E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Review - Vanguard V2 Cat-Back Exhaust (Videos Inside)

01-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Post Review - Vanguard V2 Cat-Back Exhaust (Videos Inside)

**** The only experience I've had with Vanguard is also with catless downpipes. My opinion of Vanguard is only my opinion of Vanguard paired with catless downpipes. I have never heard Vanguard with stock downpipes. ****

Install: Easy. This exhaust lines up perfectly with no issues. Install time will depend on how fast you can bolt and unbolt things. Hardest part is getting the stock exhaust off the exhaust hangars, really wasn't all that hard but I almost ripped through one of them from pulling so hard. No big deal that it ripped a little, it still works just fine.

Pros: The welds are really nice. I wouldn't say the exhaust is "light weight" but it's probably still lighter than the stock exhaust. The sound is nice, it's deep and semi-loud, although not as loud as I expected it to be. Many people on the forum say it's very loud, but honestly if you guys think this is loud, you should just stick with stock exhausts on every car you own. It sounds best while just cruising, or while revving in neutral.

Cons: The tips are designed in an interesting fashion, to say the least. I took the tips off yesterday to clean them, and I found that a LOT of water came out of them. The water wasn't just superficially on the tip, it was literally inside. Apparently, there is space in between the tips for water to collect. I picked them up, and they started leaking everywhere. Probably about half a cups worth of water in each tip. I've never had aftermarket exhaust tips before, so I can't say if this problem only happens with Vanguard tips or not. It really isn't a con, just something weird that I've never seen before.

A real con to this exhaust is the rasp in between shifts during full throttle. I believe it's just because I have catless downpipes? No where on this forum have I read anything but positive reviews about Vanguard, so here I am to say that it really doesn't sound that special. It's nice most of the time, but the rasp kills it a bit for me. It sounds good for the most part, but when you're really on the gas pedal, in between shifts it sounds raspy.

Another HUGE con was that I was sent two passenger side mufflers, rather than one passenger side and one driver side. The vendor claims it's Vanguard's fault, but the package was sent from the vendor, not Vanguard. I'm not really sure whose fault it is, doesn't matter to me. I was quite disappointed that the vendor absolutely refused to overnight me the correct muffler because it would cost them too much, aka their profit wouldn't be good enough. I wouldn't have minded regular shipping if I hadn't just installed the midpipes, axle back, and one muffler before I realized they sent me two of the same muffler. The muffler boxes even said "Box A" and "Box B", but they were the same muffler. Since I didn't have the time to go back and uninstall everything I had just installed, I had the huge misfortune of driving my car around for one week with only one muffler. It sounded quite horrible to say the least, like a mix between a very annoying Civic and a Harley. I don't suggest anyone drive with one muffler unless you really have to, and I would hope that any other vendor would remedy their mistake and overnight a person in my position the part that they need. **end rant**

In conclusion, I don't think I would buy this exhaust again if given the opportunity. I don't dislike it enough that I would sell it *actually I sold it*, but I still wouldn't buy it again. It sounds pretty good most of the time, decently loud and throaty (not as loud as everyone says), but the rasp during wide open throttle at the top of each gear is just stupid annoying. I should have just got down pipes and a muffler delete.

Edit: Update after a few weeks of owning the exhaust.
It grew on me a lot. I like it, and get a lot of complements on it. It's still raspy at the top of the RPM band, and that still bothers me. Personally, the rasp is a deal breaker for me, but that's just because I hate rasp with a burning passion.

Edit: Videos added. I think it sounds better in the videos than it does in person lmao.

Edit: I sold this exhaust a long time ago. Rasp is not for me.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife

Last edited by EDM92; 04-28-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Wow interesting review. With downpipes, MOST exhaust are bound to rasp though. So I don't think you can fault Vanguard at that. I agree that it could be louder although for me, it's plenty loud enough.

I def think that Vanguards sound much better on an N55 than an N54.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Nice review!

I would wait until you put some miles on it because it will change the exhaust note, hopefully for the better. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The reason why it rasp is the midpipes have an h-pipe connection as suppose to a x-pipe union. The Vangaurd has resonators too and it still rasps like the OP stated which is poor design. It sound very deep and throaty for sure, but if you go catless dps, the h-pipe at the midpipes do not cancel out the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
The reason why it rasp is the midpipes have an h-pipe connection as suppose to a x-pipe union. The Vangaurd has resonators too and it still rasps like the OP stated which is poor design. It sound very deep and throaty for sure, but if you go catless dps, the h-pipe at the midpipes do not cancel out the rasp.
When MAC installed my exhaust, they used the stock midpipe instead of fabricating a new one which is what Matt@Camber-Toe would have done. Since I still have the stock midpipe, maybe that's why my car doesn't rasp that much?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
When MAC installed my exhaust, they used the stock midpipe instead of fabricating a new one which is what Matt@Camber-Toe would have done. Since I still have the stock midpipe, maybe that's why my car doesn't rasp that much?
Yes the stock pipes has a x-pipe...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes the stock pipes has a x-pipe...
Whoo good thing I went the MAC route then in this case. The only problem with my Vanguards and using the stock midpipe is that when I put my car in reverse, the midpipe rubs against the transfer case and my car starts to vibrate ever so slightly. Other than that, I think the Vanguards are totally worth it. But of course, different people = different tastes.

OP, you'd probably be happier with Eisenmanns.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
So what you guys are saying is that I should find a welder to replace that H pipe with an X pipe, and my rasp will be gone?

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Vanguard never had any rasp for me...

What Vendor?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
OP we need to meet up soon and see how the cars sound. maybe someone with a decent camaera can meet with us and take some pics/video

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

This is what I dont understand, Vanguard has a res and has some rasp, it does Ive heard it in some youtube videos, but slighty.
Ae has no res but doesnt rasp?
I guess ae just has very quiet mufflers?
Op, I dont think the rasp should be that bad, try to video it, Im curious(Im sure a lot o orhers are as well) to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Vanguard never had any rasp for me...

What Vendor?
Were you running catless DPs? I won't say which vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
OP we need to meet up soon and see how the cars sound. maybe someone with a decent camaera can meet with us and take some pics/video
I'm down to meet you half way. Let me know when and I'll be there as long as I don't have class or any tests. I'm interested to see how your car sounds compared to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
This is what I dont understand, Vanguard has a res and has some rasp, it does Ive heard it in some youtube videos, but slighty.
Op, I dont think the rasp should be that bad, try to video it, Im curious(Im sure a lot o orhers are as well) to hear it.
Trust me, the rasp is bad. I have it on my car, I think I would know haha. I'll get a video next time I'm driving, but it won't be very good.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
AE uses x-pipe and their tips have resonators built inside...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
Were you running catless DPs? I won't say which vendor.

I'm down to meet you half way. Let me know when and I'll be there as long as I don't have class or any tests. I'm interested to see how your car sounds compared to mine.

Trust me, the rasp is bad. I have it on my car, I think I would know haha. I'll get a video next time I'm driving, but it won't be very good.
Any type of rasp makes the car sound like crap...Before I installed in the resonators on my car the car sounded like crap but once it was installed it was rasp free. Vanguard has resonators built into the midpipes which only points to the h-pipe as the rasp producer...All mufflers are pretty much built the same with a baffle and sound dampening material (fiberglass)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any type of rasp makes the car sound like crap...Before I installed in the resonators on my car the car sounded like crap but once it was installed it was rasp free. Vanguard has resonators built into the midpipes which only points to the h-pipe as the rasp producer...All mufflers are pretty much built the same with a baffle and sound dampening material (fiberglass)
What would you say is the best solution to getting rid of this rasp on my Vanguard set up? I know that you know what you're talking about, I've been following a lot of your posts over the years. Should I get a welder to get rid of the H pipe and weld in an X pipe in the same place? If not, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What would you say is the best solution to getting rid of this rasp on my Vanguard set up? I know that you know what you're talking about, I've been following a lot of your posts over the years. Should I get a welder to get rid of the H pipe and weld in an X pipe in the same place? If not, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
Get rid of the H-pipe and replace it would with x-pipe...Exhaust sound waves are changed by using an x-pipe which bounces the exhaust gases against each other as it flows through and cancels out some of the frequency that causes rasp...While the resonators alone do a great job at getting rid of rasp, its not enough to totally get rid of it, but with an x-pipe it will! H-pipe basically IMO is for tuning the exhaust note making it sound deeper and throatier...I would weld it in before the resonators, but in your case you have no choice but after, since the resonators are right at the DP connection. It definitely should still work the same...

This is something you need to address as its not going to get better once exhaust breaks in. Rasp is rasp and it drove me nuts like you that I had to either get rid of it or change back to stock. THERE IS NO GETTING use to! Right now I have ZERO rasp regardless of WOT, gearing, partial throttle...Drone is also very very minimal.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
Quote:
Get rid of the H-pipe and replace it would with x-pipe...Exhaust sound waves are changed by using an x-pipe which bounces the exhaust gases against each other as it flows through and cancels out some of the frequency that causes rasp...While the resonators alone do a great job at getting rid of rasp, its not enough to totally get rid of it, but with an x-pipe it will! H-pipe basically IMO is for tuning the exhaust note making it sound deeper and throatier...I would weld it in before the resonators, but in your case you have no choice but after, since the resonators are right at the DP connection. It definitely should still work the same...

This is something you need to address as its not going to get better once exhaust breaks in. Rasp is rasp and it drove me nuts like you that I had to either get rid of it or change back to stock. THERE IS NO GETTING use to! Right now I have ZERO rasp regardless of WOT, gearing, partial throttle...Drone is also very very minimal.
Awesome, thanks man. So get rid of the H pipe, weld the holes up, and weld in an X pipe as close to the downpipes as I can?

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks man. So get rid of the H pipe, weld the holes up, and weld in an X pipe as close to the downpipes as I can?
No just weld in the x-pipe where the h-pipe location is fine. Cut that location and just weld in the new x-pipe and your good to go..No need to change it that drastically!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
Quote:
No just weld in the x-pipe where the h-pipe location is fine. Cut that location and just weld in the new x-pipe and your good to go..No need to change it that drastically!
Will do. I'll update you when I get it done! Thanks a ton.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
^yeah do it

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Videos added on the original post! One with windows up, one with windows down.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Damn, yeah definitely the midpipe. My car sounds nothing like that.
Appreciate 0