E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pothole - Warning Lights, Bent Rim

04-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Pothole - Warning Lights, Bent Rim

Hit a pothole really hard today with right front. A few seconds later I got these warning lights:

When I got home I checked and, of course, bent rim . . .

Brake pads are new, a bit less than 5,000 miles on them. Rotors only about 10,000, so I'm figuring something got knocked loose or off kilter when I hit the pothole. Anyone experienced this and have suggestions of what to check/look for? Wear sensor is on the other side, IIRC, so not likely to be that?

When I put these tires and wheels on exactly a year ago, I agonized between 17s or 18s. I went with the 18s because, of course, bigger, but also because the 18s were actually cheaper than the 17s (same wheel, but retailer was dropping the 18 size option - of course, now I cannot get a replacement 18 from that retailer). But I am wondering whether I should just admit that the quality of the roads and the fact that this is my daily driver make 17s more sensible. Over the past few weeks, I've hit potholes a number of times and been lucky until today.

Now, how to get "She who usually no longer asks questions when boxes of car parts arrive" to not ask questions when new wheels and tires arrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

To get some better help on this forum, try reading the CC-ID error codes from the driver's seat of your car. You access these from the "Check Control" menu using the stalk. Here's a link to help you: http://mr-fix.info/bmw-cc-id-codes-f...ning-messages/ Once you have the CC-ID codes, you will know (a little more specifically) what is wrong with your car and what to go about checking and fixing.

Are the wheels in question aftermarket? I'd stay away from all but a few trusted brands of aftermarket wheels for our cars, especially if you like the larger 18" size. The cheap ones bend almost immediately, and you can bet on it ruining your day when you hit another pothole. Try looking for a set of used OEM wheels; pretty much anything that came off of an E90 will also fit your E90, and in my experience, the OEM ones are the best at resisting bends and cracks. (It must have something to do with the fact that they are heavy as boat anchors.) I personally have a set of 18" Style 195 wheels that have survived a few deep potholes and still hold air.

I hope that helped. Good luck!
      04-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
To get some better help on this forum, try reading the CC-ID error codes from the driver's seat of your car. You access these from the "Check Control" menu using the stalk. Here's a link to help you: http://mr-fix.info/bmw-cc-id-codes-f...ning-messages/ Once you have the CC-ID codes, you will know (a little more specifically) what is wrong with your car and what to go about checking and fixing.

Are the wheels in question aftermarket? I'd stay away from all but a few trusted brands of aftermarket wheels for our cars, especially if you like the larger 18" size. The cheap ones bend almost immediately, and you can bet on it ruining your day when you hit another pothole. Try looking for a set of used OEM wheels; pretty much anything that came off of an E90 will also fit your E90, and in my experience, the OEM ones are the best at resisting bends and cracks. (It must have something to do with the fact that they are heavy as boat anchors.) I personally have a set of 18" Style 195 wheels that have survived a few deep potholes and still hold air.

I hope that helped. Good luck!
Yes, that was my plan for this morning and it just confirmed the warning light - CC-ID 71 – Brake Pads Worn

I will have to put it up and pull the wheels and see if anything appears out of place. Maybe just diassembling/reassembling will put things right (hope, hope, hope). Company this weekend along with Easter and birthday celebrations but I am off all next week so I can deal with it then.

As for wheels, yes they are aftermarket. The bent one is holding air and the distortion is not too bad. These wheels are not worth enough to justify a $150 - 200 repair.

Last edited by K9Leader; 04-19-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The front sensor is on the left front wheel, opposite of the wheel that hit the pot hole. Did the right rear also hit the pot hole? Also, check the CBS, it should tell you which axle the pad wear icon is for.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The front sensor is on the left front wheel, opposite of the wheel that hit the pot hole. Did the right rear also hit the pot hole? Also, check the CBS, it should tell you which axle the pad wear icon is for.
Right rear did, but, of course, not nearly as sharply. I will put it up on the Quick Jack tonight or tomorrow morning and check everything. I might just end up changing out the rear pads anyway - they were on the car when I got it 10,000 miles ago, were almost new but are the stock type pads. I've already got a set of Akebonos ready to go. Also, have new rotors but I think those are still pretty good.

What is the "CBS"?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
Right rear did, but, of course, not nearly as sharply. I will put it up on the Quick Jack tonight or tomorrow morning and check everything. I might just end up changing out the rear pads anyway - they were on the car when I got it 10,000 miles ago, were almost new but are the stock type pads. I've already got a set of Akebonos ready to go. Also, have new rotors but I think those are still pretty good.

What is the "CBS"?
Condition Based Service system.... Have you read the owner's manual?

It could be the rear pad sensor was about to break the second wire loop and the shock of the pothole broke it, which triggered the pad wear icon.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Condition Based Service system.... Have you read the owner's manual?

It could be the rear pad sensor was about to break the second wire loop and the shock of the pothole broke it, which triggered the pad wear icon.
I am fairly new to BMWs and not familiar with that acronym. Searching the manual for "CBS" did not get any hits. Today was a busy day and I did not have the chance to comb through the manual so I thought I would take a shortcut and ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
I am fairly new to BMWs and not familiar with that acronym. Searching the manual for "CBS" did not get any hits. Today was a busy day and I did not have the chance to comb through the manual so I thought I would take a shortcut and ask.
Look under "Maintenance", it should be the second paragraph. The owners manual explains the concept of the CBS and how to access the information in it. The icons explanation you posted are part of the CBS system.

You can scroll through the CBS menu and find which axle the system has detected has spent pads. The mileage interval will show "--". The CBS has information pertaining to either time or mileage (or both) for most of the basic service requirements. The 2010 version is more limited in menu items than the '09 to '06 models. But on your car it will show the estimated mileage remaining for the brake pads. The system is quite accurate if the brake system has been correctly maintained, which means a new sensor is used when new pads are fitted and the CBS reset.

Good luck with finding the problem.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-20-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0