E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help me figure out my wiper problem?

02-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Help me figure out my wiper problem?

Alright so I have a 2011 335i n55. I haven't had functioning windshield wipers for a little over a year now. (I know I should have handled this sooner, but rain-x works wonders) Anyways, this problem all started when ever I first installed my JB4. I don't think it is JB4 related, but maybe related to the fact that I unplugged my battery to install it. Could I have messed up a wire while installing the JB4?

The wipers worked fine before, but now all they do it work twice and then no more. No matter if I push down on the stalk (one wipe), turn on the rain sensing wipers, push up (constant) all the wipers will do is cycle around 5 or 6 times then they just park randomly any where on the glass and wont do anything after doing that twice.

I have replaced my wiper relay, didn't work, checked all fused in the glove box and none are blown. Tired hitting on the wiper motor to see if it will help, kind of like the started on an old car.

I checked the plug at the motor and it seems that no matter what setting it push on the stalk I only get power for about 5 seconds to the green/black wire and no other wire gets powered. (in the link provided)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yy...zSDYwDvnagI2Ku

I am at a lose and am open to any suggestions at this point. Any help?

Thanks, Dylan
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

Happened in my 2011 while it was under CPO, dealer ended up replacing and recoding the JBE behind the glovebox. They didn’t provide enough notes to know exactly what it was, other than to say they tried replacing the wiper motor and that didn’t fix it. If you’re at a loss, it’s something to check.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
If the problem occurred immediately after installing the JB4, just unplug the battery awhile, uninstall the JB4, and recheck everything you originally touched. If that doesn't fix it then it sounds like permanent damage occurred to whatever module, etc, was originally affected. If it does fix it, then you know the cause. More fun would be reinstalling JB4 and seeing if the problem occurs again.

99% of the time any change made that coincides with a new problem is the change's fault (statistic completely made up).
Math: Change + New Problem = Change's Fault
      02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

You live and drove in Georgia without wiper blades for over a year?!

Sound like the JBE

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

I just completely uninstalled the JB4 and the problem persists. I have some weird symptoms that I just noticed while messing around. When I have the wiper relay uninstalled I can use my windshield washers as much I want, but obviously my wipers will not work at all. However, when I install the wiper relay I can no longer spray my windshield on there own. The only time I can get the spray to work is during the 5-6 wiper cycle.

I have no idea what that tells me, but I do know I'm still at a loss.

I guess I'll look in to the JBE. Is that the entire fuse panel? That sounds awful to replace.

Thanks, Dylan

EDIT: Could anyone with the Bentley manual maybe post the electrical diagram?

Last edited by Dylan484; 02-28-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
I just completely uninstalled the JB4 and the problem persists. I have some weird symptoms that I just noticed while messing around. When I have the wiper relay uninstalled I can use my windshield washers as much I want, but obviously my wipers will not work at all. However, when I install the wiper relay I can no longer spray my windshield on there own. The only time I can get the spray to work is during the 5-6 wiper cycle.

I have no idea what that tells me, but I do know I'm still at a loss.

I guess I'll look in to the JBE. Is that the entire fuse panel? That sounds awful to replace.

Thanks, Dylan

EDIT: Could anyone with the Bentley manual maybe post the electrical diagram?
Just download it yourself for free.
      02-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...I guess I'll look in to the JBE. Is that the entire fuse panel? That sounds awful to replace...EDIT: Could anyone with the Bentley manual maybe post the electrical diagram?
The JBE is the Electronic Module BELOW the JB where the fuses are. The JBE, among other things, controls the Wiper Motor operation based upon all the various possible inputs. Best source for Electrical Circuit Diagrams is TIS. Here are two examples for your 335i, (1) Wipe-wash Control and (2) Fuse F50 power supply:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/upOxh9C

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fuse/BtW99Uxj

TIS circuit diagrams are interactive, meaning you can click on any BLUE Component ID#, such as M3a for the Wiper Motor, and see other information on that component, such as Installation Location, etc.

Here's a link to a pdf version of Bentley:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php

George
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      11-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Sedan (e90)

I'm having an issue similar to this: put on a new wiper blades this morning (Bosch Icons) and gave them a test with the sprayer. The wipers didn't "park" correctly at the bottom of the windshield. I thought this was odd so I pushed down on the wiper stalk to do a wipe and they wipers were unresponsive. I turned the car off and back on and they worked when I pushed down on the stalk again. This time the wipers parked in the middle of the windshield. This same thing has happened several times today. Any assistance would be appreciated. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Make sure the wiper arm is not loose on the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
I'm having an issue similar to this: put on a new wiper blades this morning (Bosch Icons) and gave them a test with the sprayer. The wipers didn't "park" correctly at the bottom of the windshield. I thought this was odd so I pushed down on the wiper stalk to do a wipe and they wipers were unresponsive. I turned the car off and back on and they worked when I pushed down on the stalk again. This time the wipers parked in the middle of the windshield. This same thing has happened several times today. Any assistance would be appreciated. TIA!
I had wipers that were parking a bit high (would move up slightly after reaching the bottom of their travel). Turned out to be the wiper relay, which is documented on here somewhere (not by me). Seems these tend to get sticky and then fail eventually. There's an updated part #.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #11
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep

Well...problem solved...and it was my fault. I replaced my spark plugs over the weekend and when I reinstalled the right strut brace and bolt it pinched/severed the wiper wiring harness. Fortunately it was only one wire in the harness that was pinched so I soldered-in a splice wire, a couple layers of electrical tape and all is good again.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      11-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

FFR, replacing the spark plugs does not require removing the strut brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
It's in the Spark Plug Replacement DIY on the site here. Makes things much easier to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Quote:
It's in the Spark Plug Replacement DIY on the site here. Makes things much easier to remove it.
Wise-Ass Questions/Observations:
1) Exactly how much TIME did removing that strut brace actually SAVE you?
2) I, and probably MOST folks on this site, have successfully replaced plugs and/or coils WITHOUT removal of the strut brace.
3) Multiple/numerous reports on this and other forums of hasty strut brace replacement (more often on Left associated with Starter Removal) pinching wiper harness wires at firewall, so IF you need to do it, use CAUTION on reinstall.

Glad you found the issue!

Just curious how you identified the pinched wire (test conducted, such as voltage or continuity to ground at Wiper Motor Connector) and WHAT led you to conclude the wire was pinched by brace @ firewall (I presume you did NOT just start disassembling the car randomly ;-) ?

EDIT for Additional Question: I've never taken the time to figure out the "Wiper-Park" part of the Wipe/Wash circuit. Did you make Note of which wire (colors) was pinched/ grounded, & HOW/WHY that caused the weird parking operation? Any fuse blown?

Thanks,
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 11-06-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Wise-Ass Questions/Observations:
1) Exactly how much TIME did removing that strut brace actually SAVE you?
2) I, and probably MOST folks on this site, have successfully replaced plugs and/or coils WITHOUT removal of the strut brace.
3) Multiple/numerous reports on this and other forums of hasty strut brace replacement (more often on Left associated with Starter Removal) pinching wiper harness wires at firewall, so IF you need to do it, use CAUTION on reinstall.

Glad you found the issue!

Just curious how you identified the pinched wire (test conducted, such as voltage or continuity to ground at Wiper Motor Connector) and WHAT led you to conclude the wire was pinched by brace @ firewall (I presume you did NOT just start disassembling the car randomly ;-) ?

EDIT for Additional Question: I've never taken the time to figure out the "Wiper-Park" part of the Wipe/Wash circuit. Did you make Note of which wire (colors) was pinched/ grounded, & HOW/WHY that caused the weird parking operation? Any fuse blown?

Thanks,
George
I appreciate your wise-ass questions/observations!! lol

Removing the brace took a few minutes - I'll leave it on next time per your advice. I found it by looking into the forums and saw it could be multiple things: relay, fuse, bad wiper motor and a pinched wiper harness. Fuse was fine...then took the small plastic cap off where the strut bolt is and saw the pinched harness. Fortunately it was a quick/easy fix.

There are 4 wires in the harness: 3 large and one small. It was the smaller one that was pinched: white with a brown stripe IIRC. I'm guessing the smaller wire controlled the wiper parking operation.

Thanks and hope all this info saves headaches for others in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...There are 4 wires in the [wiper] harness: 3 large and one small. It was the smaller one that was pinched: white with a brown stripe IIRC. I'm guessing the smaller wire controlled the wiper parking operation...
Thanks for taking the time to describe which wire was pinched. If it was the Smaller diameter wire of the 4 Wiper Motor wires in the harness, then it was the Brown/Green wire shown in this TIS circuit diagram for your 2011 335i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/upOxh9C

The wiper motor (M3a) is shown in the lower-right of the schematic. For those NOT used to looking at TIS circuit diagrams, the number beside each wire, 0.35 beside the Brown/Green wire labeled "RSK_VO", and 2.5 beside each of the other 3 wires, is the cross-sectional area of each wire in square millimeters area.

So the Brown/Green wire is the significantly smaller diameter wire of the 4 wires. Also, you see that it is powered when Kl.15 is active (Ignition on -- as evidenced by "15" above the resistor symbol). There is NO dedicated fuse for that wire, but power is supplied by the JBE (A4010a), plugged into the JB.

That Brown/Green wire DOES provide power for parking of the wipers when you turn continuous operation off, or when pressing stalk down for single stroke operation, as I interpret the schematic. I presume simply correcting the short to ground restored proper operation, and I trust NO fuse was blown?

Thanks again for sharing the information,
George
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #17
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep

Great information, gbalthrop! No fuses were blown.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F22 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Well...problem solved...and it was my fault. I replaced my spark plugs over the weekend and when I reinstalled the right strut brace and bolt it pinched/severed the wiper wiring harness. Fortunately it was only one wire in the harness that was pinched so I soldered-in a splice wire, a couple layers of electrical tape and all is good again.
I did the exact same, and teared apart my wiper power cables.
Took to the local indy, and they soldered it and covered with electric tape, and I am good to go.

Didn't know that the removal of strut bar wasn't necessary until now. Every spark plug/coils DIY guides were showing me to remove them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #19
lordmulgath
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Switch failure perhaps? Maybe it isn't making proper contact with the "full on" position?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #20
Andreiduta444
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 m Pack

Hello mate Dylan 484 , how did you solve the problem?
I have exactly the same problem ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #21
Andreiduta444
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 m Pack

Quote:
Alright so I have a 2011 335i n55. I haven't had functioning windshield wipers for a little over a year now. (I know I should have handled this sooner, but rain-x works wonders) Anyways, this problem all started when ever I first installed my JB4. I don't think it is JB4 related, but maybe related to the fact that I unplugged my battery to install it. Could I have messed up a wire while installing the JB4?

The wipers worked fine before, but now all they do it work twice and then no more. No matter if I push down on the stalk (one wipe), turn on the rain sensing wipers, push up (constant) all the wipers will do is cycle around 5 or 6 times then they just park randomly any where on the glass and wont do anything after doing that twice.

I have replaced my wiper relay, didn't work, checked all fused in the glove box and none are blown. Tired hitting on the wiper motor to see if it will help, kind of like the started on an old car.

I checked the plug at the motor and it seems that no matter what setting it push on the stalk I only get power for about 5 seconds to the green/black wire and no other wire gets powered. (in the link provided)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yy...zSDYwDvnagI2Ku

I am at a lose and am open to any suggestions at this point. Any help?

Thanks, Dylan
How did you solved the problem mate , i have exactly the same problem with my wipers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 05:56 AM   #22
American Cincinnatus
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiduta444 View Post
How did you solved the problem mate , i have exactly the same problem with my wipers
Sounds like his problem was the same as Arby's. The dealership pinched my wiper motor cable upon reinstallation of the strut brace. Exact same symptoms.
Appreciate 0