E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux angel eye on way out?

09-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Lux angel eye on way out?

Noticed one side of my lux starting to dim compared to the other side outer ring?

Believe these were the newest lux 80? Have to reach out to them believe are about 2 years old. They always had fantastic customer service.

I was bummed and might be installing my stock yellows if not covered under warranty still-
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
Noticed one side of my lux starting to dim compared to the other side outer ring?

Believe these were the newest lux 80? Have to reach out to them believe are about 2 years old. They always had fantastic customer service.

I was bummed and might be installing my stock yellows if not covered under warranty still-
Website says 1 year warranty, pretty standard on electrical parts. I have one on the way out too.. FML
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Without seeing more details, you sure its theIr Cree vs your fiber optic to the outer ring going bad? Heat among other things has killed those for others.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Without seeing more details, you sure its theIr Cree vs your fiber optic to the outer ring going bad? Heat among other things has killed those for others.
Quote:
Wow I'm not sure what that means- so if it's the fiber optic to the outer ring, what must I replace for that ?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow I'm not sure what that means- so if it's the fiber optic to the outer ring, what must I replace for that ?
Well hopefully it's not that. Only remedy to that is a new headlight assembly (nobody will sell a new one separate). That's where mine is so the outer has severely less output.

As others have mentioned, if it WERE the case, you'd be at a crossroads as there are custom lighting options from places like BavGruppe that have newer f30 crystal and 3/4 crystal looks along with plain ole circular replacements for the angel/corona eyes area that are LED based and have consistent lighting throughout. Also allows for custom options like amber switch (so you turn signal in amber color with the angel eyes, then it reverts back to white). Also allows for pulsating color schemes (for that trickster in you).

That'll run you about 300-500 depending on if you replace the front lens (since you would be breaking the seal anyway). There are some prebuilt options on ebay if you dont care about adaptive lighting.

Or go get a new set for about a grand. Ebay and BavGruppe have these around this price.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So the best from the Lux can do that? If so and mine aren't damaged I might install the stock bulbs back if it's not too late - screw that noise if I need new assemblies I'd sell my car before replacing them
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Its hard to see from the picture, but it only looks like the outer ring is not working, but the inner is working fine? Also did you e-mail us as i don't remember seeing this picture in e-mail.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Its hard to see from the picture, but it only looks like the outer ring is not working, but the inner is working fine? Also did you e-mail us as i don't remember seeing this picture in e-mail.
I'm going to switch the bulbs to the other side and see if it does the same- if the higher temp of the lux can damage the expensive outer ring filaments I would of never of purchased them- that's not worth the upgraded look- really hoping it's not due to the temp of the lux / outer ring filament going bad man that would suck
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So the best from the Lux can do that? If so and mine aren't damaged I might install the stock bulbs back if it's not too late - screw that noise if I need new assemblies I'd sell my car before replacing them
I wouldn't necessarily say this has anything to do with the LUX. It could be heat, could be just age and Hawaii's UV. My car is 8 years old and it just happened. I've had some form of Lux's or HPBs since year 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say this has anything to do with the LUX. It could be heat, could be just age and Hawaii's UV. My car is 8 years old and it just happened. I've had some form of Lux's or HPBs since year 1.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hear ya- looking at the pics , the inner rings look strong so that concerns me that it's the filament innthe outer ring-
Guess worst case I just replace the entire housing - which looks a pita as you have to remove the damn bumper - I'll probably as for a quote from the body shop since they can do it probably in an hour and hopefully charge 200 or less in labor- do t have time for that.

Or just let it be for a while till they really look bad -
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to switch the bulbs to the other side and see if it does the same- if the higher temp of the lux can damage the expensive outer ring filaments I would of never of purchased them- that's not worth the upgraded look- really hoping it's not due to the temp of the lux / outer ring filament going bad man that would suck
the LUX are actually significantly cooler than stock so there is no way that these could damage the outer rings, just putting that out there. I do want to see what is going on still however to help find the route cause of this. Perhaps the bulb isnt in place all the way or has fallen out slightly, that could cause it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
the LUX are actually significantly cooler than stock so there is no way that these could damage the outer rings, just putting that out there. I do want to see what is going on still however to help find the route cause of this. Perhaps the bulb isnt in place all the way or has fallen out slightly, that could cause it.
you guys have been awesome. these are the newest generation as the first gen i had died within warranty and you sent me out these newest ones which as you noted look strong in the inner ring. I like your suggestion maybe the bulb inside jossled loose, im going to check it...
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Herakles
Captain
Rep

So pumped the bulb on drivers side just loose- so hard to get a good turn on it- I dropped the headlamp screwcap at the end and fell down in the belly pan fml lol well I familiarized myself with lowering the pan if I do fmic ... got it and slapped back on

These newer lux are kicking ass and lasting over two years so far
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Perfect glad that's all it was, super easy solution then!
Appreciate 0