E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit by Patrys =-

04-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #67
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
Ble ble ble...

No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes
Probably not a great response as a vendor if you are trying to sell stuff to enthusiasts here.

I found his questions interesting and valuable and mocking him does not exactly impart a feel good situation as you then ask people to pay you to modify their $60K+ plus investment. Sounds like you have an interesting product at an interesting time and your audience drawn here include those who like details.
      04-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #68
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Probably not a great response as a vendor if you are trying to sell stuff to enthusiasts here.

I found his questions interesting and valuable and mocking him does not exactly impart a feel good situation as you then ask people to pay you to modify their $60K+ plus investment. Sounds like you have an interesting product at an interesting time and your audience drawn here include those who like details.
Probably you are right some people might not like my comment.

In post #43 in this thread I said I would not provide more technical info just then.
I asked people to respect that, because I had obvious reasons for that.

I have confirmed a number of times this is an OEM solution.

If jphughan does not trust me as a vendor and wants to prove with his speculations that this might be as he called it a "frankenbuild" this is his right,
but I do not like it.

I know jphughan would like me to post a DIY. If he starts paying my vendor fees and my bills I will do it.

I thought people would be happy to know that the 6NR can be retrofitted and that it does not require the hardware BMW cannot even offer now, but I guess I was wrong.
There are always people who want everything for free and they want it now!

I should have learnt already...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #69
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
If jphughan does not trust me as a vendor and wants to prove with his speculations that this might be as he called it a "frankenbuild" this is his right,
but I do not like it.
It has nothing to do with trust. At no point have I said I don't believe what you're saying -- I'm saying that in my opinion you're not saying enough. And as far as my speculation, as I said my two main hobbies are technology and cars, so until actual details are posted by you or somebody else, then people who are technically curious in the relevant fields will speculate. It's their nature and I'm sure I'm one of many on this forum, and in fact I would imagine that this technical curiosity is exactly what helped you become a skilled coder/modder.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #70
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It has nothing to do with trust. At no point have I said I don't believe what you're saying -- I'm saying that in my opinion you're not saying enough. And as far as my speculation, as I said my two main hobbies are technology and cars, so until actual details are posted by you or somebody else, then people who are technically curious in the relevant fields will speculate. It's their nature and I'm sure I'm one of many on this forum, and in fact I would imagine that this technical curiosity is exactly what helped you become a skilled coder/modder.
Understood.
But I told you I had my own reasons not to give more details just then and I asked you and other people to respect that.
Those reasons are obvious I guess.

Why don't you create your own thread where you could post your speculations about a frankenbuild or an OEM solution or anything you want.
I have no problem that you post in my thread and ask questions but when I told you once and then again that I could not tell you more why didn't you stop or just do your own research and come back to the forum and create your own DIY in glory.

You do not have to post your speculations here trying to show people that most probably my OEM solution is not really OEM, because you cannot understand it.

I will not comment on your or any other similar post anymore in this thread.
Those who understand me do not need more explanation and those who still do not agree with me will not change their mind anyway...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #71
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I am thrilled that Patryk offers these products and I greatly apprecitate it. Having worked with him I can verify he is legitimate and if he says something he means it. I also am into technology and cars and computers, but I respect his business. Why should he share his ideas, so someone could steal them and market it for themselves. Just let it go!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #72
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Its funny how all these questions are coming from guys that already have 6NR and just want the ipod out/video feature I guess you dont want to wait until Bmw releases their snap-in adapter in the summer. This retrofit was not aim at you guys that already have 6NR... The fact that he came up with a way to implement the Plugin feature before it became available its a major achivement for those that are looking to retrofit 6NR and be able to have all the features from the get go.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #73
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Fair enough, I look forward to the full technical details sometime in the future. In the meantime, I would appreciate confirmation that:

1. Any normal iPod dock to USB cable can be used, i.e. this doesn't require a cable with custom pin mappings between the dock connector and the USB port (since that cable isn't a BMW part, I thought you might use something like this and still be able to claim 100% BMW parts are being used).

2. There is no splicing or tapping of wires required, or any other arguably destructive procedure.

3. The 100% OEM parts being used are 100% unmodified except for software reconfiguration, i.e. not physically reconfigured, rewired, or otherwise taken apart or altered into some different configuration.
Quote:
Understood.
But I told you I had my own reasons not to give more details just then and I asked you and other people to respect that.
Those reasons are obvious I guess.

Why don't you create your own thread where you could post your speculations about a frankenbuild or an OEM solution or anything you want.
I have no problem that you post in my thread and ask questions but when I told you once and then again that I could not tell you more why didn't you stop or just do your own research and come back to the forum and create your own DIY in glory.

You do not have to post your speculations here trying to show people that most probably my OEM solution is not really OEM, because you cannot understand it.

I will not comment on your or any other similar post anymore in this thread.
Those who understand me do not need more explanation and those who still do not agree with me will not change their mind anyway...
Patrys - I go back to jphughan's post quoted above. He clearly agreed to wait on technical details and didn't expect any now. He did ask three SIMPLE questions that should not reveal any "technical details" unless the details related to less than a true OEM retrofit.

A simple answer to these three questions would have eased my mind and made me consider the retrofit, since I have all the required parts including Smart Phone integration but don't have 6NR since my car was build in late 2010.

The responses you have given were very surprising coming from a Vendor. The fact that you still refuse to answer these simple questions has put doubt in my mind. So I believe you are right "those who still do not agree with me will not change their mind anyway..." but it was all your doing, not mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #74
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Patrys - I go back to jphughan's post quoted above. He clearly agreed to wait on technical details and didn't expect any now. He did ask three SIMPLE questions that should not reveal any "technical details" unless the details related to less than a true OEM retrofit.

A simple answer to these three questions would have eased my mind and made me consider the retrofit, since I have all the required parts including Smart Phone integration but don't have 6NR since my car was build in late 2010.

The responses you have given were very surprising coming from a Vendor. The fact that you still refuse to answer these simple questions has put doubt in my mind. So I believe you are right "those who still do not agree with me will not change their mind anyway..." but it was all your doing, not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys
I can see you are very interested in technical details of our solution, but we are not giving any further info on this except the fact that all parts are OEM and it works great.
Quote:
The hardware is all OEM and will be installed by our installers as a part of the group buy:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513645
Quote:
You will be surprised how OEM they are
Just wait a bit and you will see some first reviews...

The BMW implementation of the 6NR includes the new base plate and snap-in adapter, but we found a way to enable all 6NR features without those parts using different OEM parts
Quote:
No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes
Quote:
I have confirmed a number of times this is an OEM solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #75
kickdown
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA

OK Patrys is offering something that even BMW can't offer now. Why are you atacking the guy and asking about his know-how??? Nobody would give him a credit about his time and research, testing and so on. OK everybody wants it for free and at one point somebody would find out the way...but respect the person and his business. He offers something, stands behind his name and services and gives waranty. Why is all that negativism??? If you want to do it yourself, try by yourself and share your experience with the others, we would appreciate it!!! But really give him a break The guy is nice and offers support to everybody, ofcourse he deserves payment for his work. If you want the feature, pay for it. And if you want to help the others after you pay, start reverse engeneering and solve mistery!!!
But again respect him, don't hate him If it wasn't he the CIC retrofit would be a feature, that wouldn't be available for a very long time in feature. Only the russians would have solve it, but it would have taken months to understand it here and make it work as it should.
And again:
Don't hate Patryk, respect him
Bulgarian Forum: You ask a question...5 people starts explaining you how dumb you are, for asking such a stupid question!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #76
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't see why this is sooooooooo hard for you to just give a straight answer without skating around the questions. In my mind you are STILL not answering the simple questions. Well I guess you did answer #2 in post #62 but what about the rest. Something as simply as this would have worked, without causing unneeded animosity with your potential customers.

#1 - Yes, you can use a standard iPhone USB cable.
#2 - Your words not mine from post #62: "No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes "
#3 - Yes, all 100% OEM parts without physical modifications to the parts. I.E. Plug & play, no re-configuring of the OEM pinouts.

Would that have been that hard?
Instead you antagonize your potential customers, I just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #77
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see why this is sooooooooo hard for you to just give a straight answer without skating around the questions. In my mine you are STILL not answering the simple questions. Well I guess you did answer #2 in post #62 but what about the rest. Something as simply as this would have worked, without causing unneeded animosity with your potential customers.

#1 - Yes, you can use a standard iPhone USB cable.
#2 - Your words not mine from post #62: "No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes "
#3 - Yes, all 100% OEM parts without physical modifications to the parts. I.E. Plug & play, no re-configuring of the OEM pinouts.

Would that have been that hard?
Instead you antagonize your potential customers, I just don't get it.
Exactly what I was about to say. Patrys, if somebody points out that you still haven't answered 3 simple questions, posting a reply that contains nothing but things you've already said doesn't go anywhere toward answering the question; you may as well not have responded at all.

That said, the more I think about this the more I feel that my proposed solution or something very close to it has to be how it's working. A USB port only gives you 4 pins to work with. 2 handle USB data and 1 handles power, so unless you'd be willing to break USB data or charging (which it doesn't sound like this does and likely wouldn't be acceptable to buyers), the only pin left you could use to carry a video signal would be the ground pin. As I mentioned before, it's all speculation on my part, but there also aren't that many options. The only other possibility I could think of would involve software hacking on both the iPhone and iDrive to have the iPhone send out the video as an unrendered, undecoded USB data stream and have the iDrive render it rather than just display it, but that would be FAR more complicated and prone to breaking if it was even possible at all.

I still don't see the need for all the secrecy. Even with these details known, rewiring and coding isn't for the faint of heart so I don't see the need to worry that your whole business is at risk here. Plenty of people would rather pay you to do this than do it themselves -- some of us just want to know what's happening, like the fact that this implementation gives you no electrical grounding when it should have 2 grounds, one for USB and one for video.

And Sherlock Holmes was practically always right.

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2011 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #78
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickdown View Post
OK Patrys is offering something that even BMW can't offer now. Why are you atacking the guy and asking about his know-how??? Nobody would give him a credit about his time and research, testing and so on. OK everybody wants it for free and at one point somebody would find out the way...but respect the person and his business. He offers something, stands behind his name and services and gives waranty. Why is all that negativism??? If you want to do it yourself, try by yourself and share your experience with the others, we would appreciate it!!! But really give him a break The guy is nice and offers support to everybody, ofcourse he deserves payment for his work. If you want the feature, pay for it. And if you want to help the others after you pay, start reverse engeneering and solve mistery!!!
But again respect him, don't hate him If it wasn't he the CIC retrofit would be a feature, that wouldn't be available for a very long time in feature. Only the russians would have solve it, but it would have taken months to understand it here and make it work as it should.
And again:
Don't hate Patryk, respect him
I do not intend to attach him and I do not expect something for free. I simply want to know that I am getting a true OEM Plug & Play solution.

The three simple questions asked in no way give away his secret or this business, but they will assure me that someone isn't hacking on my $50K+ car.

I have all the respect in the world for someone that can figure this out and come to market with it before the OEM has even done this. Although I lose respect for the person / vendor when they act in a way that is not professional, straightforward and honest. is given where it is received. I have all the reason to respect him and his work but his latest actions do not seem to match the level of respect that he seems to deserve.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #79
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly what I was about to say. Patrys, if somebody points out that you still haven't answered 3 simple questions, posting a reply that contains nothing but things you've already said doesn't go anywhere toward answering the question; you may as well not have responded at all.

That said, the more I think about this the more I've come to the conclusion that my proposed solution has to be how it's working. A USB port only gives you 4 pins to work with. 2 handle USB data and 1 handles power, so unless you'd be willing to break USB data or charging (which it doesn't sound like this does and likely wouldn't be acceptable to buyers), the only pin left you could use to carry a video signal would be the ground pin. As I mentioned before, it's all speculation on my part, but there also aren't that many options. The only other possibility I could think of would involve software hacking on both the iPhone and iDrive to have the iPhone send out the video as an unrendered, undecoded USB data stream and have the iDrive render it rather than just display it, but that would be FAR more complicated and prone to breaking if it was even possible at all.

I still don't see the need for all the secrecy. Even with these details known, rewiring and coding isn't for the faint of heart so I don't see the need to worry that your whole business is at risk here. Plenty of people would rather pay you to do this than do it themselves -- some of us just want to know what's happening, like the fact that this implementation gives you no electrical grounding when it should have 2 grounds, one for USB and one for video.

And Sherlock Holmes was practically always right.
I agree with paragraph one but after my response may surprise you.

Basically I think the rest of it might just need it's own thread. If I were the vendor I could see where he is getting pissed. Further dissection of his methods does seem to be digging for a free solution. You and he agreed that will not happen at this point so it's probably time to let it go.

Trust me I do understand your curiosity as I'm in a technical field too, but stay true to your word and wait for the technical details. Simply getting confirmation of a 100% OEM Plug & Play install is completely different. I hope you understand.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #80
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

FYI-It looks like you guys also fail to understand that to get 6nr your CIC firmware will need to be update it by a special tool which is why we doing the 4 city group buy. In another words this more complex than simple coding. So for those that are interested have a limited time to make up your mind. If you decide you want to do later down the road you will have to send your CIC to Patryk for the update. Had to do that myself when I retrofitted the COMBOX.

I'm pretty sure most of you guys know that he's not the only vendor on the forum offering the 6nr( with competitor you have to ship your CIC and combox). So why in the hell would he post critical info about the way he figured out to have the plugin feature. Some of you guys don't have no common sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #81
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trust me I do understand your curiosity as I'm in a technical field too, but stay true to your word and wait for the technical details. Simply getting confirmation of a 100% OEM Plug & Play install is completely different. I hope you understand.
I do understand and that's a very good point. It did originally start out as pure curiosity and just talking about these things out of interest (this is the technical section, after all), but after Patrys' responses and non-responses it became more a matter of concern for what was going on. I know I won't be buying this retrofit since I don't need it, but the reason I posted my questions and write-up was to give pause to others who might be considering the retrofit in case it affected their decision, and at least in your case it seems to have done just that. But it was never about digging for a free solution; if I wanted the retrofit and were ok with this implementation method (assuming I'm correct), I would still prefer to pay Patrys than attempt all of that myself, which is why I don't see why the details need to be so closely guarded. It seems that in our cases, we both become MORE inclined to buy something when there's transparency, not less.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #82
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

The first installations of the 100% OEM 6NR Retrofit kit for the Kearny/NJ Group Buy will begin in around 7-10 days

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #83
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

Confused about all the hate

I assume the 6NR is just making the config ACTIVE for USB ports. You found a way to just tell it to make 6NR active for all USB1,2 etc.

One question though, you state OEM hardware but also just iPhone cable, which is it. software only solution and/or optional OEM equipment.

Quote:
The first installations of the 100% OEM 6NR Retrofit kit for the Kearny/NJ Group Buy will begin in around 7-10 days

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #84
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I cant wait for this!!!!
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #85
rayoflight82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i XDrive

I'm not sure what the difference is between iDrive and Connected Drive...
I have iDrive, but it sounds like Connected Drive gives you access to the internet?? Is there a way to upgrade my system, or even update it via a disk???

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #86
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight82 View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is between iDrive and Connected Drive...
I have iDrive, but it sounds like Connected Drive gives you access to the internet?? Is there a way to upgrade my system, or even update it via a disk???

Thanks!
If you send me your VIN I will tell you want you need to have the Internet and/or ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #87
rayoflight82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i XDrive

Sent you a PM!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #88
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

I think its subjective

The "secret" is not that hard to find. You can dig and find the solution but you will find that enabling features and this specific feature of 6NR at the moment, that the information may be hard to come by right now.

Also this guy seems to be offering the solutions to many different issues of different cars with mix and match features and has done all the homework on what parts need to be ordered and how it should be coded either through trial and error or if he has some other specific experience.

For me its a question of cost. If the cost is to high, then I'll wait for BMW to release it as an update which I'm hoping or I will get what is needed and do a DIY software update.

Sent my VIN but I never got a answer on how much for what I needed.

Quote:
I do understand and that's a very good point. It did originally start out as pure curiosity and just talking about these things out of interest (this is the technical section, after all), but after Patrys' responses and non-responses it became more a matter of concern for what was going on. I know I won't be buying this retrofit since I don't need it, but the reason I posted my questions and write-up was to give pause to others who might be considering the retrofit in case it affected their decision, and at least in your case it seems to have done just that. But it was never about digging for a free solution; if I wanted the retrofit and were ok with this implementation method (assuming I'm correct), I would still prefer to pay Patrys than attempt all of that myself, which is why I don't see why the details need to be so closely guarded. It seems that in our cases, we both become MORE inclined to buy something when there's transparency, not less.
Appreciate 0