E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Pan gasket + Water Pump question

04-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Oil Pan gasket + Water Pump question

328i with 69k, just replaced the valve cover gasket and OFHG, looks like I'll need to do my oil pan gasket in the near future.
I'm assuming replacing the water pump would be easier with having the subframe dropped? Would it make sense to be preventative at this point?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've done both jobs. And I published the N52 DIY for the WP back in 2011.

It surely would be easier to pull the water pump with the subframe dropped for a OPG change, but again, my advice is to keep the car scanned regularly and watch for pump codes rather than just replace the pump based on internet myth. Pulling the cooling fan out off the radiator gives more room to get the pump out. You may save 5 minutes of time with the subframe lowered, but if the $400 pump is operating fine, why replace it? I replaced my pump in July 2011 at 149,500 miles. The new pump I installed was the updated BMW P/N (circa 2008) and has lasted 222,000 miles so far.

I hope you have read the most excellent DIY on the oil pan gasket and plan on following it; it's probably the best DIY on E90 Post IMO. Use RTV gasket maker on the new gasket. My pan is leak free 3 years and almost 100,000 miles later. I used Permatex Ultra Black. I used a home-made engine hoist bar from a section of 2x6 pine and some 2x4 feet and a 1/2 bolt I had laying around. It worked perfect. I posted a pick of it in the OPG DIY. It saved cost of renting or buying a engine bar.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-20-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Gotcha, I see your point about prematurely replacing the pump. I thought if it was significantly easier with the subframe dropped I would go ahead and do it, but if it saves 5 minutes I'd rather not spend the money on a pump. And yeah the plan is to follow the how-to. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've done both jobs. And I published the N52 DIY for the WP back in 2011.

It surely would be easier to pull the water pump with the subframe dropped for a OPG change, but again, my advice is to keep the car scanned regularly and watch for pump codes rather than just replace the pump based on internet myth. Pulling the cooling fan out off the radiator gives more room to get the pump out. You may save 5 minutes of time with the subframe lowered, but if the $400 pump is operating fine, why replace it? I replaced my pump in July 2011 at 149,500 miles. The new pump I installed was the updated BMW P/N (circa 2008) and has lasted 222,000 miles so far.

I hope you have read the most excellent DIY on the oil pan gasket and plan on following it; it's probably the best DIY on E90 Post IMO. Use RTV gasket maker on the new gasket. My pan is leak free 3 years and almost 100,000 miles later. I used Permatex Ultra Black. I used a home-made engine hoist bar from a section of 2x6 pine and some 2x4 feet and a 1/2 bolt I had laying around. It worked perfect. I posted a pick of it in the OPG DIY. It saved cost of renting or buying a engine bar.

My 2 cents.
I just clicked through your threads and still need to find the DIY.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I just clicked through your threads and still need to find the DIY.

Cheers
I posted it under a different avitar..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Water Pump_T-stat DIY.pdf (110.6 KB, 65 views)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0