E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rattle/noise goes away when pushing on passenger dash - any ideas?

07-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Rattle/noise goes away when pushing on passenger dash - any ideas?

I'm asking again since I've searched before and before and never found an answer and now I got more "discovery".

I have this odd sounding noise when like swerving the car even at like ~ 20mph. Comes from passenger side and it's not a rattle but more like a deep creaking noise.

I removed my a pillar and all my metal dash trim to try and locate it but nada.

But tonight I drove with someone and if he pushed on the passenger side front metal trim near the vent or even top of the dash it would go away.

So... I know usually you would put foam on the problem to avoid it from having play but in this case anything I can do to add pressure? Or do I have to dig deeper...

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 07-22-2019 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
kens
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335 Coupe

Check the side of the dash on the passenger side, there is a panel that you can see with the door open. It is clipped in to cover everything up, put some sound deadening material in there to tighten it up and the rattle/creak went away. I also cleaned every rubber seal along the door and edges.

So one of those worked. Hope it helps

Just to be clear you do not have to remove the door panel, I just grabbed an image online for illustration

Last edited by kens; 07-20-2019 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Check the side of the dash on the passenger side, there is a panel that you can see with the door open. It is clipped in to cover everything up, I put some sound deadening material in there to tighten it up and my rattle/creak went away. I also cleaned every rubber seal along the door and edges up there then used some rubber restoration stuff, I think Gummi Pflege.

Just to be clear you do not have to remove the door panel, I just grabbed an image online for illustration
Thanks for the idea. It's currently off and noise still there. I might try that though to maybe add pressure. How/where exactly did you apply sound deadening? Like right on the other side flat or?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
...I have this odd sounding noise when like swerving the car even at like ~ 20mph. Comes from passenger side and it's not a rattle but more like a deep creaking noise...
Have you had the "Blower Motor Wiring" or Harness Recall done on your vehicle? Since you are in Canada, I don't know if you have similar recall procedures as US.

ANYONE who has sounds coming from the Glovebox area, AFTER that recall (17V-676) has been performed, should be aware that the first step in the prescribed "Procedure" per the attached RCRIT, beginning at Page 6, is to remove the Glovebox. Then, as described at Page 10, the Lower A-Pillar trim has to be removed to access the Chassis Ground Location for the NEW Ground wire.

May have NOTHING to do with the "creaking noise" in this case, but something to be aware of if things change after recall performed.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-17V676-0612 Blower.pdf (3.14 MB, 74 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Have you had the "Blower Motor Wiring" or Harness Recall done on your vehicle? Since you are in Canada, I don't know if you have similar recall procedures as US.

ANYONE who has sounds coming from the Glovebox area, AFTER that recall (17V-676) has been performed, should be aware that the first step in the prescribed "Procedure" per the attached RCRIT, beginning at Page 6, is to remove the Glovebox. Then, as described at Page 10, the Lower A-Pillar trim has to be removed to access the Chassis Ground Location for the NEW Ground wire.

May have NOTHING to do with the "creaking noise" in this case, but something to be aware of if things change after recall performed.

George
Thanks for sharing this.

After getting my car back from this recall I did notice a couple noises that weren’t there before. The tech had done a shitty job aligning a couple trim pieces, and best of all, had tightened a few screws down so god damned hard that it broke the plastic

The joys of flat-rate shop work. I’m sure the job pays f*ck all and the tech was in such a hurry that he didn’t even bother to dial back the torque limit on his electric driver. Nicely done...
      07-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

George
Yeah all recalls were done before I got the car and I think blower motor was part of it. The dealer also had to change the AC component in the dash (I think evaporator) before I bought the car used since it was broken so I'm scared they did something when the dash was fully apart...

I identified one glove box rattle/crack to be the damper piston but that was a completely other noise.

To give you an idea. I was able to drive without the A pillar airbag cover, without the glove box, without the underpannel (above feet under glovebox) and without the long metal dash trim and I am still getting the noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Thanks for sharing this.

After getting my car back from this recall I did notice a couple noises that weren’t there before. The tech had done a shitty job aligning a couple trim pieces, and best of all, had tightened a few screws down so god damned hard that it broke the plastic

The joys of flat-rate shop work. I’m sure the job pays f*ck all and the tech was in such a hurry that he didn’t even bother to dial back the torque limit on his electric driver. Nicely done...
Dude when I was removing my glovebox yesterday for dashcam install I noticed how the screw were in so tight that it marked like the mount location.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Check the side of the dash on the passenger side, there is a panel that you can see with the door open. It is clipped in to cover everything up, I put some sound deadening material in there to tighten it up and my rattle/creak went away. I also cleaned every rubber seal along the door and edges up there then used some rubber restoration stuff, I think Gummi Pflege.

Oh my god ok dude I think you're right on the money if not really damn close. I had to glue back on a piece of like wood flexbile trim that's behind A pillar air bag. I had my glove box, A pillar and that panel of went for a test drive ZERO creaking I thought I fixed it with the glue but I was like impossible because last year it was sticked on.

So I put back one piece at a time. Start with A pillar go for a drive, fuckin'a not creak.

So I put the pannel in your picture and my picture below and the creaking came back right away. I took it out and it was still there faintly. Not sure if the piece pushed other thing around there or what... but at least I know it's not deep in the dash.

So to be clear, where did you apply your foam/sound deadening?

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
kens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh my god ok dude I think you're right on the money if not really damn close. I had to glue back on a piece of like wood flexbile trim that's behind A pillar air bag. I had my glove box, A pillar and that panel of went for a test drive ZERO creaking I thought I fixed it with the glue but I was like impossible because last year it was sticked on.

So I put back one piece at a time. Start with A pillar go for a drive, fuckin'a not creak.

So I put the panel in your picture and my picture below and the creaking came back right away. I took it out and it was still there faintly. Not sure if the piece pushed other thing around there or what... but at least I know it's not deep in the dash.

So to be clear, where did you apply your foam/sound deadening?

I kinda just stuck little pieces here and there where I thought creaking may come from...

I used left over sound deadening material because foam would have compression and the ability to leave piece bulging or still movable. I wanted something that stuck well, created just enough of a tight press that it didn't bulge or have loose bits. I put little pieces where I thought creaking might come from and just continued doing that until when touched and pressed, it had almost no play. I wasn't relying on the sound deadening working as intended, it was just a spacer.

I put some behind the panel you have off, I lifted a little piece of the dash (where you can see the L shaped line above the trim next to the writing on the dash) and stuck a little piece there, I put the piece back on and noticed some areas around the clips still had some play.

You're probably just gonna have to experiment with it. As a side note - I had the blower motor recall done too, unknown if it was affecting it.

If you don't get all of it - I've also heard people say that the side sill piece of plastic (on the skirt) also creaks or can creak when the car flexes You can lift up the edges and stick some stuff in there too to create a tighter fit.

Last edited by kens; 07-17-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I kinda just stuck little pieces here and there where I thought creaking may come from...

I used left over sound deadening material because foam would have compression and the ability to leave piece bulging or still movable. I wanted something that stuck well, created just enough of a tight press that it didn't bulge or have loose bits. I put little pieces where I thought creaking might come from and just continued doing that until when touched and pressed, it had almost no play. I wasn't relying on the sound deadening working as intended, it was just a spacer.

I put some behind the panel you have off, I lifted a little piece of the dash (where you can see the L shaped line above the trim next to the writing on the dash) and stuck a little piece there, I put the piece back on and noticed some areas around the clips still had some play.

You're probably just gonna have to experiment with it. As a side note - I had the blower motor recall done too, unknown if it was affecting it.

If you don't get all of it - I've also heard people say that the side sill piece of plastic (on the skirt) also creaks or can creak when the car flexes You can lift up the edges and stick some stuff in there too to create a tighter fit.
Ok I was wondering if something I could buy local.

Did you do anything to the plastic retaining tabs? Like I'm not 100% sure where the noise comes from I would have to have someone driving when I'm in passenger.

How did you pull up the dash? If I am understanding you correct you lifted up the black soft touch where it says "airbag"?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
kens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok I was wondering if something I could buy local.

Did you do anything to the plastic retaining tabs? Like I'm not 100% sure where the noise comes from I would have to have someone driving when I'm in passenger.

How did you pull up the dash? If I am understanding you correct you lifted up the black soft touch where it says "airbag"?
I'm not going to go pull mine out, and it's been a while but I think hit most of these spots with small pieces I cut. As far as material goes, idk where you can get it, I had gotten mine from amazon for a previous speaker install. No I didn't touch the tabs, just the areas around them. Really small pieces is all it took, I didn't go crazy on it

For the orange arrow, I put a piece both under and over that (as it's actually 3 layers of plastic at that point)

This stuff

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
kens
Private
Rep

I was just thinking maybe felt would be good for this, from an arts and crafts store.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Yup, I use adhesive backed felt to solve my rattle issues, like the damn sliding cover for the rear passenger center console cubby on my E92. Got it from Michaels, the local arts and crafts store.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Yup, I use adhesive backed felt to solve my rattle issues, like the damn sliding cover for the rear passenger center console cubby on my E92. Got it from Michaels, the local arts and crafts store.
My arts craft store was a bit to far. A forum post on F80 said they used this to fix their rattle and I see it's avail in Canada so hopefully it does well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to go pull mine out, and it's been a while but I think hit most of these spots with small pieces I cut. As far as material goes, idk where you can get it, I had gotten mine from amazon for a previous speaker install. No I didn't touch the tabs, just the areas around them. Really small pieces is all it took, I didn't go crazy on it

For the orange arrow, I put a piece both under and over that (as it's actually 3 layers of plastic at that point)
Finally got it resolved man. Put felt under a bit everywhere but then realised the noise was creaking when pushing the weatherstrip onto the lip of the plastic piece so added a line of felt on the outiside. You really don't see it that much to the eye so that's good and now my issue is finally resolved after one year

Only thing that bothers me with this car is the clutch pedal second detent I get... but I think i'll have to deal with that.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 07-21-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Aaaaand it's fucking back. Holy shit this creaking is annoying. I pulled out the trim panel and it was still there! I have no clue anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Okay the noise seem to be really prevalent only when it's like between 15c and 20c. This is why it hasn't bothered me since summer started... such a PITA to diagnose.
Appreciate 0