E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > you are a speck of dust in the universe

07-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #67
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

too bad we won't live to see what the future of space travels will be like...if we do indeed invent a warp drive that can take us to distant galaxies and so on...we're gonna die only knowing about Apple and Microsoft products

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #68
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Aren't your an atheist? I find it funny that an atheist would be so quick to conclude the alien life exists. Afterall, no proof of it exists. For the record I believe it is likely that alien life exists in the universe, but as I said there is no proof.

The Drake Equation, which people like to cite as being able to predict the mathematical probability of the existence of ETI in our galaxy, is of course fundamentally flawed as most of the values for the variables in that equation aren't known and are at educated guesses at best. The equation also makes the mistake of assuming that life does exist (see the fl and fi variables).

Drake gives both of these variables positive values, based entirely on guesswork and witchcraft. Given that point of the equation is to determine the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy, the equation is self defeating, for any positive value for these variables will result in a value greater than 0.

Listen, this is your proof that there is life outside of us, and it is intelligent:

Humans are some dumb, retarded, fucked up, free thinking creatures who have taken over a world to mass population. Kill everything in sight, including each other, and consume every natural resource we can.... and in the mean time, we have come from shit slingers to talking over invisible waves of energy around the world.

If you dont absolutely know that there is something out there smarter than us; your at the bottom of that dumb, retarded, fucked up, free thinking pile we call human society.

Its called inevitability, and to think we are alone, on top of the HUGE FUCKING OBLIVION seeing how retarded we are as a species, and how new (compared to that oblivion) a species we are - is pretty simple minded if you ask me. but hey, thats just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #69
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
regardless if there is life out in the universe, there is no way to ever encounter them. This scale proves it. Even if somehow the aliens were able to make a loophole generator, it would still take an extremely long time to find our little blue spec in the vastness of space. For them to pinpoint our world would be an extremely low percentage. Even if they did manage to find earth, our civilization would most likely be extinct or even earth itself would be destroyed when our sun dies. No use arguing about alien life because we will almost never encounter alien life. The chances are far too low BUT, there is always a chance that they will.
Just be glad that you have a life and dont worry about alien life because there is nothing to worry about.
      07-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #70
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
Listen, this is your proof that there is life outside of us, and it is intelligent:

Humans are some dumb, retarded, fucked up, free thinking creatures who have taken over a world to mass population. Kill everything in sight, including each other, and consume every natural resource we can.... and in the mean time, we have come from shit slingers to talking over invisible waves of energy around the world.

If you dont absolutely know that there is something out there smarter than us; your at the bottom of that dumb, retarded, fucked up, free thinking pile we call human society.

Its called inevitability, and to think we are alone, on top of the HUGE FUCKING OBLIVION seeing how retarded we are as a species, and how new (compared to that oblivion) a species we are - is pretty simple minded if you ask me. but hey, thats just my opinion.

Great proof. A+

I'm so glad that you didn't just use a bunch of conjecture, otherwise I wouldn't have been so thoroughly convinced that your argument must be correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #71
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
regardless if there is life out in the universe, there is no way to ever encounter them. This scale proves it. Even if somehow the aliens were able to make a loophole generator, it would still take an extremely long time to find our little blue spec in the vastness of space. For them to pinpoint our world would be an extremely low percentage. Even if they did manage to find earth, our civilization would most likely be extinct or even earth itself would be destroyed when our sun dies. No use arguing about alien life because we will almost never encounter alien life. The chances are far too low BUT, there is always a chance that they will.
Just be glad that you have a life and dont worry about alien life because there is nothing to worry about.
I think you mean wormhole, not loophole. Although still entirely hypothetical, the laws of spacetime wouldn't apply inside a wormhole, as they are a tunnel through spacetime itself. You'd also have to consider that an alien civiliization capable of creating a tunnel through spacetime on demand would have technology sufficient to map out much of a galaxy, if not several galaxies, in a much, much shorter period of time than we presently can. It's also conceivable that such a civilization could travel near the speed of light without the need for a wormhole. None of this would really be necessary though, as a wormhole would allow for time travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #72
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you mean wormhole, not loophole. Although still entirely hypothetical, the laws of spacetime wouldn't apply inside a wormhole, as they are a tunnel through spacetime itself. You'd also have to consider that an alien civiliization capable of creating a tunnel through spacetime on demand would have technology sufficient to map out much of a galaxy, if not several galaxies, in a much, much shorter period of time than we presently can. It's also conceivable that such a civilization could travel near the speed of light without the need for a wormhole. None of this would really be necessary though, as a wormhole would allow for time travel.
my mistake, Wormhole. Yes they may have the ability to map out an entire galaxy, but there are billions of galaxies in the universe. The odds of them finding ours is still low.
      08-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #73
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
my mistake, Wormhole. Yes they may have the ability to map out an entire galaxy, but there are billions of galaxies in the universe. The odds of them finding ours is still low.
Of couse this is purely speculative, but I think the possibility of superluminal travel could increase those odds rather dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #74
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post

Quote:
Great proof. A+

I'm so glad that you didn't just use a bunch of conjecture, otherwise I wouldn't have been so thoroughly convinced that your argument must be correct.
lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #75
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
It is statistically, virtually impossible for there to not be life elsewhere in the universe. No one ever said it necessarily had to be intelligent life.

Also, I think it is a huge mistake to assume that life can only exist on "Earth-like" planets.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #76
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Great proof. A+

I thought you would like my absolute proof HAHA! Ima physicist of sorts......
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #77
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

anyone watch "through the wormhole?" that show is money. just watched 2 eps of it last night.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #78
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
anyone watch "through the wormhole?" that show is money. just watched 2 eps of it last night.
i think there are a few people in this thread who has watched it and all of a sudden they think they are experts on the matter lol!

yeah i watch it too, absolutely boggles my mind and i truly wish i could live long enough to see some of these answers...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #79
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
i think there are a few people in this thread who has watched it and all of a sudden they think they are experts on the matter lol!

yeah i watch it too, absolutely boggles my mind and i truly wish i could live long enough to see some of these answers...
hah, watching that show makes me feel more ignorant than anything. agreed on the mind boggling. every answer raises new questions
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #80
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Where did you get those figures? What evidence are they based on? What science was used to come to that determination? Don't bother answering, I know you made it up.

On the one hand, you are convinced that there must be no god based on the fact that there is no proof one. No proof, no god. You call people who think otherwise idiots.

On the other hand, you are convinced that there must be alien life based on the fact that there is no proof of any. No proof, must be aliens. You call people who think otherwise idiots.

Clearly you don't see the inconsistency in your thought process.

Either you accept that things can exist without having physical proof of them or you don't. For the record, I'm not particularly religious. I bounce between agnosticism and perhaps some sort of pantheism.
Statistically, there is no way we are the only life. That is the proof for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #81
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

The best video ever...everyone should watch this.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #82
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
for those of you who haven't seen it
]
holy fwck, it blew my mind.

hey, what if all the galaxies we see through our telescopes are just a reflection like in the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #83
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The best video ever...everyone should watch this.

that's i think why humans are so awesome, because we can analyze our selves like that then build on it (CONQUER DA UNIVERSE!!!). but of course there are those who can't think on a big scale... we don't really need them :P.(I'm talking about criminals etc)
      08-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #84
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
And they were all created by one giant spaghetti monster
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #85
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Aren't your an atheist? I find it funny that an atheist would be so quick to conclude the alien life exists. Afterall, no proof of it exists. For the record I believe it is likely that alien life exists in the universe, but as I said there is no proof.
Hmmm...ok I've perused the thread but I'm coming back to this. I think you're making a common mistake when talking about atheism which is to say that atheism has the burden to prove that God does not exist. Check this out so I don't have to paraphrase it or misquote: Atheism does not require faith

Here's the gist of it: "Claiming that atheists “cannot prove that God does not exist” often relies upon the misunderstanding that atheists claim “God does not exist” and should prove this. In reality, atheists merely fail to accept the theists' claim “God exists” and, hence, the initial burden of proof lies with the believer. If the believer is unable to provide good reason to accept the existence of their god, it is unreasonable to expect the atheist to construct a disproof of it — or even care much about the claim in the first place."

Quote:
The Drake Equation, which people like to cite as being able to predict the mathematical probability of the existence of ETI in our galaxy, is of course fundamentally flawed as most of the values for the variables in that equation aren't known and are at educated guesses at best. The equation also makes the mistake of assuming that life does exist (see the fl and fi variables).

Drake gives both of these variables positive values, based entirely on guesswork and witchcraft. Given that point of the equation is to determine the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy, the equation is self defeating, for any positive value for these variables will result in a value greater than 0.
I feel like you've abused the Drake equation here a little bit. It is a theoretical probability equation based on the fact that intelligent life DOES EXIST in the first place, namely on Earth. That is indisputable and I think you would probably agree (that we exist).

Saying that alien life probably exists given the fact of our own existence and the relative size of the universe is fundamentally different from the claim that god exists/does not exist.

I might even go a step further and say that claiming that alien life exists/does not exist is still fundamentally different from claiming that god exists/does not exist because the concept of god is so much more troublesome than the concept of alien life in a purely metaphysical sense.

Either way, bringing atheism into it is incorrect though you might choose to use theism as a substitute.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #86
lisakay
Spain
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
interesting thread to say the least.

here's a video I first watched a few months ago. visually, this couldn't be more perfect and mind-boggling. viewing in full-screen is a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jym...yer_embedded#!

"The Known Universe takes viewers from the Himalayas through our atmosphere and the inky black of space to the afterglow of the Big Bang. Every star, planet, and quasar seen in the film is possible because of the world's most complete four-dimensional map of the universe, the Digital Universe Atlas that is maintained and updated by astrophysicists at the American Museum of Natural History. The new film, created by the Museum, is part of an exhibition, Visions of the Cosmos: From the Milky Ocean to an Evolving Universe, at the Rubin Museum of Art in Manhattan through May 2010. "
      08-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #87
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Great vid w/ Carl Sagan narrating

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #88
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

woa the size of some stars has me baffled.

I sometimes really think through on this string theory wise ... I mean, what if, our universe, is only an atom or maybe even smaller like a quark, in the mollecular structure of something else. Eg an atom forming the leg of a cow in a different world ... i don't know if it's possible but i don't know either if it's not so we might even be smaller than we can ever imagine?

Probably overthinking this one though
Appreciate 0