E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > The dreaded rough idle!

10-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Mikeragu
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

The dreaded rough idle!

Good afternoon my fellow e90 owners!!

I have the dreaded rough idle on my stock 07 328xi..

I changed the Vanos solenoids, plugs, coils, air filter. Still have the damn rough idle! idle. My car was throwing the damn P052B code. I reset it, it never came back. Now my question is for those who have experience with this issue. Is it the cam sensor or a vacuum leak?! The car hasn't thrown a code since I reset it. Good news the sensor is covered under my warranty. Bad news a vacuum leak isn't. Check the video out let know what you guys think! and yes the rough idle was there prior to changing the vanos solenoids.

Last edited by Mikeragu; 10-21-2018 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: video link
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Get yourself a BMW scan tool and read the BMW-specific codes as they'll likely be able to help you more than the generic OBD-II "P" codes. You'll get much more detail. With regards to any cam/timing codes, the BMW-specific DME codes will tell you specifically what sensor (intake or exhaust cam sensor, or VANOS solenoid) is causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Get yourself a BMW scan tool and read the BMW-specific codes as they'll likely be able to help you more than the generic OBD-II "P" codes. You'll get much more detail. With regards to any cam/timing codes, the BMW-specific DME codes will tell you specifically what sensor (intake or exhaust cam sensor, or VANOS solenoid) is causing the issue.
Thanks for your reply, I changed the camshaft intake sensor today along with the mass air flow sensor. Idle got a little better but now it's throwing the P00BC code as it was with the old mass air flow sensor. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
Mikeragu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Also I switched the plug on the vanos by accident when I put them back so now that code is gone
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
WagonDragonE90
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi SportWagon

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeragu View Post
Thanks for your reply, I changed the camshaft intake sensor today along with the mass air flow sensor. Idle got a little better but now it's throwing the P00BC code as it was with the old mass air flow sensor. Any thoughts?
Any resolution on this?

I just replaced my valve cover gasket during a valvetronic range sensor replacement and now I am getting the P00BC code as well.
Appreciate 0