E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bad news since my first post :/

08-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Bad news since my first post :/

So I remember posting about servicing my E90 330d M-Sport Pre LCI 2006. What amazing, detailed responses you guys gave and I could not be more appreciative.

I had the service booked in later that week and unfortunately on a rainy day, some idiot breaks intensely hard at a green light and I was right behind him. Long story short, my front end is abit effed and sadly it's all my fault in the eyes of insurance even when I pushed the agenda that he break checked my ass.

His 04 plate Mini Cooper literally only had a cracked back bumper and dented his exhaust a tad but I'm sure he's trying to get paid out and got injury claims to hand in.

However my car suffered more-so, Bonnet, Headlights and Front Bumper and my Slam Panel & Rad got screwed.

I'm in the process of writing the car off and buying it back as the engine is still sound and I love the car. I'm looking at front ends at the moment and I had a few questions.

Would I be able to put a M-Sport LCI front end on my car? Would it fit, my side-arches are totally intact.

So if I sourced a LCI M-Sport Front end(bonnet,bumper,headlights,rad + slam panel) would that fit directly onto my Pre LCI M-Sport?

I've asked a few people and got mixed responses, curious to know the facts and if I could LCI facelift my car whilst I'm sadly car-less and looking at my lovely machine broken on my drive everyday
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post

I had the service booked in later that week and unfortunately on a rainy day, some idiot breaks intensely hard at a green light and I was right behind him. Long story short, my front end is abit effed and sadly it's all my fault in the eyes of insurance even when I pushed the agenda that he break checked my ass.
The exact same thing happened to me years ago in my old GTI. The car in front broke hard so I tried to convince the insurers and the police (and myself) that the car in front was at fault. But the reality is it was my fault because if I wasn't driving too close I wouldn't have hit her. It's perfectly logical that insurers don't dispute liability when you're the car behind. If you're driving more than a car length behind the car in front and at a reasonable speed, and you have functional brakes, then you will be able to avoid the car in front no matter how hard they brake. In other words it's a risk that is entirely within the control of the driver behind, no matter what the motives of the driver in front.

To answer the question, an LCI bumper won't fit a pre-LCI car, or not easily anyway. Why not just source pre-LCI parts?

Last edited by CitizenKane; 08-29-2018 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      08-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

driving to close to the car in front,,fact..my pet hate..hope ypou get it fixed though
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
driving to close to the car in front,,fact..my pet hate
Mine too, hence the slightly sanctimonious tone of my post above...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Two seconds is the recommended distance to be following the car in front, my old driving instructer used to constantly tell me "only a fool breaks the two second rule"
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 08-29-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Two seconds is the recommended distance to be following the car in front, my old driving instructer used to constantly tell me "only a fool brakes the two second rule"
yeh at 30-40 its more at high speed
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Mine too, hence the slightly sanctimonious tone of my post above...
yeh sorry,,i just skim read your post
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
The exact same thing happened to me years ago in my old GTI. The car in front broke hard so I tried to convince the insurers and the police (and myself) that the car in front was at fault. But the reality is it was my fault because if I wasn't driving too close I wouldn't have hit her. It's perfectly logical that insurers don't dispute liability when you're the car behind. If you're driving more than a car length behind the car in front and at a reasonable speed, and you have functional brakes, then you will be able to avoid the car in front no matter how hard they brake. In other words it's a risk that is entirely within the control of the driver behind, no matter what the motives of the driver in front.

To answer the question, an LCI bumper won't fit a pre-LCI car, or not easily anyway. Why not just source pre-LCI parts?

Thats why I'm writing in a defeatist tone, I've understood and recognised my error with-in other errors and must learn from this. My first ever incident, hopefully the last.

But thanks for also replying to the question, I have sourced a front end but its silver atm. I'm hoping a Le Mans Blue front end pops up on ebay or a breakers to save the cost of full re-sprays that the silver will need. Just in the insurance process and repair part atm, thought if I could do a front conversion now would be the best time to. But not now ofcourse.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thats why I'm writing in a defeatist tone, I've understood and recognised my error with-in other errors and must learn from this. My first ever incident, hopefully the last.

But thanks for also replying to the question, I have sourced a front end but its silver atm. I'm hoping a Le Mans Blue front end pops up on ebay or a breakers to save the cost of full re-sprays that the silver will need. Just in the insurance process and repair part atm, thought if I could do a front conversion now would be the best time to. But not now ofcourse.
keep checking facebook..335d owners club and owners group,,you will have to join though,plenty of bits for sale and i know there is a bmw proper after market front end (performance) about £300 i think,,but sure its in black
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:05 AM   #10
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

I see. To be fair now is probably the best time to do a front-end conversion if you need to replace front-end parts anyway. In fact now that I think about it the main reason the LCI bumper is a pain to fit to a pre-LCI car is because it doesn't fit all the surrounding bits like the bonnet and headlights, but if you're replacing all of those as well then maybe it would be easier. I do know the headlight washer location is different on LCI cars though, so not sure how to get around that.

I'm certain there is at least one DIY/build thread on this forum showing how to do this.
Appreciate 0