E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Bluetooth retrofit with MULF2

02-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Bluetooth retrofit with MULF2

Getting back to my half-finished BT retrofit (on my 128i, but that forum gets very little traffic comparatively). The issue I have run into is that Bluetooth is disabled on my MULF2. I can see that, but I can't change it with just a regular cable. Research is telling me that I need to use an ICOM and change that via the MOST bus. Can anyone confirm this is correct? Then the issue is getting that done. I found a shop 2hrs from me that will attempt it for $200. But at that price and killing most of a day, I figure I might as well just buy one from eBay for $279 and have it going forward. Or I could sell it on.

Thoughts? Anyone in the Sarasota/Ft Myers FL area with one who would help a brother out?

-Kevin

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Getting back to my half-finished BT retrofit (on my 128i, but that forum gets very little traffic comparatively). The issue I have run into is that Bluetooth is disabled on my MULF2. I can see that, but I can't change it with just a regular cable. Research is telling me that I need to use an ICOM and change that via the MOST bus. Can anyone confirm this is correct? Then the issue is getting that done. I found a shop 2hrs from me that will attempt it for $200. But at that price and killing most of a day, I figure I might as well just buy one from eBay for $279 and have it going forward. Or I could sell it on.

Thoughts? Anyone in the Sarasota/Ft Myers FL area with one who would help a brother out?

-Kevin
How do you know it's disabled? Are you using NCS expert? I have done a mulf2 retrofit on my e90 and can confirm you do not need an icom if you are simply coding it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
How do you know it's disabled? Are you using NCS expert? I have done a mulf2 retrofit on my e90 and can confirm you do not need an icom if you are simply coding it.
I can read the settings from it with ProTools (but I can't change it - just errors out). It shows as Bluetooth being disabled. This is something that is noted in the various threads as a possibility. Some are enabled by default, some are not. If you are unlucky and it isn't enabled, you need an ICOM to change the setting as the MULF2 module needs to be coded through the MOST bus.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Obd2 cable and ncsexpert should do the trick
You should change VO first and then default code the mulf
It should be much the same as many other features

I assume you already know Mulf 2 only does Bluetooth phone calls and not music streaming ?

What year is your car ? Your sig says 11 which would be a combox not mulf I'd have thought ?
      02-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The somewhat common knowledge is you need ICOM to change Most Bus
module setting on cars made after 3/07 as that is when they changed
from K can Bus to D Can Bus. Though I see a lot of threads floating around
that say this is not the case .

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

they talk about the cables in the above link

http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/08/01/...-a2-icom-next/

Last edited by ctuna; 02-20-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The somewhat common knowledge is you need ICOM to change Most Bus
module setting on cars made after 3/07 as that is when they changed
from K can Bus to D Can Bus. Though I see a lot of threads floating around
that say this is not the case .

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

they talk about the cables in the above link

http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/08/01/...-a2-icom-next/
I did a combox retrofit which is on MOST bus and coded with OBD :

I think the confusion here is from flashing vs coding. Flashing most bus modules should not be attempted without ICOM yes but this is a simple coding job. I re read the op and it seems he's using protool. Generally that's not an issue but maybe try a known good instance of ncs with a known good cable ?
      02-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #7
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
I did a combox retrofit which is on MOST bus and coded with OBD :

I think the confusion here is from flashing vs coding. Flashing most bus modules should not be attempted without ICOM yes but this is a simple coding job. I re read the op and it seems he's using protool. Generally that's not an issue but maybe try a known good instance of ncs with a known good cable ?
Yep, never heard of not being able to code a MOST control unit with k+dcan cable. Flashing/software update, yes you can't do MOST units with a k+dcan cable. I have coded loads of MULF2, CCC and CIC with my k+dcan cable using NCS with no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Year the car was made seems to be the gating factor according to past
posters. I don't see any distinction between flashing and coding as both are
changing bits. Programming the car changes more bits and has to handoff
control between modules.

This came up a lot with attempts to code Hi Fi option 676
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
dj_aivan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320D

It's so easy, you need a D-Kan cable and NCS. If you have put corecly the installation well you need to add $6FL to your VO and code it.
Important! If you have a little navigation I don't think there's a chance you can drive this Mulf 2 High
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:06 AM   #10
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_aivan View Post
It's so easy, you need a D-Kan cable and NCS. If you have put corecly the installation well you need to add $6FL to your VO and code it.
Important! If you have a little navigation I don't think there's a chance you can drive this Mulf 2 High
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_aivan View Post
Yep and Don't forget to default code(send a blank .man file in nCSExpert ) to the CIC and the MULF unit
      04-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #11
Bmrbrds
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

HI there. I recently bought a 2007 335i. Did not come with Bluetooth so i retrofit it. Got all the parts from a wrecked e90. I installed everything but i still don't see the Bluetooth logo in the radio menu so I'm assuming I need to code it in. I have never coding anything before. I got ncs expert and a cable. I have confirmed that I can connect to the car. I was just hoping someone can help me out since I don't even know where to go to find the correct module or ecu.

Any help would be very apricated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:44 AM   #12
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrbrds View Post
HI there. I recently bought a 2007 335i. Did not come with Bluetooth so i retrofit it. Got all the parts from a wrecked e90. I installed everything but i still don't see the Bluetooth logo in the radio menu so I'm assuming I need to code it in. I have never coding anything before. I got ncs expert and a cable. I have confirmed that I can connect to the car. I was just hoping someone can help me out since I don't even know where to go to find the correct module or ecu.

Any help would be very apricated.

Thanks
Yes, it needs to be coded. What needs to be coded very much depends on what you had in the car (Nav or not, USB or not) and what parts you pulled and put in. There are a number of threads that here that go into some detail on it. You also may need to re-pin the microphone connections behind/beside the glovebox depending on exactly what you have already.

I can also confirm, that at least for my 128i it was NOT possible to code it with just a cable and NCS or ProTools. I was enabling BT via the MULF2 box that was already in my car, but BT was turned off in it. Once I was able to enable BT in the MULF 2, which HAD to be done via the MOST bus, it all worked just fine.

My research tells me most of the time that is not necessary. Lucky me... ProTools support confirmed it was not possible to change that setting via the regular cable with their software, and I got the same errors trying to do it with NCS. With an ICOM via the MOST bus, no problem at all.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #13
Bmrbrds
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Yes, it needs to be coded. What needs to be coded very much depends on what you had in the car (Nav or not, USB or not) and what parts you pulled and put in. There are a number of threads that here that go into some detail on it. You also may need to re-pin the microphone connections behind/beside the glovebox depending on exactly what you have already.

I can also confirm, that at least for my 128i it was NOT possible to code it with just a cable and NCS or ProTools. I was enabling BT via the MULF2 box that was already in my car, but BT was turned off in it. Once I was able to enable BT in the MULF 2, which HAD to be done via the MOST bus, it all worked just fine.

My research tells me most of the time that is not necessary. Lucky me... ProTools support confirmed it was not possible to change that setting via the regular cable with their software, and I got the same errors trying to do it with NCS. With an ICOM via the MOST bus, no problem at all.

Thank you. I ended up finding a great video that showed me exactly what to do and got it done. Just had to activate 2 things. Did not need to re wire anything. Only thing that isn't working are the steering wheel buttons but not a big deal.

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0