E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Post a picture of your motorcycle

08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #375
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
You have to remember that Harley's here in the UK are VERY expensive compared to Jap sportsbikes etc.
My mate sold his V-Rod while he was stationed in Israel....he got nearly twice what he paid for it. And it was stock. And the buyer was thoroughly excited to have found such a "deal"

Additionally, if he could have legally sold his Toyota Tacoma...he had people offering him 50k cash for it!

Really makes me realize how cheap we get shit in the USA, compared to the rest of the world.
      08-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #376
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Nice looking bikes! RC51 is one of the all time greats

Needs less chicken strips

Needs less chicken strips
Guess this guy is doing what he does best.

Hating-
1. When one puts down the success or fortune of others due to jealousy.

2. Jealousy and anger rolled up in one

3. To engage in ridicule and mockery for amusement, synonym:

Been to the California superbike school. Couple of times. Rode with and learned from some of the best. Actually ran some of the fastest lap times in my group this past May @ NJMP.

On another note i prolly only had my S1000RR for about 1 month and maybe had a few hundred miles on it at the time of the picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #377
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Guess this guy is doing what he does best.

Hating-
1. When one puts down the success or fortune of others due to jealousy.

2. Jealousy and anger rolled up in one

3. To engage in ridicule and mockery for amusement, synonym:

Been to the California superbike school. Couple of times. Rode with and learned from some of the best. Actually ran some of the fastest lap times in my group this past May @ NJMP.

On another note i prolly only had my S1000RR for about 1 month and maybe had a few hundred miles on it at the time of the picture.
I guess this one can't go to bed Post some lap times, then you can talk.

I have no need to hate, because I've been there and done that. I went to CSBK when they still ran R6s. You're not special, THOUSANDS of people have been to that school

Last edited by Digital.James; 08-09-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #378
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Did someone say Steve McQueen?

DO WANT!

And honestly I feel like even the females....look for something that stands out as different.

Even a Ducati can easily look like just another crotch rocket in many peoples minds.

Show up on a one-off cafe build...or something really retro vintage, and everyone will be staring....not just those who know bikes.

Look at it like this. I'm in Spain now. BMWs are a dime a dozen. Most Spanish wont give you a second glance. However the guys that brought American Muscle over like Challengers, Camaros, Mustangs, or even like Jeeps....they get stared at, questioned, people want pictures with the cars, girls want to go for rides, etc.
I have guys with 20k dollar Harleys that roll up and want to talk to me about my Triumph. Girls even more so. Seems like everyone loves em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Sounds good to me... oh BTW, I like your avatar PIC... AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!! ( me sounding off with a loud and thunderous "AIRBORNE" ) lol
Haha, all the way!

Last edited by Digital.James; 08-09-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #379
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I guess this one can't go to bed Post some lap times, then you can talk.

I have no need to hate, because I've been there and done that. I went to CSBK when they still ran R6s. You're not special, THOUSANDS of people have been to that school
Please stop posting so much. You look like you have no life 2500+ posts and your not even a vendor. LOL!!!

That pic doesnt even make sense. You must be old!!

Last edited by hova00; 08-10-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #380
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierya View Post
www.chinagadgetland.comp
.....no thanks. Ill stick to my GoPro and Contour HD....
      08-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #381
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Please stop posting so much. You look like you have no life 2500+ posts and your not even a vendor. LOL!!!

That pic doesnt even make sense. You must be old!!
still waiting for the lap times...

if you don't get it, you just won't get it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #382
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Something like this perhaps.....??

sort of but more black

like this

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #383
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

next year i shall have this. and hopefully not kill myself. the last time i rode a bike it was a dirt bike.. similar but i was dodging inanimate objects like trees and shrubs instead of 2Ton+ steel deathmobiles.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #384
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
It's probably a UK-USA divide situation.

Generally, I've found girls/women in the UK are generally a bit 'meh' regarding modern bikes (especially sports bikes which are considered very anti-social in a lot of the UK)......whereas, a vintage bike has that 'Steve McQueen' coolness attraction factor and a Harley is usually all chrome and shiney and with often comes the WOW, you have a Harley response...... and ping goes the nicker elastic. You have to remember that Harley's here in the UK are VERY expensive compared to Jap sportsbikes etc., and even Duc's to a certain extent.
That makes sense. I can understand the difference in culture varies depending on demographic and location. I am sure the Harley gets the recognition it diserves, beause I have seen some amazing Harleys around.

Either way, as long as the rider is enjoying whatever it is they decided to go with, that is the most important thing. To be honest, when I was shopping for a new bike two months ago, I was on the fence for about a week trying to decide if I should get a cruiser for the first time, or go with another sport bike. Ultimately, I went with another sport bike but there are some overall great cafe racers, cruisers, dual sport etc motorcyles out there it can be difficult to choose which what to go sometimes!

Oh yeah, just be careful where your head is when the nicker elastic gives way... if your not careful you can lose an eye! haha

Be safe on the roads.
      08-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #385
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
sort of but more black

like this

That Harley you are scoping out for next year is AWESOME!! What an amazing macine that is. That little creature you have running under the pic is funny as well.

use patience and get your bike when the time is right for you. When i first got into motorcycles, I knew I wanted a sportbike, and I still love the way they look, move and sound, but as the years have gone by, I am liking the cruisers more and more each day....

Nothing wrong with owning two bikes.... is there...? I'm gonna go broke if I keep this up...
      08-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #386
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

I prefer the Forty-Eight myself if you are going for Retro Vintage looks....

If it werent for the 2 gallon tank giving you only about a 50 mile range I would highly consider one!

08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #387
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

so what are things to look out for when buying a bike used? i'm not sure yet if i'll buy used or new but since i'm such a newb with bikes i have no idea what is considered too many miles, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #388
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Well, try to take someone who has been riding a while with you if you can.

I have no experience with buying used cruisers, but with sport bikes, someone with an attention to detail can always spot out some "tells" of a beaten up, poorly maintained, or crashed bike. Granted, if the seller knows what they are doing, you can make just about any bike look and sound and act like there is nothing wrong with it and was driven conservatively.

Equally important as the bike itself, you need to evaluate the guy that is selling it. Use your judge of character. Look around his garage. Is he neat and organized? Does he look like an avid do-it-yourselfer? Does he have an immaculately detailed car? Some of this may seem overkill but really, these things translate into how he treats his toy and maintains it. Ask him questions. Not necessarily to get answers, but to see how he responds. Simple stuff even can cause someone who has never changed their oil to stammer. So how often have you changed the oil on this bike? Did you do it yourself? What kind of oil and filters have you been using? What weight oil?

I know this seems ridiculous, but if simple questions like these are met with hesitation, stuttering, generic responses (like he just uses a simple brand name like "Repsol" and cant tell you what the weight specs on oil are) they are signs of someone lying, stalling, or trying to cover things.

As for physically on the bike itself...check out the condition of the tires, how much tread is left. Look at the bar ends (the ends of the handlebars) any scratches on these are a tell tale sign that the bike has been at least dropped, same as towards the bottom of the engine casing. Look towards the very bottom of the engine, and see if there is oil gunk down there showing that the bike may have been leaking before. Start the bike from cold, and listen to it as it warms up. An unusual noise is an unusual noise, doesnt matter if you dont know bikes. If it sounds out of the ordinary it probably is (exception of bikes like the older Ducatis with dry clutches). If you have your license and feel comfortable test riding it, take it out, note how it shifts. Does it shift smooth as it should, does the gearbox make unusually loud noises. Hammer on the throttle in 3rd or 4th gear (away from the owner of course lol) and note how it accelerates and sounds. Pay attention for hesitation, surging, sputtering etc. If you dont feel comfortable testing it, bring a friend that has been riding a while and knows what he is doing and have him do it.

A lot of it is common sense. Whatever brand/model you settle on, do your research. Find out what common problems are and what the signs of those problems are. Ask questions. Question every scrape, mark, or abnormality.

In the end it comes down to a gut instinct more than anything. Unfortunately its not like buying a car where you can somewhat easily look up vehicle history, accident reports, service records and all that.
      08-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #389
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
no idea what is considered too many miles, etc.
This is a very conditional thing. And will ultimately be what you feel comfortable with. If a bike is maintained and taken care of...these motors can last a long, long time. I personally know someone with a Honda F4i Sportbike, that has over 200,000 miles on the ORIGINAL motor, and has never had a rebuild. He also has frequently tracked this bike. But as I said the magic mileage number is always a floating criteria, which you base on feelings that you develop from inspecting the bike and owner as I outlined above.

Quote:
i'm not sure yet if i'll buy used or new
Always a personal choice, but Ill say this. Unless you have money literally burning holes in your pockets...always buy used.

There is no such thing as a "deal" on a new bike. When you buy new all you are doing is a favor for the guy you end up selling it to for 1/2 to 3/4 of the price you paid for it, and taking that major depreciation hit for them.

^Speaking from experience.

Now, if your financial situation is such that you dont have to worry whatsoever about money, then buy new, used, custom, or whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by .b0link; 08-10-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #390
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Always a personal choice, but Ill say this. Unless you have money literally burning holes in your pockets...always buy used.

There is no such thing as a "deal" on a new bike. When you buy new all you are doing is a favor for the guy you end up selling it to for 1/2 to 3/4 of the price you paid for it, and taking that major depreciation hit for them.

^Speaking from experience.

Now, if your financial situation is such that you dont have to worry whatsoever about money, then buy new, used, custom, or whatever makes you happy.
Well I'm no millionaire - but the bike i was leaning towards (Harley Iron 883 sportster) Is about $11K brand new - and a used one in good shape ranges from $7-9K - so there's not a huge difference in price. Granted it will lose value if i buy new but I will have piece of mind that it wasn't abused.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #391
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
sort of but more black

like this

Nice, but that's not a Cafe Racer 'style'
      08-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #392
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I prefer the Forty-Eight myself if you are going for Retro Vintage looks....

If it werent for the 2 gallon tank giving you only about a 50 mile range I would highly consider one!

I agree, Forty Eight is a nice bike, I test rode one last summer, and was tempted by one as I don't do much in the way of distance riding these days. They are very popular over here now, and most go the way of retro 'bobber' looks with lots of vintage style bits

Most people over here, swop out the tiny peanut tank for the larger capacity peanut tank from the Nightster.
      08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #393
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice, but that's not a Cafe Racer 'style'
okay so sue me. I guess i like the shorty handlebars. Prefer the big comfy seat over the traditional flat seat of the cafe racers.

This was my original inspiration:

More pics/info here: http://caferacerspecial.blogspot.com...er-bobber.html
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #394
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
okay so sue me. I guess i like the shorty handlebars. Prefer the big comfy seat over the traditional flat seat of the cafe racers.

This was my original inspiration:

Again.............very nice

But that's more traditional 'bobber' style, it's not a 'cafe racer'.

Cafe racers look like the one I posted earlier, Manx style tank & seat, dropped bars or more usually clip-ons, and rear-sets.
      08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #395
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

ah well i guess i was misinformed. but yea thats def what im going for. my girlfriends dad is big into motorcycles and is going to help me find the right one and will probably teach me how to ride the damn thing too.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #396
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ah well i guess i was misinformed.
Cafe Racer was a term created in late 1950's/early 1960's United Kingdom, when lads (often referred to as Ton-Up boys) would emulate the look of the Isle of Man TT style racing bikes (Manx Norton, BSA Goldstars etc) by fitting clip-ons, rear sets, Manx style seats & tanks etc., to their BSA A10's, Triumph T100/T110's, Norton 88's etc and meet up at transport cafe's around the UK (such as the famous Ace Cafe, Busy Bee, Johnsons etc), and often race each other to other nearby cafes - hence the term Cafe Racer.