E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Calluhan's E92 335D | Restoring to Factory Fresh | NEW! Lowering Springs and wheels!

03-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Talking Calluhan's E92 335D | Restoring to Factory Fresh | NEW! Updated with new stuuuuf

Hi All

I bought my 1 owner FBMWSH 335D last October and I've been steadily restoring it to it's former glory.

This was how it looked when I bought it:

It was in good condition but had been used as a private company car so hadn't been looked after the way I would

So I set about a bit of instant preventative maintenance:

Out came the swirl flaps:

They were in poor condition so it was peace of mind removing them - and a very straight forward Job.

They had also been leaking:

Next was an EGR and Main Thermostat change:

The engine wasn't getting to temp so no DPF regenerations - this sorted the problem straight away along with a bottle of this:

Forte DPF cleaner simply works - cleared the DPF with a few clouds of black smoke and INPA showed exhaust pressure dropped right down after a good run.

Then an oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter change:

Impressed with the spec of the petronas oil for the price. Going to do 5000 mile changes but according to the blurb this is excellent low ash and soot formulation ideal for DPFs.

Next I replaced the gearbox sump/filter and oil and mechatronic sleeve with a genuine ZF kit.

Old sump - no bits on the magnets thankfully:

Mechatronic sleeve wasn't leaking but was part of the kit so I replaced anyway:

Along with new bolts:

Then it was time to improve the Alu trim:

To this:

With M stitched gaiters and an LCI style illuminated shifter:

Also fitted my TomTom 6000 using a proper mount:

Then it was time to refurbish the wheels. Only a few pics of these but took me a week, a few hours a day to do them. Preparation is key with these to get a good paint bond so no flaking:

Then it was time to replace that pesky red boost hose which had been leaking:

This was a bit of a pig of a job as space is tight - took the electric fan out for more access first:

Then the best thing I've done so far:

A DTUK CRD-t+ multi channel stage 2 tuning box.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago from Ebay - around half the retail price.

It replaced a single channel tuning box I had fitted and the difference is night and day. The grunt is simply amazing. It wants to spin the wheels in the first 3 gears and is so responsive. The torque is massive - 700Nm (more than the gearbox is rated for so Im careful) and 340Bhp.

I had an E39 M5 before and this feels almost as quick and much more nimble:

Finally, this evening I got around to resetting the gearbox adaptations in DIS/GT1 - should have done this months ago as changes are now so smooth in D and razor sharp in Sport mode - highly recommended.

Plenty more to come - stay tuned.......
Thanks for looking

Last edited by Calluhan; 05-02-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Blimey.... Fair play to you for tackling this yourself. Swirl flaps(and I've seen shed loads including failures)on the later cars do leak and do become weakened over time, though they are stronger than the earlier diesel versions, but a good call to whip the manifold off and remove the issue once and for all. They don't look in too bad a shape but the fact is they leak causes a mess as your pictures have illustrated and though the risk is less so with these later units there better out than in IMO.

The range of Forte products is something I'm well aware of I think they assists with containing problems cleaning injectors etc. though best way forward is to use decent fuel don't let the tank get too low and carryout regular oil changes all help reduce issues in later life.

Re the transmission service again top marks a few of the guys have tackled it on here. From your post it sounds like everything went smoothly, post the work as you've stated you're going to reset the gesrbox adaptations. As this along with the fluid/sump change makes it all the more worthwhile as the gearbox as adapted to running with the previous fluid/filter characteristics.

Interior wise again you've had a go.

As for the wheels looks from the photos like visually you e cracked it

Well done....
      03-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

LOL Blimey indeed Steve! I spanner fighter planes for a living so this isn't much of a challenge mate - I always research what I'm going to do first so few surprises thanks to sites like this (and posts like yours!) Trouble is, every time I get in to do something I always find a few other jobs to do - spent the entire day yesterday doing the boost hose because I found half a dozen other small jobs to do while I was in there. Still it was a beautiful day and my girl kept bringing me cups of tea! :-)

I had an idrive message about the DPF - bottle of Forte in the tank and message cleared. Did the thermostats the following week - so it works well as a short term fix.

The trans was straightforward with a digital spot thermometer and the ZF instructions - the old fluid was in need of replacement but not burnt.

Those flaps still had screws in them so not the latest sort - you can see that bits had come off them so I was well rid. Plus no leakage at all since. Happy days!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Very impressed you did all this yourself. Very nice!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Top work there, where did you get the lci style gear shifter? Looks great
      03-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Good work on all the maintenance, the car looks great, I've always loved the MV4 wheels

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Top work there, where did you get the lci style gear shifter? Looks great
It was an Ebay special Reece:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E90-E9...item1c3a3c61c8

Not cheap but very good quality and really improves the look of the interior I think
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Good work on all the maintenance, the car looks great, I've always loved the MV4 wheels
I love them! One has a small crack but no loss of air. Thought of replacing them but I prefer the look of them even over 313s.

Non run flat tyres next I think
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
LOL Blimey indeed Steve! I spanner fighter planes for a living so this isn't much of a challenge mate - I always research what I'm going to do first so few surprises thanks to sites like this (and posts like yours!) Trouble is, every time I get in to do something I always find a few other jobs to do - spent the entire day yesterday doing the boost hose because I found half a dozen other small jobs to do while I was in there. Still it was a beautiful day and my girl kept bringing me cups of tea! :-)

I had an idrive message about the DPF - bottle of Forte in the tank and message cleared. Did the thermostats the following week - so it works well as a short term fix.

The trans was straightforward with a digital spot thermometer and the ZF instructions - the old fluid was in need of replacement but not burnt.

Those flaps still had screws in them so not the latest sort - you can see that bits had come off them so I was well rid. Plus no leakage at all since. Happy days!
Interesting really what you have said about the flaps the later ones are more robust for sure but they still have issues therefore they are as you've rightly done being removed as they can break up due to carbonisation. Refreshing to hear your words on the subject but in the line of work I'm in I seethese every other day and the advise I give stands. Get them out. Preventions better than cure... as the cures a rebuild or replacement engine.

03-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Interesting really what you have said about the flaps the later ones are more robust for sure but they still have issues therefore they are as you've rightly done being removed as they can break up due to carbonisation. Refreshing to hear your words on the subject but in the line of work I'm in I seethese every other day and the advise I give stands. Get them out. Preventions better than cure... as the cures a rebuild or replacement engine.

Couldn't agree more!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So here is the DTUK box fitted:

As you can see the three maps are selectable from push buttons on the unit with -1 to -3 and +1 to +3 for each map giving the ability to fine tune - still doing this using my 'arse dyno'

As part of preventative maintenance I replaced the breather valve:

These are overlooked in the maintenance schedule but should be replaced every 30000 miles or so.

I fitted some Cree 40W LEDs to the angel eye rings. Unfortunately the headlights are pre-LCI xenons so the light pipe to the outer ing is a flawed design but I'm happy with them. They are very bright in DRL mode and dim when set to side lights or with headlights on:

Also I have fitted a Blackberry music gateway:

This is an elegant way to get streaming bluetooth music into the car for very little cost. I have my Galaxy Note autoplay music when connected to bluetooth audio so works every time I enter the car - totally hands free.
The quality wouldn't please an audiophile but it's more than good enough for me.

Fitted a couple of these to the underside of the boot to stop shopping bags and stuff moving around in the boot - they're excellent!:

Last edited by Calluhan; 03-23-2015 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

subscribed!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Really liking that DCT style shifter. Have you got a pic during the day?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #14
Yellow_Belly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D LCI

I was looking at the shifter for some time now, I really like how it illuminates when I first saw one, however to me and in my own opinion, I never took the plunge to buy it because the other lights come on the gear shroud as well.. to me thats a bit stupid, not sure if there is a cover or a part that covers it up though? great job on the car, looks awesome and clean
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Belly View Post
I was looking at the shifter for some time now, I really like how it illuminates when I first saw one, however to me and in my own opinion, I never took the plunge to buy it because the other lights come on the gear shroud as well.. to me thats a bit stupid, not sure if there is a cover or a part that covers it up though? great job on the car, looks awesome and clean
Im pretty sure you can get a different cover plate, the one which the 335i DCT uses.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Really liking that DCT style shifter. Have you got a pic during the day?
Here you go mate:

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #17
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Belly View Post
I thought the same mate. However, once fitted it really still looks oem. You can fit it and not connect the plug to the shift position connector so it doesn't light up on the car portion. I ended up reconnecting it as I prefer the look.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #18
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

did you wrap over the ashtray chrome piece? the line in the middle?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So I went out to my local Shell to fill the tank this morning. On the way back the rear of the car started to make a very loud groaning noise

With a head full of driveshaft and differential potential problems I nursed it home - it was pretty quiet below 30mph.

Got back on the drive - and all 5 bolts on the rear nearside wheel were loose!

Imagine my surprise and relief at the same time. Certain I had tightened them but I think it was the thin layer of paint left in the bolt hole that had caused the problem. Happy days!

Took the opportunity to have a little tidy up in there:

Last edited by Calluhan; 03-23-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #20
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
did you wrap over the ashtray chrome piece? the line in the middle?
I did mate. havent got around to carefully prising the chrome bit through yet
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
I did mate. havent got around to carefully prising the chrome bit through yet
im planning to do mine and have heard of people having issues getting the chrome piece off. is it hard to do or is there just some screws at each end and pull out?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
im planning to do mine and have heard of people having issues getting the chrome piece off. is it hard to do or is there just some screws at each end and pull out?
Not sure to be honest. Not in a rush to do it as the lid stays open most of the time as its the perfect place for my phone. Perhaps you could let me know how you get on?
Appreciate 0