E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Replacing run flats

04-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320 d M Sport coupe

Replacing run flats

Hello guys not strictly sure of whether I'm posting in the right place, but here goes.
I have a 320d coupe with 19" 225m wheels.
If I swap out the rf tyres for non run flats, what load ratings should I look for?
I understand the tyre sizes are the same, however, I have had contradictory advice on load ratings, even to the point of being told not to do it (by a very well known online tyre dealer), also, if there are any other potential "issues" I would be grateful if you could advise.

Regards,

Richard.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Search.

Millions of threads on here.

You just have to type and read
      04-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Igor
England
Rep
Drives: BMW e46

I think load index its 88 (same like rf).There is no potentail issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardoe92 View Post
even to the point of being told not to do it (by a very well known online tyre dealer)
Could only be that well known idiot who picks up the phone @ Camskill,it's time they put him out in the yard with a broom!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Igor
England
Rep
Drives: BMW e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Could only be that well known idiot who picks up the phone @ Camskill,it's time they put him out in the yard with a broom!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

With regards load ratings, I'd read to replace with XL tyres so that's what I did a couple of weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever.
Before, the run flats on my 18s were 88 and 90. I changed to Good Year asymmetric 2 non run flat with 92 and 94. The reason being is is didn't what to lose the turn-in so went for the stiffer side wall higher load tyre. Result is no difference at all with the steering - just a better all round drive. Although no idea what it would be like fitting non run flats with lower load ratings.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your replies lads, after a quick search /look around on line it appears that using XL tyres with = or higher load ratings will do the trick.
Now just gotta save the pennies!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
With regards load ratings, I'd read to replace with XL tyres so that's what I did a couple of weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever.
Before, the run flats on my 18s were 88 and 90. I changed to Good Year asymmetric 2 non run flat with 92 and 94. The reason being is is didn't what to lose the turn-in so went for the stiffer side wall higher load tyre. Result is no difference at all with the steering - just a better all round drive. Although no idea what it would be like fitting non run flats with lower load ratings.
Cheers mate, you confirm that the way I had read it was correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The slightly higher load rating bears no resemblance to the god-awful rock hard side walls of the run flats so don't be concerned you will end up with as stiff side walls as run flats. Not at all. Even with the slightly higher load rating the ride is MUCH more comfortable and the annoying skipping you get when going over pot holes is gone.
Also, you can actually get steering feel back again, just like every other car that does not have run flats fitted.

You can see why BMW dont want to ruin the handling experience of the M3, M5 etc... by fitting non run flats as standard. By doing this, they are already half way to making a great handling car.
Appreciate 0