E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Gearbox feels more stiff/harder to put in gear after changing gears quickly

08-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual

Gearbox feels more stiff/harder to put in gear after changing gears quickly

I have a 2010 328i Manual. Stock if that matters.

Under spirited driving my gearbox(every gear including 6th) will be stiffer to shift into gear for a little bit and I have no idea what would cause it. I bought the car at 100k miles now at 120 and haven't done many fluid changes other than oil, should I change the gearbox oil? Or should I be leaving something like that alone. It's not like it's necessarily hard to put in gear, just harder.

thanks for any input

Last edited by e90dum; 08-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dum View Post

Under spirited driving my gearbox(every gear including 6th) will be stiffer to shift into gear for a little bit and I have no idea what would cause it. I bought the car at 100k miles now at 120 and haven't done many fluid changes other than oil, should I change the gearbox oil? Or should I be leaving something like that alone. It's not like it's necessarily hard to put in gear, just harder.

thanks for any input
At 120k miles I would flush the 'lifetime' MT fluid for sure. I just hit 100k and am planning to do this next week, along with my diff fluid.
The DIY is not that hard if you have ramps/jackstands. Check out Pelican Parts they walk you through how to do it. I think there is also a DIY article on this site somewhere.
General consensus is that Royal Purple Synchromax, Redline D4 or Redline D6 are all excellent replacement oils that will smooth out your shifting quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
Phil325i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
+1 on fluid change. I replace my MT fluid every 35K! And you might also want to think about uprated gearbox mounts (e.g. Rogue Engineering). They really improve shift quality.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:57 AM   #4
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
+1 on fluid change. I replace my MT fluid every 35K! And you might also want to think about uprated gearbox mounts (e.g. Rogue Engineering). They really improve shift quality.
Ordered 2 quarts of royal purple and a pump.

How would you describe the improve in shift quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Phil325i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
How would you describe the improve in shift quality?
Much more positive - less 'slop'. See here:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogu...nts_p_137.html
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

thanks for any input
I went ahead and changed the fluid earlier today with the royal purple stuff. I can't tell a difference in the feel of the 'gates' while driving the car, but it feels like it's easier to get in gear from neutral to reverse after a cold start and everything feels a little smoother. The old oil didn't look that dirty, especially for 120k miles. I think I woulda blown the money on something else(I need bolts for my new headers pfft) in hindsight. Easy job, getting the drain/fill plug out was a bitch. That was it though

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So, I ordered some ESS transmission mounts per your adviceand installed them earlier today. I ordered https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2718367/ specifically

Soo, this is a fantastic mod if you want to spend $70 to make your car completely insane. The vibrations are so bad that it almost isn't streetable. Times that I normally would cruise in 4th gear I put in 5th so I can hear. Does the transmission shift better/smoother? I have no idea, I'm too busy focusing on how fucking awesome my car is
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
stud49492002
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Stiff gear after transmission fluid change

I performed by own transmission fluid change (dropped the pan as well) and now the gear feels stiff when shifting out of Drive. Shifting out of other gears is not an issue and my 2011 335d with 84K miles is running as smooth as ever. Another thing to note is I just started smelling a faint burning rubber smell coming from the vents along with a slight noise coming from the vent when turning at low speeds. This started about a week after I performed the transmission fluid change. I've researched the forums and can't seem to really figure this out. Perhaps, the burning smell and noise is related to harmonic pulley balancer or power steering. As for the stiff gear when taking it out of drive, I'm completely puzzled. I appreciate any guidance you can provide me with!
Appreciate 0