E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Slightly stoopid here - need mtech 3d style lip install instructions

05-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Slightly stoopid here - need mtech 3d style lip install instructions

Listen, I realize installing the lip "should" be self-explanatory. I've test fit it and it looks good. My problem is the lip only came with 4 self-tapping screws and I'm trying to figure out the optimal placement for said screws.

I've searched high and low (before anyone gives me shit ) for a DIY or some install instructions, but there's nothing specific for the Mtech Pre-LCi 3d style lip spoiler, aka, this one:

I already have the 3M automotive moulding double-sided tape to use in conjunction with the screws. So, for those of you who have installed this ebay lip, what exactly did you do? Where did you put the screws? Anyone know of any useful guides or install instructions that I could refer to? Lastly, is it doable to install alone, or would a 2nd set of hands be recommended?

Things that normal people can usually do, I can NEVER do. Everything seems to be a bit more difficult for me, yay . I'm starting to wonder if taking the bumper off entirely might be my best option, allowing me to mount the lip to the bumper while it's off the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

3M double sided tape, and use the self tapping screws.

The double sided tape might seem like it won't, but trust me, it will especially if you use a few screws.

Put the screws towarspds the front of the car, not the rear. Look to put them close to where the oem bolts are under the front bumper.

I installed front splitters and just yesterday installed my cf spoiler... Both with 3m tape... Those things are rock solid and absolutely will not budge. Just prep the area well... Wash and clay the area, then use rubbing alcohol. )0(my front splitters reused the oem bolts under the front bumper along with the tape)
      05-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
3M double sided tape, and use the self tapping screws.

The double sided tape might seem like it won't, but trust me, it will especially if you use a few screws.

Put the screws towarspds the front of the car, not the rear. Look to put them close to where the oem bolts are under the front bumper.

I installed front splitters and just yesterday installed my cf spoiler... Both with 3m tape... Those things are rock solid and absolutely will not budge. Just prep the area well... Wash and clay the area, then use rubbing alcohol. )0(my front splitters reused the oem bolts under the front bumper along with the tape)
Think a buddy of mine is going to swing by either today or tomorrow after work to give me a hand. There are no holes in the lip to use as guides for installing the screws, so I need to decide where to best install them to ensure myself the best fit. I don't doubt the power of the 3M tape, just thinking I need another set of hands with me as I try to flex the lip for the best fitment. And to then ensure enough pressure is being applied to all parts of the lip for the tape to adhere, I just don't think one person will be enough.

Thanks for the input, bro!

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
How is the fitment and do you mind sharing where you got this? I want this type of lip in CF.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
How is the fitment and do you mind sharing where you got this? I want this type of lip in CF.
Fitment is pretty good, not perfect, but I wasn't expecting perfect considering the price when I bought it off eBay. Seller is xcess motors. Check them out!

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i View Post
Think a buddy of mine is going to swing by either today or tomorrow after work to give me a hand. There are no holes in the lip to use as guides for installing the screws, so I need to decide where to best install them to ensure myself the best fit. I don't doubt the power of the 3M tape, just thinking I need another set of hands with me as I try to flex the lip for the best fitment. And to then ensure enough pressure is being applied to all parts of the lip for the tape to adhere, I just don't think one person will be enough.

Thanks for the input, bro!
I would probably pre-drill small holes in the lip... smaller than the screws themselves. You don't want to crack the fiberglass or anything... not sure how thick it is.

Use something like toothpaste and put it on the underside of he bumper where you want the screws in small daps. then put the lip as you want it, without moving it around, then take it off... the toothpaste should have left dabs of toothpaste on the inside of the lip where you want to drill.

You can also use small blocks or wood, cardboard, etc to hold the lip up as you install if your buddy cant help you.

good luck.
      05-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I would probably pre-drill small holes in the lip... smaller than the screws themselves. You don't want to crack the fiberglass or anything... not sure how thick it is.

Use something like toothpaste and put it on the underside of he bumper where you want the screws in small daps. then put the lip as you want it, without moving it around, then take it off... the toothpaste should have left dabs of toothpaste on the inside of the lip where you want to drill.

You can also use small blocks or wood, cardboard, etc to hold the lip up as you install if your buddy cant help you.

good luck.
Thanks for the help, man. My buddy ended up coming over last night to give me a hand, and man am I glad he did. He used to work at a body shop so he knew exactly how to prep the lip to be mounted. After removing overspray (with razor and nail polish remover), we prepped the surfaces that would receive the tape with rubbing compound (which he said gets the paint slightly more tacky, allowing for better adhesion). With a good amount of 3M double-sided tape and the 4 self-tapping screws (2 on each side), we got it mounted in less than 30 minutes (including prep-time).

Like I said earlier, this is an $85 eBay lip. But I have to say, I'm very happy with how it looks and the fitment (while not perfect), is pretty damn good (at least, to the casual observer). Was after sunset when we finished, so the few photos I did take with my iPhone 6+ looked like turd, so I'll post some better photos once I get around to taking them.

Thanks again, everyone!

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Terrible photos from the night we mounted the lip:

Some better shots I took when I got home from work yesterday:

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Did it come paint matched for 85 bucks?!?! Sounds too good to be true!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Did it come paint matched for 85 bucks?!?! Sounds too good to be true!
Oh god no, hahahaha. Sorry if I misled you. The lip itself was only $85 shipped. Bought it at the end of last summer and decided to not have it painted and then immediately destroyed by the winter. So I kept it stored in the garage and had it painted a few weeks ago by a local body shop that did my body work a few years back (result of my car hitting a utility pole after I tried to avoid a deer).

The paint cost $150. So all in, I'm at $235. Not bad, if you ask me!

Appreciate 0