E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > E90 335d vs F10 535D

08-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #23
E90angeleyes
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I’ll pipe in an opinion having both owned a 2011 335d, tuned with sports package, driven many 2014-2016 535d and owning now a 550i....

Hands down the e90 is a more fun to drive, sharper handling, immediate car. If you prioritize fun to drive and driving satisfaction then the 335d is your car. The twin turbos and the engines immediately responsive nature, as well as buttoned down suspension, tossabilty, and smaller size make it a fantastic traffic dissection tool. The downside, it’s not as quiet, not as spacious, doesn’t ride as well as the f10. It’s like the puppy that always wants to please. I did mod my suspension to eliminate pot hole explosions and the bouncy nature of the stock e90 sport package,

The f10 is more like the ultimate wafting machine. It’s so much quieter, smoother, and a significantly nicer interior. It’s a totally different driving experience. If your life revolves around sitting in traffic, and lots of driving, the f10 is a much nicer place to be. But it’s downside is the car is big, harder to weave through traffic, gets wobbly at the limit and generally says are you sure you want to do this.. it’s is not a performance car, it’s the first of the new generation of non sporty bmws. On the plus side they got the emissions to be reliable. But there are lots of,fuel pump blow ups. Adaptive cruise control takes the stress out of inconsistent drivers and slow stop and go traffic. Use it a lot.

A deleted 335d engine wise is more reliable than a deleted 535d. Stock for stock on the Dyno the 335/535d have about the same power, but the after market support is better for the 335. I am seeing big turbos now for the 535d, which means more peak power, but more lag and loss of low end response. Twin turbos is better, but more problematic and more expensive to upgrade.

Me I have a 550i xdrive, would love to have found a 535d, but after a year of searching could only find 2 cars that sold before I could snap them up with the options I wanted. Namely, adaptive cruise control, m-sport, luxury active seating, Harmon kardon, comfort access, dynamic handling package, and etc. easier to find a 550i with all of those features as most came pretty loaded, lots of stripo 535ds not many loaded ones.
Thank you for this response. So I guess my preference would be the 335 powertrain in the 535

The 5 is way more reasonable for me. I'm tall and I live and work in the Bay Area so the traffic is DRASTIC
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #24
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
Thecastle Can you please elaborate? What makes the 335d a more reliable deleted build than N57. I'll be going down this road soon. Thanks.
Its just an opinion, as the 335d doesn't have fuel pump problems and the N57 does and there are no current after market solutions for the fuel pump. Plus reading in the forums fuel pump failures are common and a big deal to fix, usually new lines and injectors as the pumps destructively fail spraying shrapnel into the fuel system. Where as with the M57 there are a lot more problem areas but the aftermarket has addressed all of them. Also in europe the M57 has a reputation for being reliable. Not powerstroke 7.3L reliable, but good if cared for 300K miles.

I would also saw that there are far fewer emissions problems on the N57 and the need for a delete is a lot less than the M57, which was more of an experiment... Based on my service advisor saying they've not had any emissions problems on the n57's and basically nothing appears in the forums about this issue. So less need to mod.

Personally I would have no issues with owning an N57. I went with an N63TU instead.

The F10 is not as fun to drive as the E90. But is nicer, and the interior materials are much better. So its a trade. I may get an N57 at some point. The V8 is much faster than the diesel, but the fuel economy is in the 18s for me (4 wheel drive), and the diesel I'd expect to be about 27-30. The 4wd (xdrive) are considered more desirable as they still have the old hydraulic steering instead of the numb electrical system in the rwd.

Last edited by Thecastle; 08-24-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90angeleyes View Post
Thank you for this response. So I guess my preference would be the 335 powertrain in the 535

The 5 is way more reasonable for me. I'm tall and I live and work in the Bay Area so the traffic is DRASTIC
yeah, I'd like an M550D xdrive myself, but one can only dream of the forbidden fruit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #26
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
Thecastle Can you please elaborate? What makes the 335d a more reliable deleted build than N57. I'll be going down this road soon. Thanks.
Its just an opinion, as the 335d doesn't have fuel pump problems and the N57 does and there are no current after market solutions for the fuel pump. Plus reading in the forums fuel pump failures are common and a big deal to fix, usually new lines and injectors as the pumps destructively fail spraying shrapnel into the fuel system. Where as with the M57 there are a lot more problem areas but the aftermarket has addressed all of them. Also in europe the M57 has a reputation for being reliable. Not powerstroke 7.3L reliable, but good if cared for 300K miles.

I would also saw that there are far fewer emissions problems on the N57 and the need for a delete is a lot less than the M57, which was more of an experiment... Based on my service advisor saying they've not had any emissions problems on the n57's and basically nothing appears in the forums about this issue. So less need to mod.

Personally I would have no issues with owning an N57. I went with an N63TU instead.

The F10 is not as fun to drive as the E90. But is nicer, and the interior materials are much better. So its a trade. I may get an N57 at some point. The V8 is much faster than the diesel, but the fuel economy is in the 18s for me (4 wheel drive), and the diesel I'd expect to be about 27-30. The 4wd (xdrive) are considered more desirable as they still have the old hydraulic steering instead of the numb electrical system in the rwd.
I can agree with some of this. There are a whole lot of different variations of the cp4 fuel pump, and almost all modern Diesel 2011+ engines use them. Some fail prematurely, some go 500k miles plus, but curiously enough BMW is not listed.

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-a...ilure-lawsuit/
feel

But in the hope of aftermarket, I feel like disaster prevention kits at least will alleviate our concerns and or a new type of pump. That being said, in the 35d world I haven't seen too many go bad, and the ones that do are imo being granny driven.

N57 vs M57

The N57's parts are actually cheaper, the injectors cost half the price and HB issues are so far non existent. Everything about the N57 besides the pump is more reliable, I have seen people go 100k miles without a single issue including emissions. Yes you gotta drop the tranny for timing chain but that's not even on the horizon anytime soon for me.

My 335d went R.I.P after someone turned into me on a posted do not turn while I was crossing the intersection, crunch, not fun (lucky the one who bought it at auction). First vehicle I test drove was the 535d Base. Honestly I wasn't happy, while it was still a quality vehicle it felt very mushy and disconnected. Weeks later my dealer called me about the 35d. I am beyond impressed by the way this thing drives and options it came with. DHP is unbelievable, even compared to the new model X5 I would still choose the f-15. My f15 handles better than my 335d, believe it or not.

All in all it's a pick your poison game. The 335d is a platform with a lot of aftermarket stuff, can be turned into a true sleeper. My 35d is everything in between, I still get 28-35mpg and the ride is absolutely remarkable, I will be going with DUDMD when I'm ready!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I have a base 535d which was the LCI version of the f10 in North America. It has a much appreciated improvement in steering feel from the earlier f10 and mine being a 2016 model has the sport transmission as standard as well as 18 inch wheels. The handling is basic BMW as in an E30 318is, not a modern concept like "flat" cornering and stiff suspension favored today. Feel and ride are very dependent on tire inflation pressure and mine feels better at slightly higher than suggested pressures on Continental SSR run-flats. To be honest, the car "settled in" around 40,000 miles and drives beautifully.
Appreciate 0