E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Error code 4933 - air to EGR mass flow, plausibility

07-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
PaulE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M Sport

Error code 4933 - air to EGR mass flow, plausibility

Hi, sharing on here for anyone else who comes across this problem.

My car threw up the fault code '4933 - air to EGR mass flow, plausibility'. Before the engine management light appeared, I had no other symptoms. After which, the car appeared to be in limp mode - acceleration was hesitant, although when driving at speed (managed to reach around about 50mph) i'd find that the warning light would go away and the car would give me the 'check ok' icon. Anyway, it reappeared and so I took the car to an indie BMW garage. They diagnosed it as a problem with the part which opens/closes the EGR valve; a small actuator or something similar.

I was told it's the crappy black plastic stick-like thing linked to the EGR valve that had seized (just to the right of the valve in this picture, I believe).

This necessitated the replacement of the entire EGR cooler assembly, which includes an EGR anyway. Apparently the EGR valve itself was not at fault. Apparently this part is only supplied by BMW, too - at a price of ~500. Fortunately for me, the installation was fairly simple so the entire job wasn't that much more painful.

Given all of these issues, I might recommend that people consider the EGR & DPF removal options, with a remapping to fix. Apparently just as expensive as the fix above, but feels like it might be a more permanent solution.
Appreciate 0