E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Downgrade to 2007 Ford Focus for $10,000?

Closed Thread

06-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #45
Dawg Nuts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 E90

Garage List
2007 E90 335  [0.00]
2004 X5  [0.00]
You sound like an intelligent guy, but please do not settle for a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #46
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I'm really impressed with the way you're thinking at such a young age. You'll get a lot of opinions on here from people who's priorities and situations are obviously different than yours. Please take that into consideration when making your final decision. Mature, intelligent thinking will take you far in life. You're already on the right track. I won't offer an opinion because I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.
      06-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #47
jeffersonkim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Thanks all for your opinions and advice. Much noted and considered. I'm probably just going to wait until I get back to the States where there will be a much better buyer's market and also a much better used car market to choose from in terms of a used car to be used for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #48
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

two things....

1. Ford vs BMW? Where's common sense? Why don't you compare LV with Old Navy then? It's the premium in branding, image, and material. Even if you spend $20k on a focus...u won't get the same image. Enough said.

2. If you cannot make any financial sense about blowing that much into a car, perhaps you should really go back to a focus. It's mainly because you don't even know what to appreciate in a BMW...then you won't be able to tell the difference between a Focus with a Lambo. Might as well save the $10k....invest it somewhere and when you build up ur financials and appreciation for cars...then buy a more expensive cars. It's like a guy who knows nothing about photography and bought a SLR...go get a point and shoot camera...
      06-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #49
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

The 325i is much more powerful, well built, and handles much better I'm sure. If the best handling car in America is the Lincoln LS, and the E90 handles better than that, i think its safe to say the 325i will annihilate the car you're thinking in handling.

This being said, asking many of the members on here, may not help you. As you pointed out, many of us are car fanatics. We certainly use the car more than you do (only 2,500 miles in 6 months!), spend more time in it, get more out of it, and all in all give a priority to what car we drive. So, we won't be able to give you the answer that is best for you. I know this doesn't help much, but i think its true.

But, what does tell me that you may be better off downgrading, is the mere fact that you have driven the 325i for 6 months now. That is more than adequate time to assess the car and see how important it is to YOU. Apparently, even after driving it for 6 months, and only 2,500 miles, and presuming you will continue to use it in the limited capacity that it has been used in the past, you still don't really care about what car you're in, I say downgrade. Most of the people here would not ask this question, because most are fanatics about their cars. If they were to ask this question, or to consider downgrading, it would have been purely a money issue, something serious happened to them or in their life. For you though, its just a matter of preference and priority. Apparently, owning an E90 is neither much more of a preference or a priority. You just need some simple, stable transport. If this is the case, I would definitely downgrade, but I wouldn't necessarily downgrade to the Ford Focus.

Pin down a budget that you are comfortable spending (say 15k), and find out which car has the best resale value in this price range (if the focus has it, or if 15k for the focus is a steal (i dont' know), then go for the focus, otherwise considering something else). Or, if your stay is very short, consider leasing (you'll need to do some number crunching, comparing interest rates, how long you'll keep it, etc.) and see what you're better off doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim
Ok, I'm in an interesting situation. This is probably more of a problem of conscience and I was wondering what your opinion on all this was . . . or more specifically a question below.

I'm military here in Germany and bought a 2006 BMW 325i here, with no options except for the metallic grey paint, for about $27,600. I basically got graduation money from both my parents who have been divorced since I was a child and live in different states, and I had money saved up from college.

I've driven it about 2,500 miles over about the past 6 months. Yeah. . . I live that close to work.

So, here's the situation. Lately I've felt like I'm not feeling the vehicle out. God, it's luxurious, and has so many great features and all that. And everyone's impressed by me driving itbeing only 22, yadda ydaadd yadda. . . and it drives soooo smooth, and is a work of art, but I've come to the realization that I don't really care about luxury and all those frills right now, and I don't really care about the people being impressed with me driving a "nice" car. I'm thinking, maybe in 8 years, I may buy a 3-series, but right now it feels overkill . . .

I can buy a new sedan Ford Focus 2007 for $15,795 that'll have all the features I need (safety package, power windows, moon roof, etc.).

So. . . IF (and big IF) I somehow found a buyer to buy my car over here for $26,000 flat, then, I could potentially save $10,000 downgrading to the Ford Focus.

Money is not really an issue. I don't have any loans. I'm single. I live a very simple life. And I have a very promising future ahead (steady job, etc.) along with retirement, etc. blah. But then. . . I'm also conscience about spending money on things that really don't feel worth it to me. And spending $10,000 more for a car has been growing on my conscience as a "waste" of money.

Ok, here's the thing for all you fanatics out there!:

What is something the 2006 BMW 325i offers that the Ford Focus can never come close? How would you justify spending $10,000 more to "upgrade?" Would you be happy getting $10,000 in your bank account to downgrade your 2006 BMW 325i to a Ford Focus? Would you cry?

This is an issue I've been wrestling with lately. . . but I may be just stupid because I haven't even test driven the Ford Focus! It'll probably be like NIGHT AND DAY. Not including acceleration, etc. . . and the ride itself. Maybe because of the very little prolonged driving I've done, I just haven't realized the incredible COMFORT the BMW offers over the Ford over long distances. . . especially if I do road trips in the future when I get back into the states.

And maybe, it'll be better for me to just wait until I get back to the States in about 2 years, when I can resell the car for a better price, and buy a used Honda Civic with super low mileage which would be more "economically" smart in the end anyway. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh. So many little factors. . .but I'm thinking just waiting until I get back to the states may be the best idea.

Anyway, any of your thoughts would be great. Even if it's a "stop being dumb and enjoy your bimmer." I would appreciate it even more if you could add some more justification too, so that I can throw that into my thought flow.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #50
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timoth31
As a brief aside, when my wife and I thought about buying a home a few years ago a broker at Bellmarc told me the VA zero-down mortgage is far less valuable than one might think, because all the co-op boards want proof of 30-40% in the bank with your application. You can go condo, but that tends to cost more - or at least that was the case at the time.

On the other hand, you're very smart to sign up for the GI Bill. (I assume you're enlisted or went through OCS.)

Hard to know what to say from the car angle. What does the wife think?

Be well, stay safe and enjoy your time ashore.
Not true about the proof of having 30-40% in the bank in all my home buying. Your lender may tell you that but I have never experienced that and I have bought 3 homes with the program. They do require proof of employment, bank record and all debts. My last home was bought with just my income and we were just moving there so my wife was out of a job. The lender may require you to have that if you have less than good credit. That could be a possibility in that case. The mortgage is just as valuable using VA. VA is a guareentee that if something happens to the service member they will cover the loan. This also allows you to get in with no money down and avoiding PMI that could add hundreds to your house payment.
      06-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #51
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
I just moved into a new house with a VA loan. We had to show bank statements of our account activity, but I don't think they looked at how much we actually had in savings.
Exactly!
      06-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #52
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
noflash is right. Also, don't forget he doesn't have to pay sales tax either. And, since he is active duty, he won't have to pay the 2% Customs fees when he gets back to the US. So, basically he is getting a 325 for what most people stateside are paying out the door.
Not sure about that since I have a feeling that he didn't take a car over there. Don't know if the free car shipped home applies to those that buy one over in Germany without having to bring one over. I would assume it would be free but I have learned never to assume and expect the worse. It is the government we are talking about.
      06-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #53
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
Im 23, fresh outta college and just bought my 325. The way i looked at it was that I have the money to buy it now because i dont have to pay for a house, i dont have to support kids (and a wife), so i bought the car i wanted now because who knows, i may not be able to afford it down the road...
just like this guy. (except im only 21) enjoy it while you can. seems like you got a good deal anyway.

your situation kinda reminds me of myself when i was waiting for my car. but it seems like you deserve it. my parents are also divorced and i lived away from each of them during different times of my life so i say that the the e90 is just a consolation prize for my endurance during the rough times.

but again, i think you deserve it. keep it and enoy. dont feel bad about it cause you didnt buy your car to make other people jealous.
      06-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #54
deltron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
Im 23, fresh outta college and just bought my 325. The way i looked at it was that I have the money to buy it now because i dont have to pay for a house, i dont have to support kids (and a wife), so i bought the car i wanted now because who knows, i may not be able to afford it down the road...
Tell it on the mountain brother! I'm in the same spot, 25, who knows where you'll be 1-2-3 years from now so you might as well live it up when you can.
      06-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #55
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim
Money is not really an issue. I don't have any loans. I'm single. I live a very simple life. And I have a very promising future ahead (steady job, etc.) along with retirement, etc. blah. But then. . . I'm also conscience about spending money on things that really don't feel worth it to me. And spending $10,000 more for a car has been growing on my conscience as a "waste" of money.

Ok, here's the thing for all you fanatics out there!:

What is something the 2006 BMW 325i offers that the Ford Focus can never come close? How would you justify spending $10,000 more to "upgrade?" Would you be happy getting $10,000 in your bank account to downgrade your 2006 BMW 325i to a Ford Focus? Would you cry?

More power to you for recognizing that you're a simple guy with simple needs and a simple life, and that you don't "NEED" a fancy bling car even though you have the money for one. I say if you can find a buyer for your car, go ahead and sell it and get something simpler.

Personally I would have little interest in a BMW if it wasn't for my wife. She's a classy girl (snob), has high-class tastes (snob), likes to go to classy places (snob), wants to be driven around in a classy car (snob), and what can I say, it rubs off on me. Otherwise I'd probably be shopping for a Mazda 3s SP23 hatch 5MT right now, so I'm really a lot more like you.

I probably would have come around to BMWs sooner or later though. I'm tired of boring FWD Japanese cars and want something RWD with much better balance. The Lexus cars are way too small. The Infinitis all drink gas. The Mercedes are junk. Audis are either FWD or AWD (no RWD). And then there's BMW - excellent handling, decent reliability, and lively yet highly efficient engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #56
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

The question is: Are you going to enjoy $10K in the bank more than the E90. Its your choice. There are many ways to live a life. But life only comes once. So do what you like most.

Enjoy
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #57
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
You are an Officer in the Army so use your money wisely and invest smart. You have more than enough money to do so. Your monthly payment of $350 is not that bad compared to those that finance more. Be smart and invest.
      06-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #58
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoth31
Ah, read again. The obstacle isn't the bank, it's the co-op board. From the Douglas Elliman web site:

The amount of money that may be financed is determined by each cooperative. Some buildings ....
Ah, I misunderstood the term co-op board - I thought you were refering to the lender. Fortunatly my house didn't have a co-op board
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #59
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

this thread and others like it confuse me. why would you buy a car without thoroughly thinking it through (if you really want it)?

my feeling is if you having an extra 10K really matters to you (which it should at your age unless you've got a few 100K stashed away) you shouldn't have bought the car in the first place, but now that you have you're going to lose a significant percentage of the money that you're trying to get back by selling this early. Just enjoy the car and try to make more sound financial decisions in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #60
Martial14
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking

Funny, I'm currently driving a ford focus and looking to upgrade to a 3 seires. I'll trade with you straight up
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #61
DanielleS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine/Gray 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
I'm really impressed with the way you're thinking at such a young age. You'll get a lot of opinions on here from people who's priorities and situations are obviously different than yours. Please take that into consideration when making your final decision. Mature, intelligent thinking will take you far in life. You're already on the right track. I won't offer an opinion because I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.
I agree.

Reading this e-mail thread is fascinating. It's my perception that there are two broad "groups" of people who buy these cars: a younger bunch who don't have too many responsibilties and really enjoy having and driving the car and an older, more experienced group who also enjoy the car, but maybe took a less direct approach to obtaining this "luxury." I, myself, as a single person, have worked 25 years and am just now buying a 325. Sure, I could have bought one earlier, but my priorities were focused on establishing a career, travel, buying a home, setting aside retirement funds, etc., etc. Delayed gratification I guess. But I know I've worked hard for this car and will really enjoy it.

I agree with other posters: as long as you think through your decisions and look at them from various angles, you will do fine! (For this decision or any other.)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #62
andy
Sabaku SouSou
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic E90 320i

Garage List
This is interesting because I have a 320i E90 and a Mk2 Ford Focus hatch. I used to own a Mazda 3 (actually it was my wife's) and whenever I needed to drive it, it was like being demoted. I felt cheated because of the nasty plastics the harsh ride and it was darn scary to drive at relatively high speeds compared to the BMW. We traded the Mazda in for the Focus after a test drive at our local dealership (and after watching reviews of the Focus and other hatches in Top Gear). It's such a joy to drive that I oftentimes choose it over my E90 when I go out in the morning and drive to work (my wife doesnt mind because she often stays at home). I dare say that it's the closest thing to a BMW that I've driven that is not a BMW. The handling is sharp, ride is great, plastics are good quality, the turn signal and wiper stalks feel BMW-chunky, the doors shut with a satisfying 'thud', the boot is incredible (well, it is a hatch), although steering is a lot lighter, which is a bad thing if you're looking for a weighted feel like the BMW's. Of course power will be an issue if you're used to a 325i and like driving it hard. I suggest that you take the Focus out for a test drive to verify my observations before making a desicion. I'm 32 and I live in the Philippines where life is hard and a 320i costs $49,000.00. Let me say that I was only able to buy a car that expensive here and still live a comfortable life because of prudent financial desicions I made when I was younger. Play your cards right while you're young and you could be driving a brand new Ferrari in a few years time

Arctic 320i: Black Dakota Leather, Silver Trim MODS: OEM rear deck spoiler, chrome exhaust tip, window trim and grille, 8.5 x 19 CSL reps all around, Dunlop Le Mans 245/35/R19s, 10mm H&R spacers rear, OEM style front splitters, Bi-Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #63
powderhound
Powderhound
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

Keep the 325 - selling it now you will be hard pressed to get 26K cash for resale value. No reason for you not to have it. As was said earlier - drive it like it is meant to be here while you ahve the opportunity - try A81 from Wurzburg to Stuttgart on a sunday morning at about 7:00 or 7:30, see how fast she'll go... It IS a work of art...

'06 325xi - 6spd man - Prem. Pkg - Sports Pkg - Cld Weather - iDrive - Xenon - SAT R. - graphite / poplar / black
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #64
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
what's with the generalization? FYI, the European Ford Focus has received rave reviews for its handling and chasis. Don't knock on something that you haven't even driven before.

To the OP: looks like you've got a good head on your shoulder, you can't go wrong with either decision.
+1

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread