting trouble all the time? Could it be the Vanos solenoid?
Appreciate 0