E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Used E91 with 150k miles

07-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
asaeljethro
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Wagon

Used E91 with 150k miles

Hey guys,

I checked out a used E91xi yesterday that a dealer had listed for 4.5k.

Specs: Has the project/xenon lights, has panoramic sunroof, tires are beefy, mirrors still power fold with no problems.

Test drove it, the airconditioning wasnt cold (salesperson said it just needed freon), the test drive was awesome. I love how much power it has and how smooth it was compared to my e46 wagon. During the testdrive I notice the sunroof was rattling (did a google search and saw you can put velcro stickys up there to stop it from rattling.

After the test drive, I popped the engine open, saw three leaks. The VCG, OFHG, and Power steering reservoir were leaking. The one leaking the most was the OFHG as I saw new oil around it that area. The VCG had a lot of dirt build up around the gaskets in which I plan to clean and monitor. The Power Steering reservoir just probably needs a new o ring. I did notice the car didnt come with a belly pan though.

Anyway, I pointed all this out to the sales guy and was able to get the price down to 4.8OTD, originally was 5.4k OTD

What do you guys think?

Heres a link to the car

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5695141?ad_cid=2
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaeljethro View Post
Hey guys,

I checked out a used E91xi yesterday that a dealer had listed for 4.5k.

Specs: Has the project/xenon lights, has panoramic sunroof, tires are beefy, mirrors still power fold with no problems.

Test drove it, the airconditioning wasnt cold (salesperson said it just needed freon), the test drive was awesome. I love how much power it has and how smooth it was compared to my e46 wagon. During the testdrive I notice the sunroof was rattling (did a google search and saw you can put velcro stickys up there to stop it from rattling.

After the test drive, I popped the engine open, saw three leaks. The VCG, OFHG, and Power steering reservoir were leaking. The one leaking the most was the OFHG as I saw new oil around it that area. The VCG had a lot of dirt build up around the gaskets in which I plan to clean and monitor. The Power Steering reservoir just probably needs a new o ring. I did notice the car didnt come with a belly pan though.

Anyway, I pointed all this out to the sales guy and was able to get the price down to 4.8OTD, originally was 5.4k OTD

What do you guys think?

Heres a link to the car

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5695141?ad_cid=2
Just FYI, if AC needs to be recharged there is a leak somewhere. OFHG needs to be replaced asap. From the pictures it looks like it's missing the rear cargo cover (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_5917) that is extremely expensive and unobtainable on used market.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
asaeljethro
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
Just FYI, if AC needs to be recharged there is a leak somewhere. OFHG needs to be replaced asap. From the pictures it looks like it's missing the rear cargo cover (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_5917) that is extremely expensive and unobtainable on used market.
I dont really care for the rear cargo cover though.

didnt think about the AC having a leak, which is bad.

I guess I'll pass on this then.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

If the OFHG and VCG are leaking, I'd put money down the oil pan gasket is leaking too.

The PS reservoir is cheap and easy to replace. OFHG has plenty of DIYs. VCGs could be done if you are mechanically inclined.

However what you pointed out just screams "neglect". Walk away.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Mine is 2006 E90.

The thing about the VCG leak on my car was that one of the 20 aluminum bolts that holds the VC tight had broken. These bolts are fairly small and it was a bolt toward the rear passenger side that broke. I replaced the bolt and the VCG in 2014, and now I am noticing a leak again. I still need to investigate to see if its the same symptom (broken bolt).

My oil filter housing gasket is also leaking, been that way for a few year now (5?). I have the replacement gasket, and plan to do it myself.

Was in to the dealer last week for a recall repair, and they quoted me pricing for these two items:

VCG leak, replace gasket: $1446.36
OFHG leak, replace gasket, clean and prime: $809.97

So, I'll be saving quite a bit of money to do it myself.

Other items I notice, the A/C compressor moans when I engage the A/C - suspecting a new bearing or full replacement of the compressor - at least $600 DIY.

Coming up on 155,000 miles I am getting ready to redo the serpentine belt and tensioner/idler. $250?? thse days? I have already done this at 80,000 miles.

Would also like to do the starter and alternator.

Even with DIY on all of this, I am looking at over $2500 I think.
But that;s mostly because I prefer to use BMW parts when available.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

If you’re in this price range you’ll be hard pressed to find an e9x that doesnt exhibit some, of not, all of these issues.

All this gaskets leak on every car. Kind normal. Last owner probably got a quote on the AC ($500-$3500) and walked away bc of the other random leaks.

If the pan gasket is leaking - who cares?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
banglenot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique_Red View Post
Mine is 2006 E90.

The thing about the VCG leak on my car was that one of the 20 aluminum bolts that holds the VC tight had broken. These bolts are fairly small and it was a bolt toward the rear passenger side that broke. I replaced the bolt and the VCG in 2014, and now I am noticing a leak again. I still need to investigate to see if its the same symptom (broken bolt).

My oil filter housing gasket is also leaking, been that way for a few year now (5?). I have the replacement gasket, and plan to do it myself.

Was in to the dealer last week for a recall repair, and they quoted me pricing for these two items:

Other items I notice, the A/C compressor moans when I engage the A/C - suspecting a new bearing or full replacement of the compressor - at least $600 DIY.

Coming up on 155,000 miles I am getting ready to redo the serpentine belt and tensioner/idler. $250?? thse days? I have already done this at 80,000 miles.

VCG kit at FCP Euro (3 gaskets and bolts): $50 or so. 3 hrs or less
OFHG kit: $30 or so. 1-2 hrs
Pulley & bearing kit on ebay: $60 1 hr
Contitech belt/tensioner etc: $100. 1-2 hrs or less

Make sure you do the VCG bolts to 8NM + 90 deg rotation. Failure to do the 90 deg will result in very early leak.

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

If all it needs is Freon, why didn’t they do it let alone have someone detail the engine compartment? I’d remind the salesman how expensive those gasket replacements are at any shop whether you DIY or not. Why cut them any slack on pricing,especially when the bellypan and cargo cover is missing? You don’t need the cover if you never carry anything but you’ll miss it if you carry anything valuable and someone happens to notice.
      07-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, how long did you drive the car with the AC on and how hot was it outside? Was the car sitting in the sun when you took it out? The AC system in the E90 has never been stellar at cooling the car down quickly. If the car was sitting in the sun and you only drove it a few minutes, then the AC didn't have enough time to reach it max cooling performance. The only sure way to know if the AC system is an issue is to have it pressure tested. It's a rare issue, but E90s have been known to have leaky evaporators, which is an expensive fix.

Missing belly pan means either it was damaged and the owner decided not to replace it. OE BMW part is not $250. Or, it got left off by a shop when doing a repair. It's held on by 16 bolts; it doesn't come off easily.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique_Red View Post
Mine is 2006 E90.

The dealer quotes $1,400 for an OFHG because they price the N54 procedure, which requires removal of the intake manifold. The N52 does not need the manifold removed.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep

It was $1446 for the VCG.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #12
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
VCG kit at FCP Euro (3 gaskets and bolts): $50 or so. 3 hrs or less
OFHG kit: $30 or so. 1-2 hrs
Pulley & bearing kit on ebay: $60 1 hr
Contitech belt/tensioner etc: $100. 1-2 hrs or less

Make sure you do the VCG bolts to 8NM + 90 deg rotation. Failure to do the 90 deg will result in very early leak.

Do you have a link for the pulley/bearing you mentioned?

thanks!
Appreciate 0