E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension refresh

03-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazkirby View Post
I replaced my shocks for track work at 140k. The rears were completely dead, as in little finger could push them down and absolutely no rebound. The fronts tool about 2 minute to rebound after being pushed down by my thumb.

The reason you may not have noticed a difference between 60k and 160k is either because you didn't take the car over a bumpy surface (this is where you notice the lack of rebound the most) , or the fact that at 60k shocks may be done too.

Problem is it's all subjective.. if you buy a car that has done 50k but majority of the journeys have been in potholes, vs a 100k car which has lived on a pristine A road, then chancea are the 100k will have better condition shocks. Likewise if your OEM shock is a budget brand, vs Bilstein or Sachs then again the quality will prevail in higher milage cars.
yeh,,its mainly speed humps that create premature wear on shocks/springs and other bushings etc...i have to drive over quite a few every day and they take a hammering,even though i drive over them at low speeds..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #24
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

My car clocked over the 100k mark so treated it to the B8’s, little firmer on the road but the car is much more planted! Has removed a hugh amount of boatyness out of my e91, 100% old shockers were past it!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:14 AM   #25
Mpow3r_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le mans E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
I've got B4S dampers on my e93, great upgrade for a daily and not harsh at all
Hi,
where did you course these from and do you know the difference between these and the normal B4?

Ta
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:19 AM   #26
Mpow3r_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le mans E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
My car clocked over the 100k mark so treated it to the B8’s, little firmer on the road but the car is much more planted! Has removed a hugh amount of boatyness out of my e91, 100% old shockers were past it!
Did you put the B8 dampers on your OEM sport springs or pair them with an aftermarket lowering spring?

How is it over rough surfaces? I know they will be firm but does it bottom out at all? What about with a few people in the car?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #27
bee-ma
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
Which other parts are you getting for the refresh? Arms and bushes? And more importantly which brands are the ones to go for (Meyle, Lemforder, Febi etc)?

I only ask as I want to do the same to mine when I swap my shocks for a set of B8s
So all my parts have arrived. I ordered from here: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ parts came from Germany.

All SACHS
Dampers front and rear,bump stops, top mounts bottom mounts and inner / outer mounts.

Then got Springs from Eibach.
This website looks insanely cheap. Are the parts trustworthy?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I've bought from onlinecarparts (Autodoc) before, all genuine parts.
      10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #29
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

also bought from their(germany) quslity parts i bought..all febi
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #30
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpow3r_UK View Post
Did you put the B8 dampers on your OEM sport springs or pair them with an aftermarket lowering spring?

How is it over rough surfaces? I know they will be firm but does it bottom out at all? What about with a few people in the car?
Thanks
Late reply sorry!

I kept the standard springs as i do some towing with mine and didnt really want or need a lower car, its honestly such an improvement! over rough surfaces yeh its firm but honestly doesn't feel much firmer than what the standard shocks did.

As for bottoming out, my standard shocks did this on a hump back bridge near me, was horrible, same speed with the b8's and this is no longer a issue, it must be the high speed dampning side of them thats improved as the car is certainly much more planted at speed and on the b roads where as low speed ride quality hasn't been ruined!

Most places recommend putting the eibachs on with these dampers but it will be fine with the msport springs
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 04:05 AM   #31
stampylove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d lci 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
I've had Koni FSD on for 30k miles. With EPK springs for the last 15k miles when a rear spring snapped at 115k miles. My car is an SE. This combo has transformed my car and made me decide to keep it. Light years ahead of the standard out the factory rubbish. I also ditched the RFTs early on and am running ContiSport5 now. I've had this car for 10years now so understand it reasonable well. The ride is still firm but with a controlled compliance over the UK's knackered roads. No brake dive or accelerate squat. It's 90% there which for the modest outlay - I'm very happy with. I still have hydraulic steering. Engine is remapped, deflapped, intake leaks and DPF issues resolved. Will do 50+mpg on a long run. Would be real sad to see it go now.
Hi I'm looking to upgrade my e91 SE at some point and would like to know how much firmer is the ride compared to your old set up? Our roads in Manchester are shocking for pot holes plus I carry some pretty heavy loads around in my car. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 04:51 AM   #32
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I upgraded my E91 SE touring with Eibach and Bilstein B4 (the MSport version of the B4, B4 come for either SE or MSport).

Certainly transformed the ride. It is firmer, but not like a chaved out Corsa with no suspension. I've had no issues with speed humps etc. The cornering is hugely improved, as I the stability at speed. I also removed the runflats for normal tyres which did help the ride, but I did this before the suspension change. I imagine going back to runflats would give a ride that's too crashy though.

Just to add I did not change the anti roll bars to to the msport ones I kept the SE ones. So if you do convert springs and dampers to eibach type set up you will still get somebody roll. However it's still a million times better than the SE set up. I would have changed the antiroll bars, but that would mean dropping the rear subframe to fit it.

Also I decided to fit the springs and dampers myself, I did it in two afternoons, first I changed the 4 springs and the front 2 dampers. Then the next afternoon I did the rear dampers. Why because the first time you take the trim panels out of the boot to get to the top mount kit on the shock can take a long time. Once I did one side and figured out how to do it the second side too about 20 mins to dismantle. Changing the actual shock once all the trim is out the way is a 5 to 10 minutes job tops and very easy. Do buy new top mounts and bump stops regardless of milage as the are cheap.

You will want to change the bump stops anyway as the SE ones will be too long, the msport ones fit fine with no trimming needed. I got genuine Sachs bump stops when I did mine.

Hope this helps. Job was not too tricky and I did it myself.

Last edited by Silver Streek; 01-27-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #33
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Lads, I'm sorry to be a newbie in this great chat but whilst browsing its exactly got to do with the issue I've had today.

I was literally sat in my car parked before I got out and walked home, literally heard a loud snap/bang. I get out the car and the front left of the car is quite slammed to the floor. Next day jacked it up, I can see the shock absorber is gone. But can I expect any other damage here? What else could be affected.

Car has done 105k miles now so it sounds like about the right time for this to happen I guess. Should I change them all in case?

Cheers and once again, sorry for being a noob.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #34
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post
Lads, I'm sorry to be a newbie in this great chat but whilst browsing its exactly got to do with the issue I've had today.

I was literally sat in my car parked before I got out and walked home, literally heard a loud snap/bang. I get out the car and the front left of the car is quite slammed to the floor. Next day jacked it up, I can see the shock absorber is gone. But can I expect any other damage here? What else could be affected.

Car has done 105k miles now so it sounds like about the right time for this to happen I guess. Should I change them all in case?

Cheers and once again, sorry for being a noob.
Hi,

If you heard a snap and the car has dropped significantly then you've likely snapped a spring... If it was just the shock then the ride height would be pretty much the same as it is the spring that defines height, not the shock.

I would imagine the entire setup is well worn by now but that depends on how the car has been driven throughout its life. Given your current situation I would refresh all four corners, even refreshing with stock equipment will likely transform the car but it's a good opportunity to upgrade....

If you decide to do the lot then I fully recommend you change your top/bottom suspension mounts etc... As this can be done at the same time and shouldn't be any additional labour cost as the suspension will be off anyway.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
stampylove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d lci 2010

[QUOTE=Silver Streek;24296468]I upgraded my E91 SE touring with Eibach and Bilstein B4 (the MSport version of the B4, B4 come for either SE or MSport).

Certainly transformed the ride. It is firmer, but not like a chaved out Corsa with no suspension. I've had no issues with speed humps etc. The cornering is hugely improved, as I the stability at speed. I also removed the runflats for normal tyres which did help the ride, but I did this before the suspension change. I imagine going back to runflats would give a ride that's too crashy though.

Just to add I did not change the anti roll bars to to the msport ones I kept the SE ones. So if you do convert springs and dampers to eibach type set up you will still get somebody roll. However it's still a million times better than the SE set up. I would have changed the antiroll bars, but that would mean dropping the rear subframe to fit it.

Also I decided to fit the springs and dampers myself, I did it in two afternoons, first I changed the 4 springs and the front 2 dampers. Then the next afternoon I did the rear dampers. Why because the first time you take the trim panels out of the boot to get to the top mount kit on the shock can take a long time. Once I did one side and figured out how to do it the second side too about 20 mins to dismantle. Changing the actual shock once all the trim is out the way is a 5 to 10 minutes job tops and very easy. Do buy new top mounts and bump stops regardless of milage as the are cheap.

You will want to change the bump stops anyway as the SE ones will be too long, the msport ones fit fine with no trimming needed. I got genuine Sachs bump stops when I did mine.

Hope this helps. Job was not too tricky and I did it myself.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info, sorry acknowledging so late but for some reason didn't get a notification. This is something I'm going to do in the next few months.
Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #36
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-ma View Post
This website looks insanely cheap. Are the parts trustworthy?
been a while.... Just seen this.

Well, I am still running on this set up and its very good. very pleased.
Appreciate 0