E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Charging Fault 335i

08-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Charging Fault 335i

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! DR JEKL PICKED IT, IT THREW THE SERPANTINE BELT OFF THE ALTERNATOR. I DODGED ANOTHER BULLET THERE, EASY FIX.
Hey guys. I need some help tracking down an issue.
Ive never done a burnout in the 335i before and thought id give her a little bit of a whip around now that it has an LSD fitted.
So, i did the sickest whip around you have ever seen in your life (like Summernats burnout king style) i then drove up the road casually and notice a big RED battery light on the dash, saying "charge fault". I now have NO power steering at all??
I put a multi meter on the battery and does not a appear to be charging while the car is running. I checked a few of the fuses in the glovebox but didnt have time to pull out every single fuse and check (Bmw's fuse box diagram is shit to say the least).
Has anyone encountered a similar issue (red battery light on dash & no power steering?)
Im getting fault code 2E97 which is apparently alternator? Does anyone know the exact location of where the alternator is fused?
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim

Last edited by bmwheath; 08-03-2015 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

Lol nice work. Came here expected to be bored and got a burnout story instead. 10/10, hope you figure out the fix ASAP.
      08-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Have you had the battery recall done?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Have you had the battery recall done?
No idea ink?? Its an 07' model that i bought 2nd hand, how long was the recall for??
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBMW View Post
Lol nice work. Came here expected to be bored and got a burnout story instead. 10/10, hope you figure out the fix ASAP.
Well im actually surprised that the car is still in 1 piece after that whip around! The G forces it must have pulled should have been enough to pull the car in 2. I guess that the G force has caused an electrical connection to pull loose somewhere???
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

That's unfortunate! I get that burnout temptation sometimes to but always chicken out and today you've strengthen my stance against it. I really hope though for you that it's something of a minor issue. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
That's unfortunate! I get that burnout temptation sometimes to but always chicken out and today you've strengthen my stance against it. I really hope though for you that it's something of a minor issue. Good luck!
Yes i advise against it. Bmw's are not meant to do anything but drive in a strait line at 60km/h. If you do anything slightly (fun) your BMW will instantly burst into flames causing death & destruction!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Sounds like an alternator problem if its not charging the battery. I would put the multimeter across the alternator output while the car is running. If measures good, then probably a bad electrical connection somewhere. If measurment bad, then your alternator is toast.

Does your car have servotronic (speed sensitive power steering)? I beleive its an electrical pump that moves the hydraulic fluid, might get shut off to conserve battery power if the car detects that it can't charge
      08-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Sounds like an alternator problem if its not charging the battery. I would put the multimeter across the alternator output while the car is running. If measures good, then probably a bad electrical connection somewhere. If measurment bad, then your alternator is toast.

Does your car have servotronic (speed sensitive power steering)? I beleive its an electrical pump that moves the hydraulic fluid, might get shut off to conserve battery power if the car detects that it can't charge
Thanks mate. Yes ive checked the alternator and its not charging. My car must be servotronic because the steering lose occured at the exact same time the red battery fault light came on the dash.
Im thinking ive blown the alternator fuse (i dont know where it is??), or a wiring plug or something has come loose. Possibly the battery management block thing in the boot could be the issue?? Battery all seems tight
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Lol

My guess is a possible loose battery connection, but that shouldnt cause the PS to drop out?

Have you checked your belts (may have slipped a belt or snapped a belt. hence no PS and a charge fault due to the alternator belt??)

But hey I have no experience personally with chucking burnouts and dealing with the aftermath!

That battery cable recall was for certain year models late 07 or 08 (cant remember) but if you call your local friendly bmw dealer and quote your vin number they'll inform you if there are any outstanding recalls on your car.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath View Post
Thanks mate. Yes ive checked the alternator and its not charging. My car must be servotronic because the steering lose occured at the exact same time the red battery fault light came on the dash.
Im thinking ive blown the alternator fuse (i dont know where it is??), or a wiring plug or something has come loose. Possibly the battery management block thing in the boot could be the issue?? Battery all seems tight
Did you measure directly across the alternator terminals or just across the battery terminals in the boot?
      08-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Did you measure directly across the alternator terminals or just across the battery terminals in the boot?
I did both battery & alternator. Its reading around 12.4v and slowly dropping charge as the headlight etc are on. Definately no charge coming from alternator. I might need to pull it apart and get into the big black electrical connector box under the inlet manifold, or im thinking a fuse but have no idea which one is related to the alternator?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Lol

My guess is a possible loose battery connection, but that shouldnt cause the PS to drop out?

Have you checked your belts (may have slipped a belt or snapped a belt. hence no PS and a charge fault due to the alternator belt??)

But hey I have no experience personally with chucking burnouts and dealing with the aftermath!

That battery cable recall was for certain year models late 07 or 08 (cant remember) but if you call your local friendly bmw dealer and quote your vin number they'll inform you if there are any outstanding recalls on your car.

Good luck
DR JEKL i owe you a beer mate. Its slipped the serpantine belt off the alternator, it would have taken me days to spot that as you cannot see in there!
Fancy throwing a belt after doing a 2 second donut.. Even my old 40yr old torana wouldn't throw a belt, so much for "germany engeneering"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:07 AM   #14
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Nice work, glad to hear you got it sorted. I guess that explains why the power steering wasn't working.
      08-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #15
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes i advise against it. Bmw's are not meant to do anything but drive in a strait line at 60km/h. If you do anything slightly (fun) your BMW will instantly burst into flames causing death & destruction!!
This is true lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:22 AM   #16
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

happy days!

But its weird the belt slipped... Any traces of an oil leak?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:55 AM   #17
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
happy days!

But its weird the belt slipped... Any traces of an oil leak?
I havn't put the belt back on yet as i was busy today, but i was thinking there must be a cause of why the belt came off in the first place too.. I will inspect tonight
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #18
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I havn't put the belt back on yet as i was busy today, but i was thinking there must be a cause of why the belt came off in the first place too.. I will inspect tonight
I believe that the common rocker cover gasket oil leak can cause the belt to stretch/crumble due to oil degradation over time and can actually snap.

So yeah just as a heads up, give it a good going over!

What model Torry do you have? Always loved the XU1's, albeit if I was to have a holden muscle car in my collection it would be a HT/HK/HG GTS monaro

My uncle had a blue SLR5000, with some big chevoits and bf eagers. I was going to do it up as my 1st car but mum wouldnt let me store it in her backyard or let me work in it in a 'high HP' deathtrap 308 with a 3speed AT lol it would have been lucky to pull the skin off a bowl of custard...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
I believe that the common rocker cover gasket oil leak can cause the belt to stretch/crumble due to oil degradation over time and can actually snap.

So yeah just as a heads up, give it a good going over!

What model Torry do you have? Always loved the XU1's, albeit if I was to have a holden muscle car in my collection it would be a HT/HK/HG GTS monaro

My uncle had a blue SLR5000, with some big chevoits and bf eagers. I was going to do it up as my 1st car but mum wouldnt let me store it in her backyard or let me work in it in a 'high HP' deathtrap 308 with a 3speed AT lol it would have been lucky to pull the skin off a bowl of custard...
I have a very small rocker cover leak, more like a fine mist, doesnt look like its causing a problem with the belt though.
Yeah i have a little XU1 in mint condition, red one, i love it to bit, struggles doing 100km's on the hwy reving at like 4000rpm lol.. I love the SLR's, my next torana with be an LX SLR with some insane 800-900hp motor, gotta go all out lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
bmwheath
Rep

Also love the HK GTS Monaro's, what a sexy looking car! My farther inlaw bought one brand new, it was a 350 chev bathurst model.. There now worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #21
robsta813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Reviving an old thread here, but a similar thing just happened to me today and I am hoping I can fix this before my hour commute back home.

On my way in to work this morning, I experienced the following codes (2DED: Power Management and 2E97: Generator) and Shadow Codes: 2FCA and 2FDA shown through my MHD tablet. Car is FBO 09 E92 335i. Currently running MHD E40 latest version.

Battery was replaced and programmed 2 months ago. The car continued driving, however the "Battery Terminal" light came on and the steering wheel became instantly tough while trying to turn. Luckily I was only a minute out from work when this happened, however as I pulled inside the parking lot, I had to manually turn the steering wheel with great effort to park and it was extremely difficult to maneuver. It seemed as if though there was a "complete loss" of power steering.

I am hoping someone is able to help provide some insight or direction as to what this may be. I've done some research already trying to self-diagnosis, however I can't seem to pin point as my check-engine light did not appear nor was there reduced power. Serpentine belt slipping off the alternator? Loose connection in the fuse box? Alternator itself?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta813 View Post
Reviving an old thread here, but a similar thing just happened to me today and I am hoping I can fix this before my hour commute back home.

On my way in to work this morning, I experienced the following codes (2DED: Power Management and 2E97: Generator) and Shadow Codes: 2FCA and 2FDA shown through my MHD tablet. Car is FBO 09 E92 335i. Currently running MHD E40 latest version.

Battery was replaced and programmed 2 months ago. The car continued driving, however the "Battery Terminal" light came on and the steering wheel became instantly tough while trying to turn. Luckily I was only a minute out from work when this happened, however as I pulled inside the parking lot, I had to manually turn the steering wheel with great effort to park and it was extremely difficult to maneuver. It seemed as if though there was a "complete loss" of power steering.

I am hoping someone is able to help provide some insight or direction as to what this may be. I've done some research already trying to self-diagnosis, however I can't seem to pin point as my check-engine light did not appear nor was there reduced power. Serpentine belt slipping off the alternator? Loose connection in the fuse box? Alternator itself?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your input!
Probably actually almost certainly the same issue as heathy, only way to know forsure is to take a look. If the belts snapped and shredded I'd avoid driving the car. There have been reported cases of the belt being pulled into the motor. how common is it? who knows... but is it worth the risk?
Appreciate 0