E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Unwritten rule...do you abide by it?

04-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #89
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
off topic....can the slow fcukers keep OUT of MY right lane!...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #90
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
2 things i cant stand;

People tailing my ass egging me to go when im not interested (and im talking about right up my ass for over 10 mins when all i want to do is cruise home in peace) and people who race on motorways in moderate taffic weaving in n out of lanes, undertaking etc...

The first thing is something that personally irritates me because i dont know bout you guys but its intimidating when you have a twat almost touching your bumper for 20 minutes, i mean they may not give a shit about their car but i like mine n i want its rear in one piece.
+100

If I see a Porsche or something zooming dowm the fast lane behind me, I usually get out of teh way. But if somebody tries to force me out by tailgating me I tend to gradually slow down etc. hoping to irritate the shit out of them. Nobody has the right to bully me out of the way. If you need to get through I will generally make way, but if you don't give me a chance to do so and start acting an arse instead, then you'll get treated like one.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #91
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

If I see a Porsche coming behind.....I just think mid life crisis tosser who has bought one to comfort his ego!!! Damn that could be me in a couple of years
      04-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #92
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
+100

If I see a Porsche or something zooming dowm the fast lane behind me, I usually get out of teh way. But if somebody tries to force me out by tailgating me I tend to gradually slow down etc. hoping to irritate the shit out of them. Nobody has the right to bully me out of the way. If you need to get through I will generally make way, but if you don't give me a chance to do so and start acting an arse instead, then you'll get treated like one.
+1.

If I am overtaking and didn't hold anyone up/slow anyone down by pulling out (i.e. they were not there/in sight when I started my overtake) and then some wanker races up behind me and sits on my bumper while I am overtaking I will just lift off the throttle until they back off.

I won't be goaded into speeding/completing my overtake any faster than usual/I deem necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #93
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
+100

so true. slowing down and annoying them can be fun but when im in the slow lane minding my own buisness and you have someone who refuses to overtake and sits on your arse for ages can get annoying (even if you slow down, the pesky buggers refuse to overtake).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #94
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yep,

thats why you have to do it carefully and vigilantly. Not only for coppers but for killing others ETC.

I only ever kill others vigilantly
      04-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #95
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
+1.

If I am overtaking and didn't hold anyone up/slow anyone down by pulling out (i.e. they were not there/in sight when I started my overtake) and then some wanker races up behind me and sits on my bumper while I am overtaking I will just lift off the throttle until they back off.

I won't be goaded into speeding/completing my overtake any faster than usual/I deem necessary.
Quote:
so true. slowing down and annoying them can be fun but when im in the slow lane minding my own buisness and you have someone who refuses to overtake and sits on your arse for ages can get annoying (even if you slow down, the pesky buggers refuse to overtake).

thanks for driving "slowly" in the right hand lane ...."on purpose" .....

and I bet it you hate it when the c8ck undertake you guys, using the empty left hand lane!....

Toxic, when you say some "wanker races up behind you", I don't think every car is a 911 Turbo which can achieve "extra ordinary" acceleration that they suddenly appear in your rear view mirror....just by magic..... ( altho, at a UK Meet, one 911 did appear in my rear view just by magic.....and while i was moving to the left.....within half a second the 911 was already 2 cars in front of me!!!...)

but most of the time, if you keep an eye on your rear view mirror , you should be able to see a normal car comming at a higher speed than what you're doing....and in an ideal world, you should move to the left.... no one gets a prize for staying in the right hand lane you know!....People need to start understanding the purpose of a right hand lane....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #96
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Toxic, when you say some "wanker races up behind you", I don't think every car is a 911 Turbo which can achieve "extra ordinary" acceleration that they suddenly appear in your rear view mirror....just by magic..... ( altho, at a UK Meet, one 911 did appear in my rear view just by magic.....and while i was moving to the left.....within half a second the 911 was already 2 cars in front of me!!!...)
If you were in a position that you could immediately move left when you saw it behind you, you should already have been in the lane to your left.

Quote:
but most of the time, if you keep an eye on your rear view mirror , you should be able to see a normal car comming at a higher speed than what you're doing....and in an ideal world, you should move to the left.... no one gets a prize for staying in the right hand lane you know!....People need to start understanding the purpose of a right hand lane....
Yes, they do - it's for overtaking cars in the lane to its left. Once you've completed your overtake, you move to the left. It's not for people to bomb along at 100mph and attempt to bully people out of the way by tailgating and flashing headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #97
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

No, you're right.

However, let's say there's a queue of slow moving traffic (heavies, caravans, grannies etc) in L1 and L2 is full of the usual 60mph dawdlers.

I'm in my default driving position (L1) and I come up on this cluster fuck of drivers who don't have couple of brains cells to share between them.

I pull out from L1 to L2 to overtake the rearmost traffic in L1. In doing so I catch up to the rear-marker of the middle-lane-morons (of which there are many).

I check and there's nothing in L3 presently, either alongside me or behind me for some distance. I pull out from L2 to L3 and proceed to overtake the traffic in L2 at a speed I deem suitable. For the sake of argument lets say that speed is 70mph, what with it being the speed limit and all.

Now, while I am in the process of overtaking a queue of say 6-7 cars someone has caught up with me in L3. I can't pullover to L2 because I am alongside traffic/it would mean pulling into someone else's braking distance.

The driver behind is now right on my bumper. What do I do?

1. Pull over into someone else's braking distance?

2. Pull into the side of another car?

3. Put my foot on the gas, breach the speed limit, risk points on my license just so the knob behind me can continue "making progress"?

Or do I do the sensible thing and complete my overtake as I see fit?

Let's be clear, I'm not suggesting holding someone up for the sake of it. I'm talking about not being bullied into going faster than I want/deem suitable.

However, if someone wants to force me into a dangerous situation (by tailgating me) I will slow down and open up a gap between myself and any traffic ahead of me.

If the tailgater continues/persists in aggressive driving/behaviour I will take extract some vengeance and a modicum pleasure by speed-matching the traffic in L2 so the guy behind me can't undertake me either.

Bottom line, don't drive like a c**t and I wont treat you like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
If you were in a position that you could immediately move left when you saw it behind you, you should already have been in the lane to your left.

Yes, they do - it's for overtaking cars in the lane to its left. Once you've completed your overtake, you move to the left. It's not for people to bomb along at 100mph and attempt to bully people out of the way by tailgating and flashing headlights.
Exactly. Kev, what's your default driving position? Do you pull in after overtakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #98
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:

and I bet it you hate it when the c8ck undertake you guys, using the empty left hand lane!....
I dont know if you aimed that at me or what but im talking about people who mainly tail me when im in cruising in the slow lane (left lane) looking for a race, i thought i was clear in my post so reread.

No one in their right mind should be driving slow in the fast lane when the other lanes clear and i dont think any of us here is stupid enough to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #99
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, I think you are looking at this issue from an inside out position.

Ok, you and me might like, on ocassion, to go fast, right? But imagine you're a normal driver. If someone is coming roaring down the fast (or 'overtaking') lane behind you, you should, for a number of reasons, probably get out of the way, yes? But in another sense, if you are already doing near to, or more than, the speed limit, then techincally nobody should need to pass you, right? So, anybody who does feel the need to pass you, at 71 mph or faster, should expect to wait until you're out of the way.

"Excuse me, I want to exceed the speed limit, please."

"Oh, well, old chap, give me jiffy and I'll do the necessary."

In other words, a case of good manners.

But if you think you have more right than me to *any* lane on the road then fuck off. Yeah?

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #100
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Wrong attitude that. Top many pompous pricks have it too.

If you wish to do no more than 71mph then let others do as they wish and why go to some lengths to deliberately hold them up.
      04-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #101
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:

If you wish to do no more than 71mph then let others do as they wish and why go to some lengths to deliberately hold them up.
Thanks!

You must have missed the bit where I said "techincally". And the bit where I said I generally get out of the way when people want to go faster.

What I meant was when people don't give you a chance, and/or tailgate you, that I don't stand for. Nobody has the right to *demand* that I get out of teh way and if you try to exercise that non-existent right then you'll get short shrift from me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #102
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I dont know if you aimed that at me or what but im talking about people who mainly tail me when im in cruising in the slow lane (left lane) looking for a race, i thought i was clear in my post so reread.

No one in their right mind should be driving slow in the fast lane when the other lanes clear and i dont think any of us here is stupid enough to do that.
correct....misread you!....

and BTW, I'M NOT FOR TAILGAITING.

If you are driving "normally" i.e not speeding or overtaking ....and you're in the left hand lane, anyone tailgaiting you is the MORON.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #103
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

If you're in L3 overtaking slower moving traffic in L1/2 then you have as much right to be there as anyone else, as long as you are indeed in the process of overtaking and the act of pulling out into L3 didn't cause anyone undue hardship.

If there's nowhere to pull over to when faster moving traffic catches you up what right do they have to bully/force you into going faster than you want?

I'm not suggesting holding people up for the sake of it. But if they want to drive like idiots and try to intimidate me I will make their lives difficult until they back off to a safe/reasonable distance.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #104
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
No, you're right.

However, let's say there's a queue of slow moving traffic (heavies, caravans, grannies etc) in L1 and L2 is full of the usual 60mph dawdlers.

I'm in my default driving position (L1) and I come up on this cluster fuck of drivers who don't have couple of brains cells to share between them.

I pull out from L1 to L2 to overtake the rearmost traffic in L1. In doing so I catch up to the rear-marker of the middle-lane-morons (of which there are many).

I check and there's nothing in L3 presently, either alongside me or behind me for some distance. I pull out from L2 to L3 and proceed to overtake the traffic in L2 at a speed I deem suitable. For the sake of argument lets say that speed is 70mph, what with it being the speed limit and all.

Now, while I am in the process of overtaking a queue of say 6-7 cars someone has caught up with me in L3. I can't pullover to L2 because I am alongside traffic/it would mean pulling into someone else's braking distance.

The driver behind is now right on my bumper. What do I do?

1. Pull over into someone else's braking distance?

2. Pull into the side of another car?

3. Put my foot on the gas, breach the speed limit, risk points on my license just so the knob behind me can continue "making progress"?

Or do I do the sensible thing and complete my overtake as I see fit?

Let's be clear, I'm not suggesting holding someone up for the sake of it. I'm talking about not being bullied into going faster than I want/deem suitable.

However, if someone wants to force me into a dangerous situation (by tailgating me) I will slow down and open up a gap between myself and any traffic ahead of me.

If the tailgater continues/persists in aggressive driving/behaviour I will take extract some vengeance and a modicum pleasure by speed-matching the traffic in L2 so the guy behind me can't undertake me either.

Bottom line, don't drive like a c**t and I wont treat you like one.

Exactly. Kev, what's your default driving position? Do you pull in after overtakes?

Hear what your saying Toxic, you're right in driving the way you are in the situation you described...

From your original post, I had the impression that some of you had an evil pleasure of "staying" in the right hand lane to hold up any cars wishing to go at a higher speed....

and about my driving position Toxic, we had this discussion before....told you that my driving speed and style does not justify me to be in the left hand lane!...As most of the time, my speed is higher than the cars in the left hand lane...so I have to overtake....(within the legal speed limit) ....and coming back to L2, would not be a safe option, as I would need to overtake the next car again....if I followed the "get back to the left lane after overtaking", then I would be "zooming" dangerously in and out of L2 and L3....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #105
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hear what your saying Toxic, you're right in driving the way you are in the situation you described...

From your original post, I had the impression that some of you had an evil pleasure of "staying" in the right hand lane to hold up any cars wishing to go at a higher speed....
No way. I will not occupy L2/3 unless I am overtaking. As soon as I've completed my overtakes and I am a safe distance ahead of the traffic I've just overtaken (say a couple of car lengths/when I can see the front bumper of the overtaken car in my RVM) I will pull in provided there is space to do so.

Quote:
and about my driving position Toxic, we had this discussion before....told you
that my driving speed and style does not justify me to be in the left hand lane!...As most of the time, my speed is higher than the cars in the left hand lane...so I have to overtake....(within the legal speed limit) ....and coming back to L2, would not be a safe option, as I would need to overtake the next car again....if I followed the "get back to the left lane after overtaking", then I would be "zooming" dangerously in and out of L2 and L3....
Oh yeah, I remember now.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #106
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
But if you think you have more right than me to *any* lane on the road then fuck off. Yeah?

I will have "more right" than you if I'm overtaking and using the right hand lane, while you are just "cruising" at 69mph in the right hand lane while theres L1 and L2 ....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #107
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will have "more right" than you if I'm overtaking and using the right hand lane, while you are just "cruising" at 69mph in the right hand lane while theres L1 and L2 ....
I think FM has already established that he'd only be in L3 (or L2 for that matter) if he were overtaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #108
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
good point and I should point out my speeds were indicated. Sadly probably not that high in reality as BMW speedo's tend to overread a good 10%
FWIW I recorded a real 155 as 160 in car in Germany.
Bouncing off the speed limiter.

I do have wider section tyres with oem profiles though, so the over read is reduced a tiny bit.

Still surprisingly acurate though.
      04-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #109
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
and about my driving position Toxic, we had this discussion before....told you that my driving speed and style does not justify me to be in the left hand lane!...As most of the time, my speed is higher than the cars in the left hand lane...so I have to overtake....(within the legal speed limit) ....and coming back to L2, would not be a safe option, as I would need to overtake the next car again....if I followed the "get back to the left lane after overtaking", then I would be "zooming" dangerously in and out of L2 and L3....
Not sure how this can work. In my experience, if someone is in the fast (or 'overtaking') lane, and going faster than all the traffic on their left, then they are generally speeeding. So how can they be "within the legal speed limit"?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #110
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think FM has already established that he'd only be in L3 (or L2 for that matter) if he were overtaking.
Yes plus the vast majority of incidents of tailgating I have experinced have not been on motorways anyhow.

Example: I'm on a B road, with a car in front of me that's doing significantly less than the speed limit. But it's a twisty road, and going through alternating sections of legal/illegal to overtake, so I haven't found a comfortable stretch to get past yet. But I have a knob behind me tailgating me and flashing his lights as if you say, "hurry up and overtake". In that sort of situation, you'll get the old two fingered salute from me.

Last edited by FieldingMellish; 04-30-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0