E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Bill Jacobs BMW, Naperville IL

07-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Thumbs down Bill Jacobs BMW, Naperville IL

Will not purchase another vehicle from this dealer. Long story short, I bought my 335 pre-owned from them, not CPO but was assured by sales dept that the full factory warranty was intact. I wish I got this in writing. Turns out it wasn't and their quote to put my suspension right was about $2400.

They are not my local dealer, it just turns out they had the car with the options I was looking for. So when I had some odd noises coming from the front suspension I took it to my local dealer. Guess what? Warranty was void on suspension to due aftermarket stabilizers front and rear. Obviously they wouldn't warranty it, took it back to Bill Jacobs to give the opportunity to put right and salvage the relationship. Got the run around for a week or so, still haven't gotten a call back from the person there who assured me that the warranty was intact (other than my salesperson, who no longer works there) and in the end was basically told I'm SOL.

Lucky for them, after consideration it's not worth my time to sue. Parts are $300 and I get heavily discounted labor from our family friend/mechanic.

So while the legality of it all is questionable (speaking with lawyer who specializes in suing dealerships says he's seen cases like mine go either way, depends on the judge basically), I find it at least deceptive sales practices, and at most outright fraud.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

yeup their service department sucks too. My SA there never called me back after 3 weeks. Called him every monday for those 3 weeks. I thought maybe he was on vacation, so I called the main line and they said he had not been. I now go to Laurel in Westmont. Thats the good thing about being form the Chicago area. I leterally have about 7 BMW dealerships with in 40 miles of me. Hell 5 are probably with in 20. (I live in Lisle Il)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My SA was ok, would always call me back and let me know what was up. The Service Manager however was terrible. I had to actually drive there to talk to him, and believe me Deer Park to Naperville with 53, 290 and 355 all under construction is a PITA. I had to drive all the way there for him to tell me they aren't fixing it (would not return phone calls), but that they did find a torn boot. I had to ask him if that was under warranty, and he said yes. I then had to ask him if they fixed it, he looked surprised as if no one has ever asked to have something fixed under warranty while their car was in service. He kept the car another day and fixed it, at which point I had to make that dreaded drive again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
wazup773
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

oh that traffic sucks so bad I bet it took you over a hour to get there
Tiag E90 335i AT 19 Iforged TE16 DCI HKS SSQV Bov 35% tints with windshield RennArt Exhaust Matte Black Roof Custom CF front lip Lux 5.0 v1 radar Tinted tails Matte black grills CF Hood CF Trunk Matte black window trim Euphoria 6k interior leds Mtec license plate leds Scoops 8in w7 jb3 3in downpipes p3 gauge A&L: Great work, Great customer service, and Great prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
About 1.5 each way...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Wow, you got screwed. I bought a used car and took it to Bill Jacobs. They changed the power steering pump, oil/filter, replaced head-bolt , wiper blades and gave me a new convertible loaner, all under warranty and no hassles. I would definitely go back to them. For reasons I can't say, I will never get my car serviced at Laurel BMW.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Wow, you got screwed. I bought a used car and took it to Bill Jacobs. They changed the power steering pump, oil/filter, replaced head-bolt , wiper blades and gave me a new convertible loaner, all under warranty and no hassles. I would definitely go back to them.
Yea, I feel like by the time they told me all that and were dragging their feet about the CV boot, they knew they had lost me as a customer and were just trying to get me out of their hair (which doesn't make sense why they would mention the torn boot in the first place...)

It may have been a function of the people on staff at the different times, but I also perceived a notable difference in the way I was treated based on my appearance. While the sample size is small and not very "scientific," here is what I mean:

When I bought the car, the PO had painted the grill black and it was fading so they wrote up a "we owe" to put the grill back to stock and for floor mats they couldn't find. When I brought the car back after the stuff was in stock, I was working around the house and just went in my jeans and a t-shirt. I got there, had all my paperwork, my insurance ready for a loaner, and basically stood around for 15 min before my SA met with me to give me a hard time about the "we owe" (I was given a copy - the dealer had retained the original). I expressly mentioned the form when we initially say down, and about 5 min later he says "so how are you paying for this?" quite rudely. Maybe just having a bad day. After running around trying to obtain the dealer's copy, after about 30 min I was presented my loaner, in which they guy grumbled every time I pointed at a minor scuff for him to note on the paperwork. Overall unfriendly.

When I dropped the car off to have the sway bars looked at, as luck would have it, I was wearing a suit/tie. Didn't have to wait more than 2 min, my SA (different guy) was polite, understanding, and gave me a '10 335 coupe with like 4,000 miles on it for my loaner - the first one was a '08 328 sedan with like 30,000. This time the "walkaround" paperwork was already compete and accurate (such as, the little tow cap was missing and already marked on the sheet, etc)

I can't say for sure I was getting "preferential treatment" but it sure felt like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
ddigangi
'Murica
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
sorry about the bad experience broski :/

I blog at http://ddigangi.com
Appreciate 0