E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= Important Notice on the 6NR ConnectedDrive =-

10-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Patryk, have you been able to confirm this with the latest software from BMW, or are you still researching what BMW plans to do?
I know what they did and it's confirmed that the activation code is needed to enable the 6NR for the latest software version.
We still do not know if BMW will sell the codes for cars that do not meet the official 6NR requirements.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
So here is something interesting. My July build 2011 e92 coupe was spec'ed with the 6NR option. I recent went in to the dealer to have them troubleshoot an issue with the iPhone snap-in adapter. They ended up replacing the combox (didn't fix the problem but unrelated) and had to reprogram the car. In doing this it apparently removes the 6NR option. My SA advised me this would happen and it is a known problem. So it seems it is not just those who have added 6NR aftermarket, those with it stock are getting it deleted too.
That's all correct, but for your car and all other cars with the factory installed 6NR option the activation code is automatically generated by BMW and your dealership should be able to reactivate it without any problems.
At least we can do it, so I would be surprised if your dealership could not do it
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #25
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Good to know. I will have to ask my SA about that when (if) I get my car back. So you say they should be able to generate the activation code there. Where would this activation code be input to get the 6NR option working again? Is it in the car or something to do with their equipment?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Good to know. I will have to ask my SA about that when (if) I get my car back. So you say they must be able to generate the activation code there. Where would this activation code be input to get the 6NR option working again? Is it in the car or something to do with their equipment?
Fixed.

In the worst case, they cannot generate the code because BMW has not setup the generation software in their system yet. In the best case, your dealer has not kept up informed with the BMW bulletins for this matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I got the car back today and I still don't have BMW Apps. The shop foreman showed me the service bulletin that states this is a known issue with the current software for the Combox. He said that the BMW Apps functionality won't be restored until the next revision of the software due out in "a couple months". Unfortunately I didn't get a copy of the bulletin so I can't reference the number.

So they have now managed to remove an option I paid extra for when I got the car!! I am not very happy about this and have written an email to BMWNA expressing this. We shall see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #28
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Well I got the car back today and I still don't have BMW Apps. The shop foreman showed me the service bulletin that states this is a known issue with the current software for the Combox. He said that the BMW Apps functionality won't be restored until the next revision of the software due out in "a couple months". Unfortunately I didn't get a copy of the bulletin so I can't reference the number.

So they have now managed to remove an option I paid extra for when I got the car!! I am not very happy about this and have written an email to BMWNA expressing this. We shall see what they say.
Unbelievable!
They introduced the activation codes for the 6NR, but did not test it well enough to make sure their customers with factory installed 6NR would not have issues after the software update.

The activation code for your car is not a problem. The cars that came with the 6NR have this code automatically generated in the BMW system.
We can get this code for your car and load it into your CIC, but it seems the problem is somewhere else. I will try to find this bulletin when I have a bit of time...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #29
dakman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Wow, intently following this thread. Patrys, thanks for the PM. I'm waiting to see how this all plays out with BMW before taking the leap to get this great upgrade.

I took my car to the BMW service dept yesterday and I asked my SA about adding BMW apps, my SA is the assistance manager of service and he stated that, BMW will not allow them to add BMW Apps. :-( Not sure if this is going to be the official BMW stance or just a lack of knowledge on the BMW service side. Patrys, thanks for chasing this down.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well BMWNA was no help. Here is thair email response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2011 BMW 335xi. I was sorry to read of your concerns.

Unfortunately, we do not have any technical information at this location. Therefore, we do not have the ability to advise you in a technical matter via e-mail. All technical information has been allocated for our service and parts departments at the dealerships. They have the resources to answer your inquiry and address your issues. Please contact your service manager for further technical assistance and support. A list of our authorized BMW centers categorized by name, state or ZIP Code can be found on our website at: www.bmwusa.com, under “Dealer Locator.”

The satisfaction of our BMW customers is very important to us. Your e-mail gives essential information that will help us provide our customers with the high level of service they expect and deserve. Please be assured, we work on a continual basis to improve our services.

For any non-technical inquiries, you can contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Andrea Piotrowski
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
Looks like I am at the mercy of the dealer and whenever BMW gets the new software out. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a previous version of the software loaded until they can get their $#!t together? BMW Apps worked perfectly fine before this fiasco.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #31
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Well BMWNA was no help. Here is thair email response:

Looks like I am at the mercy of the dealer and whenever BMW gets the new software out. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a previous version of the software loaded until they can get their $#!t together? BMW Apps worked perfectly fine before this fiasco.
The software can't be downgraded
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Is there any way to find out if you can escalate this issue through the "technical" chain of command? Surely there is some sort of factory/regional rep from BMW that handles warranty/service problems that customers want to push beyond the dealer level? I'm sorry you're the guinea pig for this situation, I hope it gets solved soon. Know any good attorneys?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #33
newjack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M COMP

I brought my 2011 BMW 135i (Oct 11 build date) in for state inspection today, they said there was a recall on my car that involved reprogramming. They told me it's a JB recall and it has to do with the lights in the car. I told them I don't have 2 hours to wait so they made an appointment for me at then end of the month.
Does anyone have details on this recall? Do you think this update will delete my 6NR coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
caesarp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive space gray/saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
If your car is produced after March 2011, and you have the required options for 6NR: option 609 with CIC high, option 644 or option 633, option 6VC, option 6NF then it is possible to activate 6NR at the dealer. This however is once the dealer updates their programming software or knows how to do this.

609: Navigation
644: Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth or
633: Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics
6VC: Combox
6NF: SmartPhone Integration

However some original 6NR material notes (which assumes Combox):

I have 609, 639(which I believe is 633), 6VC and 6FL. So I wonder if you could still do 6NR without 6NF.
What if your car was produced in March 2011 (not AFTER March 2011).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #35
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
What if your car was produced in March 2011 (not AFTER March 2011).
If this is the 3-series then the March production counts in.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #36
Dicx5
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjack View Post
I brought my 2011 BMW 135i (Oct 11 build date) in for state inspection today, they said there was a recall on my car that involved reprogramming. They told me it's a JB recall and it has to do with the lights in the car. I told them I don't have 2 hours to wait so they made an appointment for me at then end of the month.
Does anyone have details on this recall? Do you think this update will delete my 6NR coding?

I don't think so if the dealer has updated his equipment over the weekend.
Mine did, and it reads now 44.100.
With this update the system is asking and retrieving the codes, but not in my case.
I have an modified system and they will try to have the codes send again from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #37
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR.E92

This happened to me!
waiting on dealer to find a solution.
if anyone gets an update on what the dealer's fix is for those who had it as a factory option please advise.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #38
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The dealer contacted me to set up an appointment to update my software. I will be bringing it in on the 6th for the update. I need them to figure out why my bluetooth is not working too (does this ever end?) so I needed a loaner car.

I really hope that this fixes the issue and I can FINALLY have a fully functional car for once...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #39
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
The dealer contacted me to set up an appointment to update my software. I will be bringing it in on the 6th for the update. I need them to figure out why my bluetooth is not working too (does this ever end?) so I needed a loaner car.

I really hope that this fixes the issue and I can FINALLY have a fully functional car for once...
Did the dealer confirm that the new software has a fix for your BMW Apps? Please share the info with us if it does - several (including yours truly) are waiting to hear that BMW has put the repair in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #40
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My SA sent me an email indicating the following:

"I just received word that the latest software level will be arriving shortly"

I take this to mean that they have fixed the BMW Apps functionality as that is the only issue I have related to software. If this does not fix the BMW Apps I will be having some serious discussions with them regarding compensation for my lack of a properly functioning car.

I will let you know what the results are when I get my car back after the 6th.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #41
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any update on this issue guys? does anyone's SA have any word from bmw?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #42
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
That's all correct, but for your car and all other cars with the factory installed 6NR option the activation code is automatically generated by BMW and your dealership should be able to reactivate it without any problems.
At least we can do it, so I would be surprised if your dealership could not do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMEZZ View Post
Any update on this issue guys? does anyone's SA have any word from bmw?
Correct me if I'm wrong but he said that if your car came factory with the 6NR, then the dealer should be able to recode just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #43
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but he said that if your car came factory with the 6NR, then the dealer should be able to recode just fine.
i guess i missed that part. however ive taken my car in to my SA and he hasnt mentioned that at all.
can anyone confirm actually having their dealer recode 6NR back onto the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #44
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
We can do it for cars with factory installed 6NR...
I assume BMW should be able to do it as well
Appreciate 0