E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 2008 335i Convertible - Drama after Drama

01-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #23
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Had the low coolant warning come on 2 weeks ago. Added about 400-500mls of coolant/distilled water mix. About a week later coolant warning came on again so i added about 200-300 mls. Is this normal? There are no visible leaks anywhere, no coolant burning smell, hoses look all intact. Sydney temperatures have been crazy hot so is some evaporation normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #24
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesam View Post
Had the low coolant warning come on 2 weeks ago. Added about 400-500mls of coolant/distilled water mix. About a week later coolant warning came on again so i added about 200-300 mls. Is this normal? There are no visible leaks anywhere, no coolant burning smell, hoses look all intact. Sydney temperatures have been crazy hot so is some evaporation normal?
If the coolant isn't coming out of the overflow in the expansion tank then you could have a failed seal on the oil filter housing and the coolant is going into the engine (check that there is no white sluggy material inside the cap where the oil is poured in) or the transmission cooler has failed and coolant is going into your transmission. (check transmission fluid level and colour)
Appreciate 1
DaveSA10.00
      01-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #25
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Or like me you have a pin hole leak in one of the many fantastic plastic BMW cooling system parts. Mine was a small leak on the radiator end tank. Couldn't see it until you took the thing apart
      01-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #26
DaveSA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Highly recommend you find a good mechanic or DIY.
Spoke with Dean today from BM Wise. Taking the car in next week for him to do a fine tooth comb of it. He did mention the oil, asked what had been used at the last change.

Thinking about it now, the previous oil change, M-car oil was used. Were as this time it wasn't. The oil that's in it now, definitely runs about 10C hotter. So I'll get Dean to change that (again) back to M-car oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #27
DaveSA
Private
Rep

Hi Guys,

Been a while since posted. Long story short... had a kidney stone operation, multiple stones and one 6mm stone wedged below prostrate, that was fun. But following that, a 'stent from hell' was inserted for close on 25 days. It's taken a good 3 months to start feeling ok again.

Anyway... The 335i saga continues lo-f'ing-l.

The latest issue, turbo coolant lines. All 4 lines and related parts were replaced by Michael McMichael BMW about 2 weeks ago. $2,500. Aprox $1K cheaper than BM Connections wanted.

So no coolant leaks now. Current expenditure is a few bucks shy of $20K now

However, car is still running insanely hot. Oil temp yesterday after approx 5 min of full turbo boosting, reached a bee's d#ck away from the 130C line. Those temps freak me out, as it's going into limp mode range.

What I have noticed, the radiator fans while they do engage, they are not coming on at full-speed anymore. So I'm thinking it's either a blown fuse, or some wiring issue, or maybe the fan motors which power it into max-fan-speed, is knackered.

Again any suggestions to the current fan/cooling issue is as always much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #28
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Water pump thermostat replaced?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #29
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mmm View Post
What E36 said

Dave you need to find a new machanic.... you will go broke paying that rate for every repair
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #30
DaveSA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mmm View Post
Yes that was replaced back in April 2016, when the electric water pump crapped itself. 30K on the clock since.

I've moved back to Adelaide now, however was up at my other place in Murray Bridge last week (after turbo coolant lines etc replaced), both trips on the highway the car did cool down and kept a constant 95-100C.

Though, as soon as I hit Adelaide city traffic (Sat 25'th Aug) and used boost, the oil-temp started climbing. By the time I arrived home it was sitting around 125C.

At temps like this, even less, say around 120C, I recall the radiator fans would be screaming at full bore. But this no longer happens. Hence why I'm questioning the "fan" issue???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Dave you need to find a new machanic.... you will go broke paying that rate for every repair
Adelaide BMW were between $220 - $250 hr (but we all know why I'm not going back there)

BM Connections were stinging $140 - $160 hr for labour.

Michael McMichael is far cheaper @ $120 hr.

But where do I go to get cheaper labour costs?

They all seem to be around this price here in Adelaide. Do I risk taking it to a mainstream mech shop, hoping, they don't f#ck it up...??? In which case, it's going to cost me more money...

Edit:
It maybe time to nod to the possibility I got played for a sucker when I purchased this car. And, the $32,500 I paid for this 335i, was likely worth far less, due to all the ALL the ongoing issues I've had, with the mere 30K this car has traveled since purchase. I bought this car for some enjoyment. And, unfortunately, while I have some fun times with it. The majority of this ownership has brought a greater degree of sadness, than happiness

Last edited by DaveSA; 08-26-2018 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:36 AM   #31
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSA View Post
Yes that was replaced back in April 2016, when the electric water pump crapped itself. 30K on the clock since.

I've moved back to Adelaide now, however was up at my other place in Murray Bridge last week (after turbo coolant lines etc replaced), both trips on the highway the car did cool down and kept a constant 95-100C.

Though, as soon as I hit Adelaide city traffic (Sat 25'th Aug) and used boost, the oil-temp started climbing. By the time I arrived home it was sitting around 125C.

At temps like this, even less, say around 120C, I recall the radiator fans would be screaming at full bore. But this no longer happens. Hence why I'm questioning the "fan" issue???

Adelaide BMW were between $220 - $250 hr (but we all know why I'm not going back there)

BM Connections were stinging $140 - $160 hr for labour.

Michael McMichael is far cheaper @ $120 hr.

But where do I go to get cheaper labour costs?

They all seem to be around this price here in Adelaide. Do I risk taking it to a mainstream mech shop, hoping, they don't f#ck it up...??? In which case, it's going to cost me more money...

Edit:
It maybe time to nod to the possibility I got played for a sucker when I purchased this car. And, the $32,500 I paid for this 335i, was likely worth far less, due to all the ALL the ongoing issues I've had, with the mere 30K this car has traveled since purchase. I bought this car for some enjoyment. And, unfortunately, while I have some fun times with it. The majority of this ownership has brought a greater degree of sadness, than happiness
def need to find an indy that knows the N54 and $120 an hour sounds like a the going rate. Always helps to check in here before committing to any work.. Peeps will tell you if it is a simple (cheap) job or if the price they are quoting is fair.... reading your thread, looks like you have replaced most of the stuff that fails (water pump, HPFP, Oil filter gasket etc) The cooling issue is a bit odd but remember these cars run well above 110C as standard, although 130C is a bit excessive. If the coolant level is not going down then its not a leak and I would think its a dodgy sensor (plastic clip on thing as the bottom of the expansion tank). If its a leak then that's a different matter. I used this to track it down (see links below). Glows under UV and makes it super easy to find the leaks.... One last point, I love my E92 but there is not more frustrating when it breaks down. These are not toyota reliable cars. They are aging sports saloons with tech from early 2000s.... they can and will cost money to keep running but when they do (with a MDH tune) they will toast 99% of the cars on the road today and smoking a new mustang or merc is worth every cent !!!!

Last edited by Socket; 08-27-2018 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
DaveSA10.00
      08-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #32
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
links

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AutoPro-...item235c673b66

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/51-LED-3...item1ec9f0dc3d
Appreciate 1
DaveSA10.00
      08-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #33
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Poor guy. Hope shes back on the road so you can enjoy her. I would check the waterpump and thermostat again if you have not changed it yourself and if you were told it was done before purchase.. something not right with that temperature building up like that. I have only seen my temp on my 335 cab go upto 120 on a handful of occassions and thats when I was giving it a very hard time. 99% my temp sits between 100° and 110°..
Appreciate 1
DaveSA10.00
      08-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #34
DaveSA
Private
Rep

Quote:
they will toast 99% of the cars on the road today and smoking a new mustang or merc is worth every cent !!!!
Oh yeah, IKR... Had a guy the other day in a Ford V8 must have thought (like so many non savvy bmer drivers) the convertible is just all show, and no go. At lights behind this guy and he plants it. Lets just say he was another notch in a long list of deluded fools.

What totally cracks me up every single time...The look on their faces is priceless

Back on topic, phoned BMWise and it's booked in. However, was close by there yesterday and dropped in. They hooked it up to their computer and couldn't get the radiator fan(s) to fire up. Tried 2 consoles neither activated them.

What really impressed me though... Straight up he identified 2 issues just on sight.
  1. One of the turbo reservoir can's, its feeder pipe had a small weep.
  2. Encased wiring (assuming it connected the fan) wasn't how it should be.

Reiterating, I'm not mechanically minded, but when the turbo coolant pipes were done (2 weeks ago) wouldn't one check the entire system? These reservoir cans supply coolant to the turbos. I would have though doing that would be a given... Obviously not where I took it.

The wiring issue stems back to April 2016 when BMW Adelaide replaced the EWP and thermostat. The fan wasn't working, apparently a blown-fuse, and a short in the wiring, which they spliced in new wires, and got it working.

Got home last night and tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the fuse for the fan. Thinking, as its blown before, maybe that's the issue now, just a simple fuse replacement.

If some one can point me to where this fuse is located???
Can check that 1 from the list of possibles.

NB - The fan(s) are working, just not going into maximum operational speed. It was working a while back, the more I think about it, they seem to have stopped going into max-speed, after the radiator was replaced at BM Connections. Wont be going back there.

If that's not the issue, BMWise are going to go over the entire car. I feel like I've found mechanics who know the 335i inside/out. Hence in safe hands, finally!

Last edited by DaveSA; 08-29-2018 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: NB
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #35
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSA View Post
Oh yeah, IKR... Had a guy the other day in a Ford V8 must have thought (like so many non savvy bmer drivers) the convertible is just all show, and no go. At lights behind this guy and he plants it. Lets just say he was another notch in a long list of deluded fools.

What totally cracks me up every single time...The look on their faces is priceless

Back on topic, phoned BMWise and it's booked in. However, was close by there yesterday and dropped in. They hooked it up to their computer and couldn't get the radiator fan(s) to fire up. Tried 2 consoles neither activated them.

What really impressed me though... Straight up he identified 2 issues just on sight.
  1. One of the turbo reservoir can's, its feeder pipe had a small weep.
  2. Encased wiring (assuming it connected the fan) wasn't how it should be.

Reiterating, I'm not mechanically minded, but when the turbo coolant pipes were done (2 weeks ago) wouldn't one check the entire system? These reservoir cans supply coolant to the turbos. I would have though doing that would be a given... Obviously not where I took it.

The wiring issue stems back to April 2016 when BMW Adelaide replaced the EWP and thermostat. The fan wasn't working, apparently a blown-fuse, and a short in the wiring, which they spliced in new wires, and got it working.

Got home last night and tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the fuse for the fan. Thinking, as its blown before, maybe that's the issue now, just a simple fuse replacement.

If some one can point me to where this fuse is located???
Can check that 1 from the list of possibles.

NB - The fan(s) are working, just not going into maximum operational speed. It was working a while back, the more I think about it, they seem to have stopped going into max-speed, after the radiator was replaced at BM Connections. Wont be going back there.

If that's not the issue, BMWise are going to go over the entire car. I feel like I've found mechanics who know the 335i inside/out. Hence in safe hands, finally!
Good luck mate.. glad you found someone who knows that they are doing, I hope they sort out things for you soon
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #36
DaveSA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good luck mate.. glad you found someone who knows that they are doing, I hope they sort out things for you soon
Thanks mate appreciated
It's certainly about time things swung my way!

I'll keep the thread updated on the outcome.
Appreciate 0