E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Can iDrive firmware/software be upgraded?

07-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #23
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Are you talking about BMW Apps? You can use the combox you have, but you need to retrofit it into the vehicle along with purchasing an enabling code.
yes like BMW Apps and A2DP bluetooth audio for example...

the combox is in the vehicle factory. not retrofitted...

is it possible to update the combox firmware/software so it gives me these extra features?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #24
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
yes like BMW Apps and A2DP bluetooth audio for example...

the combox is in the vehicle factory. not retrofitted...

is it possible to update the combox firmware/software so it gives me these extra features?
You should already be able to A2DP Bluetooth audio it's a stock feature of the Combox, you just need to pair your phone and make sure Bluetooth audio is enabled on the services for your device. If it's not listed, your device may not be advertising it supports A2DP.

As far as BMW Apps, no firmware/software update will get you the features. You have to have BMW Apps retrofitted and an enabling code loaded into your vehicle.

Your dealership may or may not be able to do this. Retrofitting BMW Apps is something not officially permitted in North America. Otherwise, you'll need to talk to a retrofit vendor like Bimmer-Tech or BimmerRetrofit to get those features.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #25
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You should already be able to A2DP Bluetooth audio it's a stock feature of the Combox, you just need to pair your phone and make sure Bluetooth audio is enabled on the services for your device. If it's not listed, your device may not be advertising it supports A2DP.

As far as BMW Apps, no firmware/software update will get you the features. You have to have BMW Apps retrofitted and an enabling code loaded into your vehicle.

Your dealership may or may not be able to do this. Retrofitting BMW Apps is something not officially permitted in North America. Otherwise, you'll need to talk to a retrofit vendor like Bimmer-Tech or BimmerRetrofit to get those features.
Fair enough... thanks for the info A2DP is 100% supported on my Samsung Note 3 (I use it in my Nissan suv) and under the paired devices under BMW I only see "Call Audio" and under my Nissan SUV I see "Call Audio" and "Media Audio". I know I can buy a BT adapter and plug into AUX (and i have in the past) just kinda annoying not being able to change tracks though steering and have to turn on my phone screen, unlock and change a track... 1st world problems hey? haha
Appreciate 0